What's new

New guy in the PNW

Welcome fellow PNW'er!!

Take a look at Mike's Natural Unscented. I love his barbershop too it's mild and pleasing. I have CK-6 as well and Mike's is tough to beat. Plus he's in Portland!

He doesn't always have it in stock, but he updates his options weekly.

So it has been years since I joined a forum. I have been learning so much here that I figured I would participate.

I am 48 so I have been shaving for awhile. Hating it every single time and doing it the least amount possible.
About a year and a half ago I started looking into safety razors. Six months later (I am thorough) I bought a medium Henson AL13.
I already had an understanding of grain and growth pattern so my leaning curve was pretty short and gentle. Now I hate not being freshly shaved. I have tried a BUNCH of different razors and settled on a few I REALLY like and one in particular that I stocked up on (25 years supply).
I have used Cremo for years and still like it OK. I plan on still using it for travel in my DOP bag.
However, it is time to make things even better. I am ready to start using a brush and real shave soap. But, there is another thread on that.

Anyways, thanks for having me. I am mainly a reader and not a talker.
Welcome to the forum!
My story is exactly like yours, Cremo and all, LOL!!
But the Cremo is history. Not even for traveling!
I got into wet shaving about 10 years ago and gave it up.
Fast forward to last year when I decided to give it another go (and joined B&B).
Now it's a passion and will never go back to my old way of shaving (electrics!)
And now I own and have owned tons of razors, blades etc..
Have fun!

Welcome to the forum!
My story is exactly like yours, Cremo and all, LOL!!
But the Cremo is history. Not even for traveling!
I got into wet shaving about 10 years ago and gave it up.
Fast forward to last year when I decided to give it another go (and joined B&B).
Now it's a passion and will never go back to my old way of shaving (electrics!)
And now I own and have owned tons of razors, blades etc..
Have fun!
I imagine I will eventually wind up with a travel brush and maybe a tube of real shave cream or a soap stick. For now though the Cremo is so compact. I can get a lot of shaves out of my little 2oz bottle without the need for any other implements.

I imagine I will eventually wind up with a travel brush and maybe a tube of real shave cream or a soap stick. For now though the Cremo is so compact. I can get a lot of shaves out of my little 2oz bottle without the need for any other implements.
You will eventually end up with a lot more than those two things, LOL!!
Stick around here and you'll see what I mean!!

Welcome fellow PNW'er!!

Take a look at Mike's Natural Unscented. I love his barbershop too it's mild and pleasing. I have CK-6 as well and Mike's is tough to beat. Plus he's in Portland!

He doesn't always have it in stock, but he updates his options weekly.
I have been checking his sight. I believe he does not still directly in person though. Given what interstate traffic is like here. Maybe shipping is a lot cheaper. I drive truck locally. If I am off the clock I have no patience for traffic.

My wife just ordered me two of the PAA CK-6 Scentsless. I am good for a bit. I would like to try more but I am not the "shave den" have a bunch of different stuff kind of guy.
I am more of a wear a clean pair of the same clothes everyday kind of guy. Once I find a thing that works... I'm good. I am VERY particular though.

Your wife hooked you up with a great soap, you are set for a while. By the time you finish those you'll have a few you are interested in trying.

You will eventually end up with a lot more than those two things, LOL!!
Stick around here and you'll see what I mean!!
Not my nature. A good setup for home and good setup for travel. My current DOP Kit is pretty compact and pretty dialed.

I would rather one fine thing I use well. As opposed to multiple things for the same application. If that thing is cheap and works? Great!
If I have to search and study and spend some money? Well... buy once, cry once.

For instance, I LOVE pocket knives. Practical, legal, useful pocket knives. I have 3.
For work and day to day I use a TRM Neutron in carbon fiber. Nearly $300 hard to obtain and perfect.
On my days off and on vacation or otherwise bumming around a $15 Opinel. Cheap, comfortable, intentionally slow, and perfect.
Twice a week in a suit a $15 Swiss Army Alox Bantam. Cheap, slim classy enough, and perfect.
I have no other pocket knives. I love knives. I think about them. I read about them. I stay informed about them. I watch videos about them. I do not collect them. I do not collect things. When the Neutron replaced the Spyderco I had carried for years. I gifted the Spyderco to my son as it had no useful place in my life.

I know it is unusual to be an "enthusiast" about things and go "full nerd" about stuff and not collect. I like the challenge of having just the RIGHT thing. Not the most expensive or cheap or obscure or popular. THE RIGHT THING... for me.
Then I'm good.

Your wife hooked you up with a great soap, you are set for a while. By the time you finish those you'll have a few you are interested in trying.
If I am happy with it (I suspect I will be) I may just stock up?
She got me a Doppler brush too. I had been talking to Rudy Vey about a build. That will have to wait now.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Not to say I smell like a stinky hippie. I just smell like a clean human.

Welcome to B&B!

Another alternative to unscented soaps that I've used is a simple bar of Yardley moisturizing bath soap. You're heading for the shower anyway. I find it doesn't lather up quite as well with the same technique as shave soaps, but I can get a good lather with it. I like the almond scent, though it's not strong and mainly I only like scents that will entertain me while I'm shaving. After that I prefer to be non-scented. Hence I make my own shave soap so I can "season" it to my personal preference.

The caution I would give about pre-shower shaving comes from personal experience: Using a scrubby boar brush to lather up, then a steel edge to cut off whiskers might make your skin a little sensitive when you then hit it with hot water in the shower. It's a recipe for irritation for me, so if for some reason I shave before showering I'll avoid washing head/face in the shower.

If it's not irritating for you, fly right at 'er. :)

O.H.

Top Bottom