What's new

New guy needs to understand how to deal with puck

Shavepals:

I have been DE shaving for about 6 weeks. Going well. I'm using a couple of creams right now, and they work well. Thinking of trying some Stirling soaps. Look nice for the price. Now, how do I deal with the puck? Do I put it in some kind of cup to store it? I could really use a quick tutorial on what to do. Store in cup? pre wet it before loading brush? How to dry it after? Never done this...

Put it in a mug or other deep container. Put some hot water on the puck and let it sit like that for a few minutes. Then start loading with a damp brush. It will be a little messy (that's why I recommend a fairly deep container) but it's not hard. And load lots on the brush. (I initially put Stirling in a shallow tin and found it difficult to work with but in a deeper container, it's quite easy.)

I have big soup mug with a wider opening than a typical coffee mug. I mash the stirling puck down in there (very easy since it's soft). Fill it up with hot water drop the brush in while I shower, then dump the water and shake the excess from the brush leaving it a little wet. 30 seconds of swirling around and I've got a great lather.

With hard soap pucks it's a challenge to find the perfect size receptacle. But as mentioned, soft soaps can be molded into anything you like. Plus several members have microwaved bowl/puck (a few seconds at a time) and that lets you "mold" it. Also, there are a lot of soap bowls on the market that come with a lid but I haven't taken that plunge yet. To keep the dust off I just place a paper coaster over the bowl.

But as mentioned, soft soaps can be molded into anything you like. Plus several members have microwaved bowl/puck (a few seconds at a time) and that lets you "mold" it.

That's what I did with my VDH soap. I didn't know you were only supposed to do it a couple seconds at a time though! I did it for maybe 25 then maybe another 10 seconds.

Anchor Hocking or Pyrex 1-cup glass bowls with lids. They cost ~$7 for 4 of them at Big Lots or Wal-Mart. Stirling Soaps are very soft and can be easily molded/pressed into any container. Whatever you do, don't microwave tallow soaps (like Stirling). Tallow-based soaps do not melt, it burns. While possible, I also do not recommend microwaving non-tallow soaps either. They will melt but the heat will cause some of the essential oils to evaporate. This will affect the scent to some extent.

http://anchorhocking.com/prodd_4984_cat_209_8_piece_set_kit_store.html

+1 There is a guide to "melting soaps" on the Shavewiki:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Melting_soaps

Mainly this is about melting soaps (in the microwave) so as to put a shave stick into a container, but it applies to any soap. I've never bothered melting soaps - I just have various sized and types of containers for each of my soaps.

The tins that Rod sells work well. The small ones are good for samples, the big ones for full pucks.

Here's the system: Open tin, swirl damp (not wet) brush on puck, rub loaded brush on face (adding water as needed), shave, put lid back on tin, repeat tomorrow.

The tins that Rod sells work well. The small ones are good for samples, the big ones for full pucks.

Here's the system: Open tin, swirl damp (not wet) brush on puck, rub loaded brush on face (adding water as needed), shave, put lid back on tin, repeat tomorrow.

This is good advice. I use the medium tins for full pucks - the large ones are just too big for me. It's like trying to palm a dinner plate while lathering. Stirling pucks are pretty soft so you can press the puck into the container, making sure to get it tight all the way against the edges of the tin. That way no water can get down underneath the puck.

As far as lathering; the one thing I would add is that with Stirling it works best if you load it like you hate it. Now, you don't have to try to dig into the puck with your brush, but swirl your brush on top of if for a good while - I normally do a solid minute. I think Stirling provides the slickest lather maybe I've ever used, but you'll likely have to play around with it for a while before you can consistently get that great lather. It is totally worth it though, really is a great performing soap.

If you anticipate buying a few soaps, get a few Anchor Hoch glass 1C containers with lids. They're cheap and available at dollar stores. Keep the pucks or samples in the containers and use the containers to load your brush. When loaded, transfer to your bowl or your face and make lather. When the shave is done, put the lid on the container for storage and think about what soap you're going to use tomorrow. :biggrin:

Get the large tins from Rod, most of his soaps are pliable just mash it in, if that don't work grate it. Agree the small is good for samples and I've got the medium, but for my next order I'm leaning to the large tins.

I have several pucks that have a designated bowl or mug with a lid. But for the ones that do not, I dry the bowl completely and put the whole bowl into a Ziploc bag. I'm getting to the point where I will start the 1 in 1 out rule.

I read somewhere that another wet-shaver had good luck with ordering jars wholesale from The Sage, so I jumped in with both feet and ordered 10 jars and lids and I've been very pleased. Now I'm having fun filling all ten!

https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/8-oz-Clear-PET-Low-Profile-JarSize-89.html

$Jar.jpg
From their catalog:

"PET is the best plastic to use when making oily or highly scented products. These containers are crystal clear. Heavy walled jars don't bend and are great for thin creams all the way to butters. A very upscale container that feels heavier like glass."

Top Bottom