What's new

New guy here

Hello, new here and new to wet shaving at 51 years old, been doing it for about a month now with a EJ de89 barley edition. Trying different blades and soaps and creams now. Got a cheap badger brush and so far so good, a few nicks here and there but I get razor burn on the neck area more often than not so I'm shaving every other day or so to help the razor burn, which stinks because my beard grows too fast and I can then only get one shave per blade

Welcome John

Try using less pressure basically just the weight of the razor. Also some blades Shave characteristics change and get better after the first shave. Just something to think about.

Welcome to B&B.

Irritation usually is caused by poor blade angle and too much pressure on the razor. The neck is a tricky area to shave because keeping the right blade angle and little pressure is a challenge. The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand.

Some additional suggestions:
1. Be sure your lather has sufficient water in it. This makes your shave smoother.

2. Be sure your face is sufficiently hydrated whether you use warm or cold water. If your face is wet before you apply lather for each pass, IMHO, your shaves will be better.

3. Take a washcloth and dip it in cold water and then place it on your face after your last pass.

4. Use WH on your face after you do step 3 above. Use an after shave balm that is a good moisturizer.

5. At night, before retiring apply a good quality moisturizer to your face. I use CeraVe but there are other good ones out there, too. Look for a product that has ceramides and hyaluronic acid.

Hello and welcome, John. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Hello, new here and new to wet shaving at 51 years old, been doing it for about a month now with a EJ de89 barley edition. Trying different blades and soaps and creams now. Got a cheap badger brush and so far so good, a few nicks here and there but I get razor burn on the neck area more often than not so I'm shaving every other day or so to help the razor burn, which stinks because my beard grows too fast and I can then only get one shave per blade

Welcome! You should check out the Excalibur club! Those guys get a ton of shaves per blade!

Welcome to B&B.

Irritation usually is caused by poor blade angle and too much pressure on the razor. The neck is a tricky area to shave because keeping the right blade angle and little pressure is a challenge. The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand.

Some additional suggestions:
1. Be sure your lather has sufficient water in it. This makes your shave smoother.

2. Be sure your face is sufficiently hydrated whether you use warm or cold water. If your face is wet before you apply lather for each pass, IMHO, your shaves will be better.

3. Take a washcloth and dip it in cold water and then place it on your face after your last pass.

4. Use WH on your face after you do step 3 above. Use an after shave balm that is a good moisturizer.

5. At night, before retiring apply a good quality moisturizer to your face. I use CeraVe but there are other good ones out there, too. Look for a product that has ceramides and hyaluronic acid.
+1

Top Bottom