What's new

New Guy Here with Newb Brush Question

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My sister is moving and she gifted me my fathers Old Spice cup and a rather nice Gillette D3 Adustable (Gold). Two days ago I knew nothing about DE razors but after researching a little, I'm fascinated.

I've ordered soap and some blades and can't wait to give it a try. The brush is my concern.

The bristles are missing in the middle of the brush. The pic shows the brush being damp and it doesn't show as well but there is a bald spot in the knot that is maybe 1/4" but 3/8" that has not fibers left.

Is this brush worth using or should I be looking at a new one.

I'm taking small steps here because I don't know if this is something I want to get interested in so I'm not interested in spending $$$$ on stuff right now.

There is an interesting back story to the razor and I'm proud as heck to have it.

Thanks,
"Dirty"View attachment 1431123

Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

Nice razor! Nothing like passing on a razor to the next generation. Take good care of a solid stainless or brass razor, lasts your life! But I agree, that brush looks like it has had it, and need to be re-knotted. Save it for a future project, but I agree, don't use that brush, get yourself a cheap brush.

Other's have already told you that you can get some quality synthetic or bore brushes in the 15 to 25 dollar range. No need to step into badger brushes until you are sure that this shaving hobby is right for you.

Lots of excellent material on this website to teach you how to shave with a DE razor. But even better, lots of video material on Youtube, which I find more useful, cause I can see it actually done. I recommend video's from GeoFatBoy from Shavenation, his vids are superb.

Once you've had the experience of applying shaving soap lather to your face, I couldn't agree more with GFB, its literally the zen moment of the shave, I absolutely love it. You will have to learn razor technique, but it didn't take me very long, I got the hang of it after about 3 or 4 shaves, you can too!

I will be following your journey, and I wish you good luck!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome aboard as well.

Passed down shaving items are very nice mementos... I have the straight razor my grandfather used on the USS Missouri during WWI. He was one of the ship's barbers. It isn't an expensive one, just a Shumate 30, but it is a pleasant reminder for me. I love Gramps, as we called him. The box it came down to me in is missing the top so I spent a few hours looking online until I found a leather case I liked well enough to hmmmm enshrine it, I suppose.

So.... all that to say... in a few months, you'll be a committed wet shaving, most likely. You'll know what kind of knot you want to replace the damaged one. Have someone reknot it then, as several other people have suggested.

$10 + shipping from Frank @ TurnNShave

1648645435469.png

Thanks for all the help. I have been gifted one from another member. I'll give that a try. Fascinating stuff.
I see there is an old guys club. Rules? Admission requirement? Maybe I'll walk over there and say hi!

Dirty

I have a nice two band finest badger brush that I would like to pass on at no cost just to help you on your way. I prefer a higher loft brush but most users seem to prefer they way this one turned out. PM me with your address.

I would set your father's brush aside for now. It is not hard to reknott a brush if you are at all handy. I was able to save my grandfather's vintage brush from stuff I learned here.

Thanks for the advice.
At this point I think I'll keep the brush and purchase a good value Synthetic. I've done a little looking and the number of opinions and products is overwhelming.

Can someone suggest a reasonably priced synthetic brush? Maybe $20 would be a good budget for me.

Dirty
Good idea, put the old one away and get a new one for your personal use. Razorock Plissoft Disruptor synthetic!
On sale at Groomatorium for $5.99!!
Shipping will run you about $3. Can't beat it for the price!
I ordered one my self because I couldn't pass up the excellent deal.
LRod

Top Bottom