What's new

New Guy - Jumping In …

Well it has begun. I got my order of samples in yesterday and dove right in today. I was the most excited about the 10 (Knize Ten) and hence that's where I started. Here are the notes I wrote to myself right after applying.

Initial: I can’t handle this stuff! It smells … synthetic. All I want is to have this removed. I doubt as it dries down that it’ll even matter what it smells like, as I can’t get past the top notes.

SWMBO isn't as adverse, but I am not sure that matters! Not a good start ... but this really is one of those YMMV kind of things ...

Well it has begun. I got my order of samples in yesterday and dove right in today. I was the most excited about the 10 (Knize Ten) and hence that's where I started. Here are the notes I wrote to myself right after applying.

Initial: I can’t handle this stuff! It smells … synthetic. All I want is to have this removed. I doubt as it dries down that it’ll even matter what it smells like, as I can’t get past the top notes.

SWMBO isn't as adverse, but I am not sure that matters! Not a good start ... but this really is one of those YMMV kind of things ...

The opening of Knize Ten is pretty bad, in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the scent in general, but to be fair, it improves a lot after it dries down a bit.

Yeah I have to say that it does dry down ok. But that was still too long for me - 20 - 30 min. Oh well.

Yeah I have to say that it does dry down ok. But that was still too long for me - 20 - 30 min. Oh well.

If you're kind of new to dabbling with scents Earcutter, put the sample aside and revisit later. That's the kind of scent you may just not like, but there is a tendency initially to make snap judgements on the opening notes. Many scents has a harsh opening that can scare you off. Kouros is one of the most notorious. I speak from experience. I wasn't born a frag head...really got into it when I joined here and Basenotes a couple of years back. Made kind of the same judgement first time I tested Knize Ten.

Not trying to force you to like anything, just sharing a similar experience.

Many, many scents have openings that will scare the pants off a newbie to scents. But a lot of times, there are scents we just don't like no matter how lauded they are.

Not trying to force you to like anything, just sharing a similar experience.

Many, many scents have openings that will scare the pants off a newbie to scents. But a lot of times, there are scents we just don't like no matter how lauded they are.
Thank you for your input! I truly need the help lol - I will keep the sample. I have to say that it's shocking the reactions I have to scents. Its amazing really.

Thank you for your input! I truly need the help lol - I will keep the sample. I have to say that it's shocking the reactions I have to scents. Its amazing really.

You bet. Been there, done that. A lot of stuff that gets discussed here is outside of the realm of usual Aftershave kind of scents. Some very traditional and old school (like Knize Ten) and some very modern. Try a few things and you'll learn to trust your own nose and tastes. SWMBO will be a help. But I will say, you should both learn to get past the opening notes and not make full judgement on that. They aren't necessarily misleading per se, but the true nature of the scent isn't revealed for about a half hour or so. Many, many scents are front loaded with citrus which many men tend to love, but citrus notes are fleeting, and the heart and Basenotes of the scent take over.

Top Bottom