What's new

New here, but long time wet shaver

Hi gang, I came of shaving age during the reign of the DE, so naturally that was the first razor I shaved with. One of my bar mitzvah gifts was a Remington rotary razor that always gave me razor burn. Progressed from there through succeeding generations of cartridges and disposables.

In the late 90's switched from gel gunk to Kiss my Face and suddenly decided shaving could be improved. In the early 2000's decided that I wanted to try DE wet shaving again, became a visitor on Shave My Face and have not looked back over the past 15 years.

When I started out, I bought different razors, blades, brushes, creams, soaps and fragrances like they zombie apocalypse was coming and I would never get another chance. After a few years, I realized that wet shavers - like any aficionado - fall into two camps. Those who look for what works for them and once they find it, stick with it. The other camp, which is probably the majority of the shave forum readers, have a wanderlust for the newest thing and absolutely have to try them. After I realized that I fell into the former camp, my reading of SMF and BB fell off and I only checked in when one of the products I liked was no longer available and I was looking for a replacement (e.g., the old Proraso green shave balm and the QED hard soaps).

I still have a closet in my bathroom stocked with things I have not used in years, but since I am a pack rat, have disposed of little. Here's my current Every Day Shave (EDS) set up:
  • Razor: Gillette Fat Boy (still have 3 Merkurs)
  • Blades: Israeli Personas (For years I used a Merkur slant and Feather blades, but finally admitted I got a better EDS with the Fat Boy and Personas. Sort of like the shooter who finally admits to themselves that they shoot better with 9mm than the 454 casull )
  • Soap, Summer Proraso Green and Barrister and Mann Cool Reserve, Winter: Tobac and Barrister and Mann Seville
  • Head Shave (since about a year ago when I decided to go aerodynamic) Headblade razor, cartridge and Slick cream
  • Brush: QED Savile Row Silvertip
  • Shaving Bowl: Moss scuttle
  • After Shave: Weleda balm
  • Fragrances: T&H Grafton, Tabac, Penhaligon Blenheim, B&M Reserve Cool
For travel, I keep it simple:
  • Razor and Blade: Harry's
  • Head: Second Headblade and small Slick
  • Soap: Tabac stick
  • Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 (great for face lathering due to stiffness)
  • Balm: Weleda Balm
  • Fragrance: Penhaligon in small spritzer
I thought it was time to see what's new in the world of shaving, so I decided to register and share my tale.

Hello all!

M

member 119848

Hello Bklynboy, nice to meet you!
Nice introduction. So you belong to the camp who likes to tries things... your wetshaving life will kick-***, for sure! In no time you will get addictive disorders I'm telling you!
Warm Welcome! But wet-shaving is a nice obsession.
Greetings from Germany.
Fabien

Howdy! Glad you could join us!

The web pages for West Coast Shaving, Maggard Razors, alrossa, Italian Barber, and Shaving ie. are fun to browse. However, a fellow with a Fatboy is well equipped!

Mac

Hi gang, I came of shaving age during the reign of the DE, so naturally that was the first razor I shaved with. One of my bar mitzvah gifts was a Remington rotary razor that always gave me razor burn. Progressed from there through succeeding generations of cartridges and disposables.

In the late 90's switched from gel gunk to Kiss my Face and suddenly decided shaving could be improved. In the early 2000's decided that I wanted to try DE wet shaving again, became a visitor on Shave My Face and have not looked back over the past 15 years.

When I started out, I bought different razors, blades, brushes, creams, soaps and fragrances like they zombie apocalypse was coming and I would never get another chance. After a few years, I realized that wet shavers - like any aficionado - fall into two camps. Those who look for what works for them and once they find it, stick with it. The other camp, which is probably the majority of the shave forum readers, have a wanderlust for the newest thing and absolutely have to try them. After I realized that I fell into the former camp, my reading of SMF and BB fell off and I only checked in when one of the products I liked was no longer available and I was looking for a replacement (e.g., the old Proraso green shave balm and the QED hard soaps).

I still have a closet in my bathroom stocked with things I have not used in years, but since I am a pack rat, have disposed of little. Here's my current Every Day Shave (EDS) set up:
  • Razor: Gillette Fat Boy (still have 3 Merkurs)
  • Blades: Israeli Personas (For years I used a Merkur slant and Feather blades, but finally admitted I got a better EDS with the Fat Boy and Personas. Sort of like the shooter who finally admits to themselves that they shoot better with 9mm than the 454 casull )
  • Soap, Summer Proraso Green and Barrister and Mann Cool Reserve, Winter: Tobac and Barrister and Mann Seville
  • Head Shave (since about a year ago when I decided to go aerodynamic) Headblade razor, cartridge and Slick cream
  • Brush: QED Savile Row Silvertip
  • Shaving Bowl: Moss scuttle
  • After Shave: Weleda balm
  • Fragrances: T&H Grafton, Tabac, Penhaligon Blenheim, B&M Reserve Cool
For travel, I keep it simple:
  • Razor and Blade: Harry's
  • Head: Second Headblade and small Slick
  • Soap: Tabac stick
  • Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 (great for face lathering due to stiffness)
  • Balm: Weleda Balm
  • Fragrance: Penhaligon in small spritzer
I thought it was time to see what's new in the world of shaving, so I decided to register and share my tale.

Hello all!

Welcome sir. Well, the Raging Bull 454 is the one I kept....:2guns:

There is another camp, one who seeks to be connected to the past and experience shaving as did their grand father's and great grand fathers. :a50:This camp will accumulate, but not as many but what they have will have connections to an era or type. I fit into that camp.

Welcome sir. Well, the Raging Bull 454 is the one I kept....:2guns:

There is another camp, one who seeks to be connected to the past and experience shaving as did their grand father's and great grand fathers. :a50:This camp will accumulate, but not as many but what they have will have connections to an era or type. I fit into that camp.

On the 454: you're a better man than I am Gunga Din :)

As to the nostalgia/authenticity angle, I think you are correct. Younger people are exploring everything from fountain pens in the digital age to head to tail butchering in an age of shrink wrapped meat, not to mention vinyl for music and what appears to be the 'topping out' of ebooks. (Of course, on the last item, I don't know if younger people are substituting paper books for ebooks or just reading less.) I think wet shaving has some of the same appeal to how our parents/grandparents lived as the other trends I mentioned.

Speaking of nostalgia, the one non 9mm handgun I own is a 1911 in 45.

So, how do I score?
  • I probably still have more than 1,000 paper books, but have read eBooks/digital newspapers almost exclusively for the past 5 years because they are so convenient to buy and consume. I still buy paper books only when I want to really 'active read' with lots of margin notes and underlining.
  • I still have almost 2000 vinyl records, but have not bought a new one in 15 years. Years ago i ripped all my records and a few hundred CD's and stream them from a home media server.
  • I have about a dozen fountain pens, but rarely hand write anything any more. I type everything, including my to do list. Earlier this year, I realized that my handwriting had deteriorated so much, I bought a new notebook, inked up my favorite Pelikan and started taking paper notes just so I could preserve my handwriting and remember the joy of a good pen on good paper. I sign many dozens of contracts every year, but less than 6 in the past three years have not been signed with digital signatures
  • I have a freezer full of venison, shop for other meat from a local organic butcher and love cooking and eating the 'nasty' bits of offal that my grandmother cooked and that you can no longer find in non-ethnic supermarkets in the US (kidney, sweetbreads, etc.)

On the 454: you're a better man than I am Gunga Din :)

As to the nostalgia/authenticity angle, I think you are correct. Younger people are exploring everything from fountain pens in the digital age to head to tail butchering in an age of shrink wrapped meat, not to mention vinyl for music and what appears to be the 'topping out' of ebooks. (Of course, on the last item, I don't know if younger people are substituting paper books for ebooks or just reading less.) I think wet shaving has some of the same appeal to how our parents/grandparents lived as the other trends I mentioned.

Speaking of nostalgia, the one non 9mm handgun I own is a 1911 in 45.

So, how do I score?
  • I probably still have more than 1,000 paper books, but have read eBooks/digital newspapers almost exclusively for the past 5 years because they are so convenient to buy and consume. I still buy paper books only when I want to really 'active read' with lots of margin notes and underlining.
  • I still have almost 2000 vinyl records, but have not bought a new one in 15 years. Years ago i ripped all my records and a few hundred CD's and stream them from a home media server.
  • I have about a dozen fountain pens, but rarely hand write anything any more. I type everything, including my to do list. Earlier this year, I realized that my handwriting had deteriorated so much, I bought a new notebook, inked up my favorite Pelikan and started taking paper notes just so I could preserve my handwriting and remember the joy of a good pen on good paper. I sign many dozens of contracts every year, but less than 6 in the past three years have not been signed with digital signatures
  • I have a freezer full of venison, shop for other meat from a local organic butcher and love cooking and eating the 'nasty' bits of offal that my grandmother cooked and that you can no longer find in non-ethnic supermarkets in the US (kidney, sweetbreads, etc.)

It's not just younger folks. I'm learning to hone a straight razor and make my own lather with a brush. Yes, I have retained some LP's and a record player. My Raging Bull can take a .45. It costs less. :)

Top Bottom