What's new

New Guy Needing Advice

Greetings,
I’m a recent convert into the world of wet shaving. So far I love it. I’ve been at it about two months now. First two weeks were a little rough but I’m getting there. I’ve been really focusing on technique and it’s coming along.

my first set was a Merkur 34c. Now that I am a little more confident I ordered a Gillette Heritage for my to-go setup. I spend about 200 nights a year in hotels due to work so wanted another complete set just for my travels.

anyways I never get a great shave with my Merkur without doing many passes resulting in irritation. First day with the Gillette was the best shave of my life with two passes. Second day same thing. Third day tried the Merkur again and ehh really had to work hard for a barely acceptable and not enjoyable shave. My beard is super tough even after a hot shower and proraso pre-shave.

I’ve seen it all over the forums that if you don’t get a good shave with the 34c, it’s you not the razor but with the Gillette I get instant DFS. Only thing I haven’t tried yet is the Gillette blades in the Merkur. I have been dabbling through a sample pack with the Merkur trying to figure out what blades I like and don’t like.

What am I doing wrong or is there such a thing as too mild for a beginner considering I get a great shave with another brand? Thanks in advance.

I think you somewhat answered your own question. There is a ton of variance among blades (and razors). Some will work great in razor "A"; others will not. But...they may shine in another razor where other blades may not. The trick is eventually finding that winning combination.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I thought the Heritage is supposed to be milder than Merkur 34c, closer to Edwin Jagger DE89. It's a little weird that you can't get a single good shave with this extremely nice and popular razor. What blades and creams/soaps are you using and what is your shaving "technique"?
There are countless options for a new razor. I can't even start counting them all. What exactly in a shave you get from Merkur 34c is bothering you, and what aspects of shaving with the Heritage do you like?

What blade/s are you using with the Merkur?
The 34HD has a quite narrow window where it cuts efficiently. So if your angle of attack is off you have a hard time removing enough stubble —> the more passes the higher potential for irritations.

I think the Gillette Heritage is an excellent choice for your travels, especially after mentioning you get good shaves with it. It has a DE/R 89 head, a very lightweight handle, and it's very own travel case. I don't believe you are doing anything wrong. Perhaps the current combination just doesn't agree with your Merkur. Probably you would prefer smoother blades paired with it since it gives you irritation from passing over an area too much. A smoother blade may be less sharp but allows for more passes without irritation. Hope you find a good partner for it!

I think the Gillette Heritage is an excellent choice for your travels, especially after mentioning you get good shaves with it. It has a DE/R 89 head, a very lightweight handle, and it's very own travel case. I don't believe you are doing anything wrong. Perhaps the current combination just doesn't agree with your Merkur. Probably you would prefer smoother blades paired with it since it gives you irritation from passing over an area too much. A smoother blade may be less sharp but allows for more passes without irritation. Hope you find a good partner for it!
I'll take the contrarian view just to further muddle the waters :c1:
A sharper blade in a mild razor will be more efficient thus requiring fewer passes for a better result/less irritations.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Greetings,
I’m a recent convert into the world of wet shaving. So far I love it. I’ve been at it about two months now. First two weeks were a little rough but I’m getting there. I’ve been really focusing on technique and it’s coming along.

my first set was a Merkur 34c. Now that I am a little more confident I ordered a Gillette Heritage for my to-go setup. I spend about 200 nights a year in hotels due to work so wanted another complete set just for my travels.

anyways I never get a great shave with my Merkur without doing many passes resulting in irritation. First day with the Gillette was the best shave of my life with two passes. Second day same thing. Third day tried the Merkur again and ehh really had to work hard for a barely acceptable and not enjoyable shave. My beard is super tough even after a hot shower and proraso pre-shave.

I’ve seen it all over the forums that if you don’t get a good shave with the 34c, it’s you not the razor but with the Gillette I get instant DFS. Only thing I haven’t tried yet is the Gillette blades in the Merkur. I have been dabbling through a sample pack with the Merkur trying to figure out what blades I like and don’t like.

What am I doing wrong or is there such a thing as too mild for a beginner considering I get a great shave with another brand? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to B&B!
You are not doing anything wrong, we like to use the phrase YMMV(Your Mileage May Vary), because our faces and hair are all different. That is why there are so many blades and razors to choose from.
If the Gillette Heritage and the Gillette Platinum blades that came with it clicks for you, then stick with that combination. I have a Gillette Heritage myself, and I found it to be a great razor, along with about 34 other razors. LOL

I'll take the contrarian view just to further muddle the waters :c1:
A sharper blade in a mild razor will be more efficient thus requiring fewer passes for a better result/less irritations.
I concur with your contrarian view as I prefer that combination myself for the exact reason!

