What's new

New guy wants to treat himself....suggestions?

Hi all,

I initially posted this thread asking about a Blackbird Ti vs a Masamune because I thought I had it narrowed down, but I've been talked out of the Blackbird because it may be more aggressive than I want, and maybe this is the better forum for my question given my newbie status. I am currently getting decent daily shaves from my post-war Tech with a Feather blade. I've also tried a plain 'ol 1969 Superspeed and it's OK. Others I've tried: 1955 Red Tip: nicked myself up a bit using this one. 1964 mirror nickel replated Slim Adjustable: no nicks, but I prefer the Tech. All my stuff so far is vintage, and just to change things up a bit I'd like to try a good modern daily shaver with all the sales coming up. Would like to stay under $300.

Currently considering:

Tatara Masamune: Looks great, and I've heard a range of reviews from mild with a good shave to hard to get a close enough shave. They have a 15 day return policy, but I've read that Portugal customs makes returns an adventure.

Blackland Vector Ti: Intrigued by blades that I don't have to change for 7-10 days, looks great, thinking the slim head *might* make it easier to get the area just under the nose that's kind of challenging for me now. Hearing everything from great reviews to it might be too harsh for me, but Blackland does have a generous return policy and no customs to deal with.

Timeless .68 Ti or Slim Ti: Don't think I've read anything bad about these.

The Wolfman WR2 was described as a possible "Super Tech", but I don't want to wait months for one and even a used one may be a bit out of my price range.

I'm leaning towards the Vector, but I'm open to suggestions. Just looking for something nice that I can use everyday, or at least those days I'm not using the Tech.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hi all,

I initially posted this thread asking about a Blackbird Ti vs a Masamune because I thought I had it narrowed down, but I've been talked out of the Blackbird because it may be more aggressive than I want, and maybe this is the better forum for my question given my newbie status. I am currently getting decent daily shaves from my post-war Tech with a Feather blade. I've also tried a plain 'ol 1969 Superspeed and it's OK. Others I've tried: 1955 Red Tip: nicked myself up a bit using this one. 1964 mirror nickel replated Slim Adjustable: no nicks, but I prefer the Tech. All my stuff so far is vintage, and just to change things up a bit I'd like to try a good modern daily shaver with all the sales coming up. Would like to stay under $300.

Currently considering:

Tatara Masamune: Looks great, and I've heard a range of reviews from mild with a good shave to hard to get a close enough shave. They have a 15 day return policy, but I've read that Portugal customs makes returns an adventure.

Blackland Vector Ti: Intrigued by blades that I don't have to change for 7-10 days, looks great, thinking the slim head *might* make it easier to get the area just under the nose that's kind of challenging for me now. Hearing everything from great reviews to it might be too harsh for me, but Blackland does have a generous return policy and no customs to deal with.

The Wolfman WR2 was described as a possible "Super Tech", but I don't want to wait months for one and even a used one may be a bit out of my price range.

I'm leaning towards the Vector, but I'm open to suggestions. Just looking for something nice that I can use everyday, or at least those days I'm not using the Tech.
A caveat to start: I only started traditional wet shaving in March of this year. Other people here have far more experience than I do. I will say this: if you are looking at the AC razors out there in addition to the Titanium or Stainless Steel Blackland Vector, I'd take a close look at the Above the Tie X1 AC Slant single edge razor. I started out with the Executive Shaving Company Claymore Evolution AC single edge razor and used that razor for my first 5 and a half months. I still love it but recently got the ATT X1 and had to admit, I prefer the X1. It gives me a closer and very relaxed, effortless shave. You can use the search feature here and take a look at what other people think about it.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hi all,

Currently considering:

Considering that your post-war tech is your go-to razor, and the Red Tip was a little over the top for you, I say go with the Timeless .68 SB, a Game Changer 68-P, or a Fatip if you want to try an open comb.

You will find the Slim Ti more harsh and prone to bite than you prefer.

The Vector is a great razor, but much more efficient than your tech. I would recommend you start out with a guarded blade such as a Kai Protouch MG if you get one.

If you can find a Wolfman WR2 0.95 in your price range, GET IT! :cornut:

~doug~

The Vector is a great razor, but much more efficient than your tech. I would recommend you start out with a guarded blade such as a Kai Protouch MG if you get one.

If you can find a Wolfman WR2 0.95 in your price range, GET IT! :cornut:

~doug~

It looks like I may get the Vector with the guarded blades, but I really REALLY want a WR2 in .95 like you suggest. It’s just a matter of finding one, or putting my name on the list and waitin.

It looks like I may get the Vector with the guarded blades, but I really REALLY want a WR2 in .95 like you suggest. It’s just a matter of finding one, or putting my name on the list and waitin.

A member has a WR2 .85/.95 for sale in the BST right now at a fair price of $350. If I had the money I'd buy it LOL

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Given your experience, and the razors you listed, you would do really well with the Timeless 68 SB. If you want to go for something with a bit more of a luxury, pamper yourself with an H&S N075. Super smooth. Decently efficient. Really beautiful shaving qualities. When I want a mild luxurious shave, that’s my choice. The N stands for Neutral exposure. The 075 is the gap size. Super mild and capable razor. Often underrated and overlooked. Not cheap. But nowhere near Wolfman territory. Mine is a bit of a Frankenrazor as I have the mixed metal head with the polished handle.

C4E3149C-6213-42E9-9F49-50083CACA72E.jpeg

I went ahead and picked up a Vector Ti. For this purchase I figure I would try something different since the Tech will probably do what I need a DE to for now. The 30 day trial period was pretty much the clincher. I just hope it’s not as efficient /aggressive as some say. One of the things I like about the Tech is that it’s easy to get a decent enough shave without worrying about cuts.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I went ahead and picked up a Vector Ti. For this purchase I figure I would try something different since the Tech will probably do what I need a DE to for now. The 30 day trial period was pretty much the clincher. I just hope it’s not as efficient /aggressive as some say. One of the things I like about the Tech is that it’s easy to get a decent enough shave without worrying about cuts.
I hope you got the first time purchase discount along with their current sale price. It's a heck of a deal at the moment.

Congrats on the new Vector! It’s really not a razor to be nervous about. Throw a mild guarded blade in there and go to town. Be sure to check out the Vector guide video that you’ll receive in an email within a day or two. Or just go to our YouTube. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Vector Ti!

If you want the best razor in the world, get a Schick E2. Pair it with a Chinese Schick (“Chick”) for the best shave possible. Schick E types are readily available and cheap, probably under $20.

I don't think you said which Vector you ended up buying, open comb or safety bar.

If you got the safety bar, you should be fine. I've been using my Vector for just over one month with Feather ProGuard blades (head shaves) and feel like I would have to try and cut myself. For me, it is efficient without being aggressive.

I think the Vector Ti will take great care of you -- as gpjoe asked, though, did you end up grabbing the SB or OC?

Top Bottom