What's new

New Guy needs help - Gillette 1930's New Razor

Howdy - I am new to the site but have been wet shaving for about 4 years. I just picked up a Gillette 1930's new razor (what a great shave!) and need a replacement barrel as the existing one is cracked. If anyone could nudge me in the right direction regarding a replacement, that would be great!

Thank you!

Welcome to B&B.
Would you upload a picture of the cracked barrel. There are a number of ways to repair that issue if it is a ball end handle.

Thanks!!

Here is a pic of the crack.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Goodwill with a similar crack and am planning to use the above mentioned threads to epoxy it. As I've viewed the other threads they have repaired MUCH worse cracks than either of ours.

IF however you don't want to mess with that you can probably find an inexpensive gold plated ball end Tech handle that would fit it just fine.

That is for the reply’s everyone. Much appreciated. Loving this 90 y/o razor and want it in working order.

Any epoxy would work great to keep the ball end attached & to seal up that crack to keep moisture out. I had a handle cracked end-to-end on an Old Type. Soldering the crack looked great, untill I pressed the ends back in & it split again. Mine was nickeled, so I used a length of brass tubing & nickeled it to match, then epoxied it together. I msde it a few mm longer than the original & it's my favorite handle.

welcome aboard. you can repair this (I've got several cracked handles like that) or you can buy a replacement, there's a few ebay folks who sell replacement handles and parts, or you can buy a new brass or stainless handle to replace.

welcome aboard. you can repair this (I've got several cracked handles like that) or you can buy a replacement, there's a few ebay folks who sell replacement handles and parts, or you can buy a new brass or stainless handle to replace.

Do you happen to have a link to a seller that you would recommend? I have not been able to find anything for replacement parts or new (aftermarket) replacements. I would prefer new brass.

Techichi_shave on eBay has lots of used parts. I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way, but have bought replacement parts from him.

Just bought a brass handle (new) for $20 that should get me back in shape pretty quick. I’m shocked and pleasantly surprised that someone makes parts for this razor. I had no idea what I was getting into when I paid $8 for it! Lol.

ust bought a brass handle (new) for $20 that should get me back in shape pretty quick.
The threads generally fit but bear in mind the old threads are imperial #10 - 32, if I remember correctly, whereas the metric threads on the handle are M5 x 0.8 mm. Also it is a stainless steel handle screwing to a brass screw so don't tighten them up too tight. The brass cap thread will already be a little worn I expect.

The threads generally fit but bear in mind the old threads are imperial #10 - 32, if I remember correctly, whereas the metric threads on the handle are M5 x 0.8 mm. Also it is a stainless steel handle screwing to a brass screw so don't tighten them up too tight. The brass cap thread will already be a little worn I expect.

That would be a bummer if it didn't fit the old head. The item I bought appeared to be made for my razor but I read the ad again and it seems like it is for newer razors? I'll just wait and see.

Top Bottom