What's new

New Guy Intros

Hey everyone, I'm Rookie. Rookie is an old Army nickname.
Anyways, onto the Cliff Notes backstory. In the second half of my junior year in high school, I found out I could grow a Van Dyke, or a goatee as it was known back in the 90s. So I felt it my duty to rock it for those who couldn't.
I turned 18, enlisted, and spent the next 6 years of my life with enforced beardless 4am. shaving, sometimes in cold water.

So my service ends and a funny thing happened. I found I lost my razor! I found one when I was working as a line cook. (As a brief aside, everyone should at one point in their lives work in a restaurant. I'm also available for any culinary advice needed.) I kept a short goatee (see above) throughout.

In the end, I've had at least a mustache for 24 years straight and some form of beard for 18 years. I'm blessed with the kind of thick full beard that inspires confidence in wood related things like the building a house from, living in, chopping down. Or 70s soft rock singer.

But beard care was for me, until about this past November, was shampoo it sometimes. When I'm done brushing my hair, brush the beard. Oil is for engines, balm is for lips. And a pack of disposable Bics and a $.99 can of Barbosol saw me through service in Kosovo and Iraq, goddamnit! And get off my lawn!
I'm starting to appreciate different things now. From Boone's Farm to picturesque Virginia wineries. A ragged 25 year old Japanese cruiser motorcycle to a beautiful 6 year old Japanese cruiser motorcycle. In that spirit, I went to my local Art of Shaving and bought a brush, razor, and bowl kit with a bar of soap.
So I'm here trying to learn from cool people.

Great to have you join us. I appreciate your service. I was blessed to retire from the military. You chose a great path.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Another Aussie here!

Thank you for your service.

Can we ask what type of brush, razor and soap you purchased? And also, how are the shaves going?

Welcome aboard!

Be sure to check out the Wiki and watch a few videos! Tons of useful information (including culinary) around these parts! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome! Lots of Aussies here. That's awesome! I had the pleasure of working alongside some of Australia's finest. Top rate professionals and very pleasant to a man and woman.

Mad Man, if I knew what razor I have or brush, I'd tell you. I went to Art of Shaving aft a local mall and found a nice silver double edge safety razor with matching silver tip badger hair brush. I got an enormous sandalwood soap cake and a wide shallow wooden bowl. But I'm not a fan of the soap. It's bad enough it takes so much time to lather, but it feels like it's drying my cheeks and neck. I just got a shaving cream I hope helps.

Since then I got a few beard oils and some balms. Viking something. Along with a beard brush. Man, let me tell you! I always had a thick strong beard, but this is leveling up. I feel like I can grow it longer and keep it looking good. I also picked up a couple stache waxes. Bearded B___ds Woodsman (not sure where exactly the line is here) and Death Grip, which was a xmas present from my daughter. Um, let's say I need more practice.

Found it! It's Gillette's Arty set. Not in love. I'd much rather a butterfly opening than the disassembly.

While I'm here, I have a question. Mrs. Rookie likes going into antique stores, which means I go into antique stores. Each and every one of them have safely razors. I've had luck mounting vintage camera lenses to my shiny new Pentax, so I'm wondering now. Are vintage razors from say the WWII era ok to use (assuming they're complete and undamaged)? Thanks for your help.

RookieGuy - Welcome and thank-you for your service. Yes, vintage razors are okay to use. Many of us only use vintage. There are many threads here discussing how to clean and shine them. My personal razors go back to the '20s. One of my favorites is from 1936. You can always watch EBay to get an idea of what a particular razor may be worth. There are also replaters that can make that old razor look brand new. Good luck in your searches.

Vintage razors? Not an issue. I’ve picked up a few ancient Gillettes at Op shops and antique stores in regional Victoria and after a little attention with a polishing cloth I give ‘em a soak in Dettol, load a fresh blade and shave. Some folks send ‘em off to get chrome dipped and prettied up. The thing to watch for when buying is that the blade gap is even or, if its a twist-to-open, that it operates easily. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom