What's new

New guy wants to treat himself....suggestions?

I got the SB Vector, but ended up sending it back. It just didn't give me the carefree easy shave my post-war Tech did, so I am just going to stick with what works, maybe keep an eye out in case anyone builds a better Tech.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I got the SB Vector, but ended up sending it back. It just didn't give me the carefree easy shave my post-war Tech did, so I am just going to stick with what works, maybe keep an eye out in case anyone builds a better Tech.
The English Flat Bottom Tech.
20221125_190059[1].jpg
~doug~

...maybe keep an eye out in case anyone builds a better Tech.

Someone did: the Feather ASD2.

Well, maybe not better, but a modern razor, made of stainless steel, that shaves very much on par with a Tech.

I have eight Techs, and love my ASD2, though it may be a lateral move from a Tech, rather than a true upgrade in terms of the actual shave/performance.

I prefer mild razors and use both, but admit that my most used is razor the Feather. My rotation probably looks something like this: Feather, Tech, Feather, Gillette New OC, Feather, Tech, Feather, Superspeed, Game Changer 68P...and so on. It is mainly the Feather with a sprinkling of a few other razors, mostly vintage Gillette.

The ASD2 is a great mild shaver, in my experience, but is it really an upgrade from a Tech? It is a very well made and mild razor, more like a more modern counterpart to a Tech.

So, really, it is a matter of what you are looking for in an upgrade. If you just want a modern razor that shaves very much like a Tech, the Feather might work for you. If you want something a bit more agressive, yet still mild, the Feather might just be more of the same, and not worth the expense.

I won't go into the boring details, but I like the Feather well enough to have purchased it twice.

Get a Yates or a Henson. Yates if you want a well made stainless steel great mild to medium shaver. Henson if you want a no chance for nicks lightweight very highly engineered mild shaver.

Glad you sent back the Vector. Stay with the Tech and perfect your technique.

If you want the best razor in the world, get a Schick E2. Pair it with a Chinese Schick (“Chick”) for the best shave possible. Schick E types are readily available and cheap, probably under $20.
I saw an E type I believe for $5 plus shipping $10 total on the Bay.

If you like the Tech and a smooth easy shave I would recommend the Parker 78R. A modern razor shaves very much like a Tech but more efficient very little blade feel a great razor. Also will not break the bank.

I have the Masamune Open Comb and I have a post war Tech. The Masamune is very similar feeling to the tech as far as the angle you use and its mild, easy-to-shave-with nature. It's a little more effective than the tech even though it is just as mild (maybe even more so) and has less blade exposure. If you want to go SB rather than OC you might prefer the Masamune base plate with the Nodachi cap as the Masamune SB is even less blade exposure than the OC - the Nodachi cap paired with Masamune SB base is a nice combo (some people prefer to go Masamune Cap with the Nodachi plate).

Top Bottom