What's new

New guy here

hey y'all.
New double edge shaver here.
Got into a midlife crisis after I found the fiancé with a guy 11 years her junior.
So I went to AOS and bought a full bag of stuff.
Got a heavy Merkur with Gillette platinum blades, and a sample sandalwood kit.
I love their afterbalm and love the razor.
Blades are hit or miss.
Pre shave is crap on my face.
Used for about a month now and I cannot stand the cream. Absolutely no matter what dries out like a Gillette gel lol.
Used VDH shave butter from cvs. Way better shave.
Still want to experiment with creams and soaps and blades.
Plus I hit the gym and lost 25 lbs this last month so my face skin is slightly different.
So now that I lit a few hundred away on AOS that I'm not satisfied, where do I look?
Thanks!
And get I get entered into a PIF?

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Check out our vendors. You can get almost any shaving supplies from them--and they support us.

Welcome to B&B. Sorry to hear about your fiancé. Congrats on the weight loss and discovering wetshaving. There are loads of great products out there. I'd try out a decent boar brush or a synthetic, Italian Barber has nice ones. Ask questions, and soon you will be well on your way.

Welcome and congrats on dodging a bullet.

Were to look?

Buy a blade sampler pack
a gillette tech
a few of the standard soaps (palmolive, arco) and get your basics right before vearing off into the esoteric

Thanks. I have a friend who's local soap maker. She's working on a soap and crime for me but she got behind in production.
Just wondering what some of the favorites are here for sensitive skin as I work outdoors all day

Welcome to B&B. Do some research on here. There are so many good soaps that I like that the list would get very long. A lot of beginners start with Proraso in the tube and I know many experienced shavers that like it as well. It is very easy to work with. Right now I am using Stirling and Wet Shaving Products soaps. You should probably watch some videos on how to create lather. It could be that you just haven't built good lather and the AOS might work for you with some practice. If you haven't shaved with safety razors before it will take some time to master it. There are tons of videos on proper shaving technique, too.

Welcome to B&B. Do some research on here. There are so many good soaps that I like that the list would get very long. A lot of beginners start with Proraso in the tube and I know many experienced shavers that like it as well. It is very easy to work with. Right now I am using Stirling and Wet Shaving Products soaps. You should probably watch some videos on how to create lather. It could be that you just haven't built good lather and the AOS might work for you with some practice. If you haven't shaved with safety razors before it will take some time to master it. There are tons of videos on proper shaving technique, too.
Thanks!
I get a real good shave with the VDH shave butter. 2 passes plus minor touch up on the chin, no irritation.
However,
I set out to master this art and become worldly and knowledgeable in double edge, straight edge, and cut throat.
I just bought a new handcrafted shaving bowl that a local potter made for me. Just picked it up this morning.
I dislike shopping online. I hate amazon.
However I'm going to check out this forums local suppliers.
Just need to be pointed in a direction.

Welcome to the B&B forums. Sorry about your difficulty. Hitting the gym is a great way of de-stressing.

There are many, many soaps and creams. I prefer soaps myself. However, many of them last for a few months or more. Therefore getting samples is a good way to go if you want to try a larger variety. Captain's Choice, Stirling, and many other vendors have sample packs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the B&B forums. Sorry about your difficulty. Hitting the gym is a great way of de-stressing.

There are many, many soaps and creams. I prefer soaps myself. However, many of them last for a few months or more. Therefore getting samples is a good way to go if you want to try a larger variety. Captain's Choice, Stirling, and many other vendors have sample packs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thanks.
What can you do about the woman situation. I was hauling 48 state.
She got tempted by the devil.
We're slowly making a go at repair.
In the meantime, I learn new things.
The one thing I cannot compete with is youth.
However I make lots of $$ now and can blow it on things like wet shaving since she didn't appreciate the house I was clear to close on and walked from when I caught her.

I dislike shopping online.
Unfortunately, good vendors for wet shaving supplies are spread out. You may be lucky enough to live near a good one, but chances are you will have to shop online. That being said, I would recommend a good shaving vendor like those listed in the vendor section. I know Bullgoose and WestCoastShaving are there and they have huge selections. I'm not sure if Maggards is there, but I know people speak highly of them on here.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

Assuming you're in the Boston area and would prefer dealing with places more local to you, you might consider Barrister & Mann, in Cooperstown New York. Although I havent yet used any of their products, they are on the list and many recommend them very highly.

Barrister and Mann LLC

Unfortunately, good vendors for wet shaving supplies are spread out. You may be lucky enough to live near a good one, but chances are you will have to shop online. That being said, I would recommend a good shaving vendor like those listed in the vendor section. I know Bullgoose and WestCoastShaving are there and they have huge selections. I'm not sure if Maggards is there, but I know people speak highly of them on here.
I'll shop online if I have to.

Top Bottom