What's new

New Guy

I'm very new to DE safety razor saving, but wanted to say hello. I have gotten lots of helpful advice searching through your posts. This is a great site with lots of beneficial threads...so many thanks. I have been wet shaving now going on 3 weeks. I have been using an electric razor for the past 15 years or so due to cartridge razors chewing up my neck....plus they are way too expensive.

I stumbled onto wet shaving a few weeks back and decided to give it a try. I'm in my 40's and never really considered the DE razor a viable option. I didn't even know you could still buy these types of razors until I started researching. I was hesitant to try a blade again, but what the heck, right? So I bought an EJ DE89l, some shave soap, and a badger hair brush and gave it go. Well the first shave wasn't so bad, just a tad bit of razor burn, but after about 5 shaves, my skin began getting used to having a blade scrape over it again. I bought a sample blade pack and have gone through several blades so far with many more to try.

I found out fairly quickly that not all blades behave the same and my technique is a little rough, but getting better. I did buy some Nancyboy shaving cream as well as some TOBS Jermyn St and they work great for me. I am finding out rather quickly that it's important not to skimp on quality products. Since buying my DE89l, I came across some good reviews on the Parker 26c open comb razor and decided to try it. What a great razor. It seems to be much more gentle on my skin than the DE89l....go figure. I've shaved with it 4 times now and love it. I highly recommend giving the 26c a try if you're considering an OC....very gentle, but close shaving.

Anyway, thanks for listening and I look forward to spending more time here on B&B.

Welcome to the B&B. Glad you're here.

I'm not familiar with using the Parker Razors. I can tell you that the DE-89 is a razor that, for me, has the steepest blade angle of all of my DE razors. It is much closer to the face than all of my other razors, especial the vintage Gillette razors.

The next time you use that EJ try steeper angle and see if that eliminates the burn. I'll bet you'll see a huge difference.

Thanks for the tip eezee. I'll definitely give that a try. I'm still trying to get my technique down, so I bet my angles are a bit off. It's gotten much better now and I think most of the discomfort I was experiencing was just my skin getting used to a different shaving method. Using electric shavers has always been easy on my skin. I think after a couple of months of practice, I'll have it down pat.

Welcome to the B&B. Glad you're here.

I'm not familiar with using the Parker Razors. I can tell you that the DE-89 is a razor that, for me, has the steepest blade angle of all of my DE razors. It is much closer to the face than all of my other razors, especial the vintage Gillette razors.

The next time you use that EJ try steeper angle and see if that eliminates the burn. I'll bet you'll see a huge difference.

That could very well be. That and an improper blade angle would set the face on fire.

Glad your technique is improving. It will get better and better with practice and before you know it you'll be getting irritation free shaves.

Hey there!!
$th3Y4N7M7Q.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I look forward to hanging out with all of you here. As I said before, this has been a very helpful forum for me as I've gotten started wet shaving. Each shave gets a little better. This morning was one of the best yet.....gets me excited when it all works out well.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I look forward to hanging out with all of you here. As I said before, this has been a very helpful forum for me as I've gotten started wet shaving. Each shave gets a little better. This morning was one of the best yet.....gets me excited when it all works out well.

We love when things work out well, we will be here for you so you can hang out.

Top Bottom