What's new

New here, need help on where to buy

Hi folks, I am new here and I need help on where to buy a Gillette adjustable razor. I recently returned to shaving with a safety razor (Edwin Jagger DE89). I got to remembering the Gillette adjustable razors I used when I started shaving in the late '60s and early '70's. I had a Fatboy and I think a Slim. What I want to know is whether there is a reputable place to buy one of these in great condition.

Hi folks, I am new here and I need help on where to buy a Gillette adjustable razor. I recently returned to shaving with a safety razor (Edwin Jagger DE89). I got to remembering the Gillette adjustable razors I used when I started shaving in the late '60s and early '70's. I had a Fatboy and I think a Slim. What I want to know is whether there is a reputable place to buy one of these in great condition.
You can use the Buy-Sell-Trade forum here (BST forum for short). These razors come up often, many of them are in great shape. People have to post decent photos of what they are selling and indicate the condition it's in.

The bst is great for conus members, I haven't seen many offers from European members. If you live on the continent you could always use Etsy or EBay. Add a filter to narrow down the object location to avoid paying excessive custom fees.

Thank you all very much. I'll look into some of these. I've been afraid to buy off of eBay. I did find a place that had what I am looking for, but then I read on this forum that they cannot be trusted. After that, I found a lot of bad publicity about the place. Good thing I looked. It is hard to know where a good place to shop is.

You can find great deals on the bay. I would just ask questions and ask for pics before you purchase. The BST here is great and so is ATT as mentioned above. I also like Back Roads Gold on ETSY and all of his services he offers.

Like others have mentioned, I would recommend ebay. There are adjustable auctions ending almost hourly so you should be able to find exactly what you want there.

If you're patient, you can find a nice Slim & Fat Boy on our BST. Buying on the bay can be perilous, especially for the more sought-after adjustables. Ask for lots of pictures from all angles. And PayPal Goods & Services is the only method of payment I make. I've had folks insist on PayPal Friends & Family & I walk away rather than buy from a stranger with absolutely no protection. Didn't mean to get on a soapbox, sorry. Just want you to be careful. This is a great site with lots of good folks. Stick around & jump in on some of our fun. And keep an eye on the BST & you'll find your gems. Enjoy!

You can find great deals on the bay. I would just ask questions and ask for pics before you purchase. The BST here is great and so is ATT as mentioned above. I also like Back Roads Gold on ETSY and all of his services he offers.
Back Roads Gold is a great place for vintage safety razors. I had 3 Gillette razors replated there a couple years ago. Great prices and great service ! My two Aristocrats and 1930''s open comb came back in "new" condition. Very pleased with their work. Highly recommended !

I was unlucky with my slim from the bay and lucky with my black beauty from a member in a Dutch shaving forum known as Geert who knows what he sells through and through as na Avid Gillette collector.

I would recommend the bst from b&b as best option. Even if there are plenty of options on the bay and you can find used razors in other international shops.

Like other members have said, the BST forums on this board are a good place to explore hardware. Reddit’s shave_bazaar is also a good place for used hardware. eBay isn’t terrible, but I find that the prices are a little higher than buying direct from forum members.

One of the good things about buying used is that you don’t pay the depreciation yourself, and you can sell your gear for a price close to what you paid. That way you don’t have to commit to anything and you don’t generally lose money except for some shipping fees.

Thank you all very much. I'll look into some of these. I've been afraid to buy off of eBay. I did find a place that had what I am looking for, but then I read on this forum that they cannot be trusted. After that, I found a lot of bad publicity about the place. Good thing I looked. It is hard to know where a good place to shop is.
eBay is fine. I've bid for and won many vintage shaving items there at reasonable prices. Just look out for vendors with negative feedback. Good feedback score = good to go. @richy240 is correct that you may get a better price on BST here but there are many slims and fatboys on eBay every day.

I’ve done Razor Emporium and eBay for old Gillettes, both with good results.
I have read so much terrible feedback about Razor Emporium that I got scared off. They had a razor I really wanted, but the negative reviews were a real turn off. Have they improved?

I have read so much terrible feedback about Razor Emporium that I got scared off. They had a razor I really wanted, but the negative reviews were a real turn off. Have they improved?
I first used them less than a year ago, and I’ve had no problems.

Top Bottom