What's new

New guy needing some product advice

Hi everyone:

This is an AMAZING forum and I need to spend time digging through past threads and soaking up some of this shave knowledge. But I am hoping I can get some direction on an immediate concern.

I have been using Art of Shaving products for maybe 15 years...possibly longer. The stuff is too expensive for what it is, in my opinion, but I have liked the product because they had an extensive line in unscented goods.

Slowly AoS has been phasing these out it seems. First, the unscented body bar disappeared. Now I see the shave soap is gone. While the shaving cream remains, I am not big on creams (although creams are more convenient when I am on the road). I worry that the pre-shave oil and the after-shave balm will meet a similar fate in the future.

I can't do perfumes and scents. First, I am allergic to most scents and perfumes. Second, I bath and groom so as NOT to smell. But I need recommendations for high-quality alternatives for unscented projects that will make me as happy (or, perhaps, happier) as AoS has.

My preference would be something I could get in a brick and mortar store in Richmond, VA (just because I am a poor planner and will forget to order until I run out). That said, I am open to products that are exclusively available online (or must be bought online because they are not locally available) if those products are superior to what is locally available.

Your thoughts?

It's hard to find any variety in actual storefronts, but if you travel to NYC there is Pasteur s pharmacy. I love the fragrances, but I know most of the artisan soap makers have unscented. You might try maggards or Italian barber websites for some samples

Egads! If only you could search those sites by fragrance... Any brands you would recommend exploring?

Welcome aboard!

There are few ‘great’ brick and mortar stores for shaving stuff. Sorry!!

In terms of actual recommendations, I look at what B+B members actually use on the forums. Plus you can also look at the posted reviews. A third option is to look at the B+B vendors websites. After awhile you will figure out the products that work for you! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Egads! If only you could search those sites by fragrance... Any brands you would recommend exploring?
Merciful heavens!

Local:
It's not really luxury but there is a Van de Hagen Unscented Luxury soap that can be found at some Bed, Bath & Beyond stores.

Internet:
Soap Commander - Integrity
Wet Shaving Products - Rustic - Au Natural
Meissner Tremonia - Puristic Style
Wickham 1912 - Unscented
Saponificio Bignoli - Neutro

Stirling - Sheep (tallow-based)

If you have a L'Occitane store in Richmond Cade is a very nice soap. They have a shave oil which I occasionally use as a preshave and balms.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to B&B from the UK. Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap would be well worth a try. It smells only of soap and is a true classic shaving product. Some find it hard to lather (possibly because of the water quality where they live) but a great many have no problem lathering it and love the results. It's actually not at all expensive if you buy the refills and put them in a handy container, rather than the the puck in a ceramic container.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Welcome new friend!

I'm of no use to you, as I like scents, and sometimes "slap you in the face" scents. Sorry.

If you go to Maggards and click on "Soaps and Creams", a drop-down menu appears which has "unscented" as an option. There are 22 soaps on that page ranging in price from $12.00-$70.00. Sadly, but perhaps not entirely surprisingly, it doesn't seem like most of the unscented soaps are available in the sample size.

Edit to add: Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your time here and with shaving.

Last edited:
Williams Mug Soap is almost unscented. It's inexpensive, so there isn't much risk in giving it a try.

Note: I'm strongly biased in favor of this soap. It's the only one I use. YMMV

Williams Mug Soap is almost unscented. It's inexpensive, so there isn't much risk in giving it a try.

Note: I'm strongly biased in favor of this soap. It's the only one I use. YMMV
Williams has a strong lemony citronella scent to me, noses can be weird.

I would suggest Mitchell's Wool Fat, very light soap scent, also Mike's Natural Soaps Unscented. Mike's has some samples of the Unscented available now.

Like @GaryTha I'm the king of cheap. Here's what I enjoy. Many of these may have to be ordered online for you, but the Turkish stuff is "local" to me.
Low on cash;
  • Williams Mug Soap
  • Van der Hagen Deluxe/Luxury/Glycerin
  • @Colonel Conk Soap/Cream
  • Arko Stick/Puck/Creams
  • Derby Stick/Puck (Creams, not so much)
  • More for You Stick/Puck
  • Proraso Green/Red/Single Blade Line Creams

Stay away from;
  • Marvy Shave Soap (However, Marvy makes a great mug and barber poles)
  • Scalpmaster

For mid line money
  • Stirling Soap
  • Captain's Choice
  • Shannon's Soaps
  • M.A. Space Soaps (Etsy Only)
  • Razorock
  • The Body Shop Macca Root
  • Cella
  • WSP Formula T Line

For Big Money
  • Tabac Original (Pretty sure if we were in Germany it would be Low on Cash)
  • Mitchell's Wool Fat (Again, if we were in England it would be more than likely Low on Cash)
  • Strike Gold Shave
Now these are what I own and have tried. There are others on this forum who have way more experience with way more soaps than I do.

Welcome!

Are you allergic to artificial scents, or actual oils? There's a few soaps with a natural scent floating around, and more than a few for sensitive skin.

I'm the opposite on the road, I'd rather have a soap with me lol.

Top Bottom