What's new

New Here New Futur

Hello.

I've always dreaded shaving as I have a very tough beard that eats the Mach 3, quads, and other disposable type blades for breakfast. I always hated the way those things clog too.

I should say here that I'm a trucker so that this next part will make a little more sense.

About 2 weeks ago I was checking out the display cases in a truckstop knife shop. In the case I saw a Futur and asked to examine it. I couldn't believe how heavy the thing is, but it struck me a good quality razor (better be for that price LOL). I decided to go ahead and buy it to give it a try.

I have to say that this is without exception the best razor I have ever used. Adjusted to the number 4 setting it gives me a very nice shave and I don't get the irritation on my neck that I always got with those cheesy multiple blade rigs.

It did take me a few shaves to get the hang of using it properly, and tinkering around a bit with the adjustment to get the right shave without irritation. I was foolish enough to use it on 6 the first shave. It gave me a close shave alright, but left me with serious razor burn on my neck. Cranked back to 4 seems like a good compromise that doesn't eat my neck.

While I use a good quality canned shave cream I hope to eventually pick up a travel type brush and soap container. A regular mug and brush just wouldn't work out too well on the road.

As the Futur is still new to me any comments and/or advice are greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on your progress so far. You will definately see a marked improvement when you try your first creams/soaps and a brush!

Like your Avatar...and Sig :thumbup1:

Brian

Welcome Mason!
Glad to see that you like the Futur. It is a fine shaving machine! You might like to try the QED shaving sticks. Great for travel, easy to pack and easy to use. While you're there, you might check out the Savile Row SR-100 travel brush.. Good price, good value too.

madmedic said:
Congratulations on your progress so far. You will definately see a marked improvement when you try your first creams/soaps and a brush!

Like your Avatar...and Sig :thumbup1:

Brian
Thanks. I have an old badger brush I use at home with plain old Williams soap that I've never been happy with. I'm looking forward to trying some better soaps.

I've been a linux nut for many years. I've been using Slackware almost since it began. I'm not a geek, nope, not me. :biggrin:

Austin said:
Welcome to B&B Mason! For shave soaps I would recommend www.saintcharlesshave.com or your local Target for some Proraso shave soap. You can pick up a fairly reasonably priced shave brush at www.qedusa.com or your local Crabtree & Evelyn store.
Thanks, I'll check out those sites. No Target or Crabtree & Evelyn stores around here. Is Palmolive any good? I noticed that CVS carries tubes of that.

guenron said:
Welcome Mason!
Glad to see that you like the Futur. It is a fine shaving machine! You might like to try the QED shaving sticks. Great for travel, easy to pack and easy to use. While you're there, you might check out the Savile Row SR-100 travel brush.. Good price, good value too.
Thanks. I looked over that site and found the travel brush. Looks like what I need. But I couldn't find the sticks to which you refer.

Edit: I found the sticks. Thanks.

MasonM said:
Thank you. I'm surprised by the quick replies.
There is alot of good people around here with alot of good information. I would also definitely second Ron's suggestion...shave sticks are great for travel...great scents and they work really well. That and a travel brush would be the great makings of a road kit.

boboakalfb said:
There is alot of good people around here with alot of good information.
So it would seem. I'm glad I found this "place".

I would also definitely second Ron's suggestion...shave sticks are great for travel...great scents and they work really well. That and a travel brush would be the great makings of a road kit.
Cool. I've never even seen shaving sticks. How does one use them?

MasonM said:
Thanks. I looked over that site and found the travel brush. Looks like what I need. But I couldn't find the sticks to which you refer.
Another victim of the WEB SITE from H E L L!:lol: If you look down on the lower left-hand side of the QED home page, you'll note a flashing CLICK-ME labeled OTHER FABULOUS TOILETRY PRODUCTS OFFERED BY QED. Click away. Halfway down the page is a paragraph, QEDman [USA]:, containing details and links to pix.

guenron said:
Another victim of the WEB SITE from H E L L!:lol:
If you look down on the lower left-hand side of the QED home page, you'll note a flashing CLICK-ME labeled OTHER FABULOUS TOILETRY PRODUCTS OFFERED BY QED. CLick away. Halfway down the page is a paragraph containing details and links to pix.
Thanks. I kept poking around and did eventually find them. To be honest I have no idea what they are or how to use them.

MasonM said:
So it would seem. I'm glad I found this "place".

Cool. I've never even seen shaving sticks. How does one use them?
Try this thread! One need not shower before use despite Scotto's protestations otherwise.:001_rolle

Ok, this must be about the tenth time I've posted this, so here goes -

For QED soap, including shave sticks: Go to QED website. On the menu bar on the left scroll to the bottom and click on "More great toiletry products...." (easy to find, there is a little flashing light by it). You will find yourself at a page that has endless products that Charles has added since his website was updated. Down near the middle you will find QED man soaps listed, including the Shave sticks. He has not set up ordering for any of the stuff on this page, so you will have to email him with what you want, and he will take care of you. If you are slightly uncomfortable with this idea, don't worry, Charles is truly the best.

As far as the shave sticks themselves, that is a great plan. I love them for travel. In case the concept is unfamiliar, it is sort of like a deoderant stick. Just keep pushing it up to expose a little more. Screw on cap keeps it very well controlled in your shave kit. There is a thread on lathering with them at the top of the Soaps forum. Easy, just wipe all over your face and then work with a brush, adding water as needed till you get a good lather. I suggest Pine and Cedarwood and Sandlewood scents, but that would really depend on personal preferences.

moses said:
Ok, this must be about the tenth time I've posted this, so here goes -

For QED soap, including shave sticks: Go to QED website. On the menu bar on the left scroll to the bottom and click on "More great toiletry products...." (easy to find, there is a little flashing light by it). You will find yourself at a page that has endless products that Charles has added since his website was updated. Down near the middle you will find QED man soaps listed, including the Shave sticks. He has not set up ordering for any of the stuff on this page, so you will have to email him with what you want, and he will take care of you. If you are slightly uncomfortable with this idea, don't worry, Charles is truly the best.

As far as the shave sticks themselves, that is a great plan. I love them for travel. In case the concept is unfamiliar, it is sort of like a deoderant stick. Just keep pushing it up to expose a little more. Screw on cap keeps it very well controlled in your shave kit. There is a thread on lathering with them at the top of the Soaps forum. Easy, just wipe all over your face and then work with a brush, adding water as needed till you get a good lather. I suggest Pine and Cedarwood and Sandlewood scents, but that would really depend on personal preferences.

Very informative, thank you.

Top Bottom