Just a suggestion if lesser passes still give irritation there is always the other extreme. 😄👍

thanks everyone. I just don’t want to be that guy trying to fix bad technique with equipment. I’m gonna try a Gillette blade in the Merkur and see how that goes I guess. What do I do with the Merkur if I just can’t get happy with it? Stick it in a drawer forever? Can you sell used items??? I really don’t know lol. Thanks again

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
thanks everyone. I just don’t want to be that guy trying to fix bad technique with equipment. I’m gonna try a Gillette blade in the Merkur and see how that goes I guess. What do I do with the Merkur if I just can’t get happy with it? Stick it in a drawer forever? Can you sell used items??? I really don’t know lol. Thanks again
You can check out the BST(Buy Sell Trade) forum if you want to sell your Merkur. I would advise you to keep it in a drawer, as your technique improves, you might like it.

I thought the Heritage is supposed to be milder than Merkur 34c, closer to Edwin Jagger DE89. It's a little weird that you can't get a single good shave with this extremely nice and popular razor. What blades and creams/soaps are you using and what is your shaving "technique"?
There are countless options for a new razor. I can't even start counting them all. What exactly in a shave you get from Merkur 34c is bothering you, and what aspects of shaving with the Heritage do you like?
I’m using proraso white for pre shave, soap, and after with witch hazel if needed. I have the ritual down and make a good lather. (I’ve watched about 1.5 million videos and read another 1.5 million posts on here). With the Merkur I just feel like I leave so much whisker after each pass. I’ve even tried going over the same spot repeatedly at different angles trying to find the sweet spot and it just won’t take it off unless I go directly against the grain with a “scraping” uncomfortable angle. I got an almost decent shave once with an Astra blade. In order to get an acceptable shave for work, I either need to really dig in or do at least 4 passes.

You should buy a sample pack of assorted blades. There is a blade for every razor & a razor for every blade. You would be surprised at how your shaves can be taken up a notch by a blade. Don’t listen to blade revues. Every face is different and any revue you read can only taken in the context of the reviewers own razor, skin, beard, and technique.

Stick with the Heritage and go back to the Merkur in 2-3 months. With a stable technique you can try out blades until you find the one the fits.

I was late to the Merkur 34C HD party, having over 25 razors when I finally picked one up. I was less than impressed, considering all the love it gets on the boards. Then I measured the blade gap and found it significantly narrower than what was listed on the blade gap charts, making it less efficient.

Found a second 34C HD marked down for discount and I picked it up. Blade gap as advertised and it shaves much better than my first one.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I think that it is probably a shaving angle issue with the Merkur 34c. If it doesn't suit you, don't dwell on it, try another razor. You're just at the beginning of your wet shaving career. I think you shouldn't go for the high-end expensive razors just yet, but probably try the common classics - perhaps vintage as well.

Welcome. Lots of good advice in this thread already and I concur with it.

I had the Heritage and sadly got rid of it. My wife bought me the King C Gillette around the same time and while I liked the handle and case of the Heritage a little better they shaved so similarly I sold it (to buy other razors). That razor and blade combo is great. I also liked my Gillette Silver Blues in it.

What blade were you using in the Merkur? I've not heard great things about the Merkur branded blades so that could be part of the issue.

I agree wholeheartedly with the "stick it in a drawer and try again later" after you've gotten more comfortable and confident with the Heritage.

Of course by then you might have RAD or BAD or one of the other addiction disorders that B&B is so good at spreading.

I started DE shaving to simply and save money in addition to the fun factor. It's still fun but I currently have 37 razors and three more in the mail on the way to me as well as a growing collection of razors, brushes, blades, and vintage NOS blades. LOL.

Welcome. Lots of good advice in this thread already and I concur with it.

I had the Heritage and sadly got rid of it. My wife bought me the King C Gillette around the same time and while I liked the handle and case of the Heritage a little better they shaved so similarly I sold it (to buy other razors). That razor and blade combo is great. I also liked my Gillette Silver Blues in it.

What blade were you using in the Merkur? I've not heard great things about the Merkur branded blades so that could be part of the issue.

I agree wholeheartedly with the "stick it in a drawer and try again later" after you've gotten more comfortable and confident with the Heritage.

Of course by then you might have RAD or BAD or one of the other addiction disorders that B&B is so good at spreading.

I started DE shaving to simply and save money in addition to the fun factor. It's still fun but I currently have 37 razors and three more in the mail on the way to me as well as a growing collection of razors, brushes, blades, and vintage NOS blades. LOL.
I purchased a sampler pack and have been trying everything. only decent shave I got was with an Astra, but still wasn't as good as the Heritage

Top Bottom