What's new

New Guy Soap Question

This may be addressed somewhere but I could not find it.

Is there an idea as to what element of soap composition is key to lather production quality and "longevity"?

Nothing more frustrating than trying out a soap and getting a nice (and quick) lather only to have it completely disappear before you can get to the second side of your face.

I've tried many soaps (hundreds) and I've only experienced the disappearing lather a couple times with some well below average ones that were absolutely miserable to lather.

Soaps higher in steric acid like Martin de Candre for example will tend to lather more easily but that's not a sure thing as everything else in the formula plays a role as well. There are other factors to consider such as post shave and slickness in addition to just finding something that lathers easily.

I'd recommend you use more soap as well as more water and lather for a longer period of time to really load the brush before applying the lather. The lather should be maybe an eighth to a quarter inch thick when applied to your face and you shouldn't be seeing any skin showing through it.

If you'd like a recommendation for a soap just pm me some details about what you're interested in and maybe some scent preferences and I'd be happy to recommend something exceptional for you.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I found this happening to me but I was using a very old shave soap stick that I grated into a container and made a puck out of it. My face was still very slick but I could see that lather disappearing as I went to take a stroke with the razor. I found it very off putting.

Is there an idea as to what element of soap composition is key to lather production quality and "longevity"?

Nothing more frustrating than trying out a soap and getting a nice (and quick) lather only to have it completely disappear before you can get to the second side of your face.
Are you using a pre-shave oil? I've found that using these can sometimes affect the lather.

Slickness is all that counts in shaving soap as far as I'm concerned, and I have gotten excellent shaves with the lather dripping off the razor as I go along. However, unless there is something interrupting lather formation, you should be able to get stable lather even with "difficult" soaps like modern Williams.

Load a little longer and work the lather a bit more and see if that helps. Pre-soaking the soap with a little hot water while showering before making your lather can help too -- Williams benefits from being used daily, which causes the puck to absorb water and soften, therefore loading onto the brush faster.

The ingredient that makes soap lather well enough to be shaving soap is stearic acid (and palmitic, although that isn't usually listed). It will appear as potassium or sodium stearate most of the time in the label. Should be the first ingredient unless it's listed as the source oil instead (hydrogenated soy oil, for instance, is 84% stearic acid before it's made into soap). Tallow in it's various forms also contains a lot of stearic acid, that's why many people prefer tallow based soap.

Lather quality is an essential consideration for me when using a straight razor. I have an old Sheffield Wade and Butcher with the script "You lather well I'll shave well" etched on the blade.

I find it convenient to have a bowl holding the puck and a bowl hot water. I find I enjoy dipping the brushing into the hot water between passes.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

This sounds like you missed the water/soap ratio. My bet is that a longer load will solve this problem.

I'm guessing because I have only tried soaps after reading good reviews here - and none of those have presented this problem.

If you read "5 favorite soaps" or similar posts you will see some of the same soaps on many lists. Those are the safe bets.

This may not apply, but I read of someone who was having lather problems and his friend came over to show him how to lather. The friend also had trouble.

It turned out that the person had been using his brush to rinse Alum off of his face, so the brush was contaminated with alum.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
This may not apply, but I read of someone who was having lather problems and his friend came over to show him how to lather. The friend also had trouble.

It turned out that the person had been using his brush to rinse Alum off of his face, so the brush was contaminated with alum.
But now you don't do that anymore, right? :a2:

Having potassium "stuff" listed higher than sodium "stuff" generally produces a more stable lather if you are buying local or artisan soaps that aren't heard of frequently here.

If you are having difficulties lather soaps heard frequently here, see suggestions here about lathering, or try My lathering technique with Italian soft soaps which works well with other soaps as well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Joshua Tree Soap - with its *wonderful* Olive Oil - has to be "King of Disappearing Lather."

Lather fade is a thing wherever olive oil is present, IMO. There's like one soap that has it, and works for shaving.

AA

Top Bottom