What's new

New guy with 2 old Gillette's found in house.

Hello, I'm new to the forum but not new to shaving with a DE razor. I started using DE's about 15 or so years ago, a few Merkur's, but for the last 3 years I have grown a full beard. We recently bought an old(er) house from the original owner. Her late husband was a pilot in the Air Force (Army Air Corp first) and our house near the former Air Force base where he retired. When cleaning out the house to move in I found these two old Gillette's in the bathroom in the back corner of the top shelf of the bathroom closet. I hope to clean them up and use them as I'm starting to shave again.
20211116_183817.jpg

20211116_183718.jpg

20211116_183519.jpg

20211116_183352.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, I'm new to the forum but not new to shaving with a DE razor. I started using DE's about 15 or so years ago, a few Merkur's, but for the last 3 years I have grown a full beard. We recently bought an old(er) house from the original owner. Her late husband was a pilot in the Air Force (Army Air Corp first) and our host is near the former Air Force base where he retired. When cleaning out the house to move in I found these two old Gillette's in the bathroom in the back corner of the top shelf of the bathroom closet. I hope to clean them up and use them as I'm starting to shave again.
View attachment 1363925

View attachment 1363928

View attachment 1363929

View attachment 1363930
Welcome to B&B @FrBrown
Lucky find. Enjoy your shaves

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to B&B.

A clear photo of the underside of the base plates showing their markings (if any) would help in identification.

Hello, I'm new to the forum but not new to shaving with a DE razor. I started using DE's about 15 or so years ago, a few Merkur's, but for the last 3 years I have grown a full beard. We recently bought an old(er) house from the original owner. Her late husband was a pilot in the Air Force (Army Air Corp first) and our house near the former Air Force base where he retired. When cleaning out the house to move in I found these two old Gillette's in the bathroom in the back corner of the top shelf of the bathroom closet. I hope to clean them up and use them as I'm starting to shave again.
View attachment 1363925

View attachment 1363928

View attachment 1363929

View attachment 1363930

Score!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
View attachment 1363925

View attachment 1363928

View attachment 1363929

View attachment 1363930
Awesome find! Here is the Gillette Date Code page if you’d like to know the year (or date range) they were manufactured.

Congrats on finding some nice old razors. The first pic is an Old Type in an ABC case, the second gold razor ( as you correctly stated as being newer) is a Post-War Tech. The last razor is a Knack. Soak them in warm water with Dawn dishwashing soap. Change the water after an hour or so & soak them again in warm water & Dawn. Do not use boiling water, it will damage the varnish. After a couple of soaks use a toothbrush & dip it in the water solution & scrub the razor with the toothbrush. Get into the nooks & crannies of the razor & it will clean up pretty good. Soak it again in warm water & Dawn & repeat the process until you're happy with how pretty they look. The gold finish on the razors is very thin, I suggest not using any kind of polisher as the abrasiveness of the polish could very likely remove the gold wash finish. After you clean them, put a blade in them & enjoy them. The Tech is a fabulous razor that gives a wonderfully smooth, mild shave. The Old Type is a great razor but be ready for it to bite you. The Knack is a plastic-handled razor that gives a mild shave. Enjoy your shaves & welcome to your new home!

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia. Nice finds you have there. The Gold Tech is one of my favourite razors, especially when paired with a sharper blade such as a Feather. Congratulations.

Congrats on finding some nice old razors. The first pic is an Old Type in an ABC case, the second gold razor ( as you correctly stated as being newer) is a Post-War Tech. The last razor is a Knack. Soak them in warm water with Dawn dishwashing soap. Change the water after an hour or so & soak them again in warm water & Dawn. Do not use boiling water, it will damage the varnish. After a couple of soaks use a toothbrush & dip it in the water solution & scrub the razor with the toothbrush. Get into the nooks & crannies of the razor & it will clean up pretty good. Soak it again in warm water & Dawn & repeat the process until you're happy with how pretty they look. The gold finish on the razors is very thin, I suggest not using any kind of polisher as the abrasiveness of the polish could very likely remove the gold wash finish. After you clean them, put a blade in them & enjoy them. The Tech is a fabulous razor that gives a wonderfully smooth, mild shave. The Old Type is a great razor but be ready for it to bite you. The Knack is a plastic-handled razor that gives a mild shave. Enjoy your shaves & welcome to your new home!

Great advice! And some fine razors!! :a29:

Thanks! I'll start soaking the Tech tonight. It's got a little rough part on one corner where I'm guessing it was dropped. Do I need to do anything top that or just not use that side? I'm fairly handy with files and could very carefully smooth it out. I know that would etch the finish around that spot, but it's goobered up already. I'm fine with leaving it as is.

20211116_183404.jpg

20211116_183355.jpg

Thanks! I'll start soaking the Tech tonight. It's got a little rough part on one corner where I'm guessing it was dropped. Do I need to do anything top that or just not use that side? I'm fairly handy with files and could very carefully smooth it out. I know that would etch the finish around that spot, but it's goobered up already. I'm fine with leaving it as is.

View attachment 1364532

View attachment 1364533
I would be concerned if you repair it that one, or more, of the edges won't be in line with how it originally was, & that could affect the shave. It could affect it to the point where you might get nicked on that edge either through more blade exposure or from a rough edge. Go ahead & try your hand at filing it since it is already damaged. Just be prepared for it to not shave properly. But who knows, it just may shave wonderfully! If all else fails, just shave with the other side only.

Top Bottom