What's new

New Guy Here with Newb Brush Question

My sister is moving and she gifted me my fathers Old Spice cup and a rather nice Gillette D3 Adustable (Gold). Two days ago I knew nothing about DE razors but after researching a little, I'm fascinated.

I've ordered soap and some blades and can't wait to give it a try. The brush is my concern.

The bristles are missing in the middle of the brush. The pic shows the brush being damp and it doesn't show as well but there is a bald spot in the knot that is maybe 1/4" but 3/8" that has not fibers left.

Is this brush worth using or should I be looking at a new one.

I'm taking small steps here because I don't know if this is something I want to get interested in so I'm not interested in spending $$$$ on stuff right now.

There is an interesting back story to the razor and I'm proud as heck to have it.

Thanks,
"Dirty"
IMG_5303.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5304.jpeg
    IMG_5304.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5305.jpeg
    IMG_5305.jpeg
    631.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5306.jpeg
    IMG_5306.jpeg
    795.8 KB · Views: 25
Welcome to B&B.
The bristles are missing in the middle of the brush. The pic shows the brush being damp and it doesn't show as well but there is a bald spot in the knot that is maybe 1/4" but 3/8" that has not fibers left.

Is this brush worth using or should I be looking at a new one.
Nice heirloom Fatboy razor you have but the brush has been abused. It has been mashed into the face when lathering and hence the damage in the centre.
You will need a new brush so think of a boar or synthetic hair shaving brush for the interim. Do you have a budget for that? If you are USA located, try one of the popular online retailers for a new brush of reasonable quality.
In the long term you could have that old brush re-knotted if you wish.

Thanks for the advice.
At this point I think I'll keep the brush and purchase a good value Synthetic. I've done a little looking and the number of opinions and products is overwhelming.

Can someone suggest a reasonably priced synthetic brush? Maybe $20 would be a good budget for me.

Dirty

At this point I think I'll keep the brush and purchase a good value Synthetic. I've done a little looking and the number of opinions and products is overwhelming.

Can someone suggest a reasonably priced synthetic brush? Maybe $20 would be a good budget for me.
Check out Yaqi, RazoRock Plissoft, and Phoenix Artisan Accountrements. My only personal experience is with a PAA, but all are well-regarded here and $20 or less. 24mm is a good mid-size brush size if you're not sure what size you want. Pick a 24mm from one of those that you like the look of, and let us know what you get!

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Thanks for the advice.

Dirty
Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you one. As in for free. How's that for reasonably priced? ;)

Welcome to B&B, the best community on the web.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That's an Executive razor, or gold Fatboy... don't talk $ here, but significantly higher value than a regular Fatboy...
View attachment 1431134
I was just about to offer to dispose of that for him! Thanks a lot!

Seriously, welcome to B and B friend. Lots of subjects to discuss here, not just shaving.

Don't try cleaning that razor any until brighter minds than mine chime in.

Hovering like crazy but don't see any way to send a PM. Maybe I need to be a member for a while.

I'll check my mail JWCowboy.

You can't go wrong with a Razorock synthetic brush to get started. Great prices. Very good brushes IMHO. My current favorite is the "Keyhole". Works well for me bowl or face lathering.

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice.

Dirty
First steps. Keep the brush, as someone said, its part of the history. You can decide down the road if you want to have it re-knotted (or whatever the term is, I'm noobish when it comes to brushes). So, that leaves you with what to get.

Honestly, it isn't going to matter too much to start, so long as it does the basic job. I used a drugstore average boar bristle (Omega, maybe?), and then I got bit by the collecting bug, and had a couple of synthetics I got off Ebay. Then I tried a horsehair because I was curious, but I hated it, and that is the point, you have to find your own way. I decided to go big, and got a silver tip Badger, and its still my brush seven years later.

If you are in/near a large town or city, there may be barbershops that sell some product, including razors/soaps/brushes. Call around, or check out web pages. If not, almost all drugstores, Walmarts, and similar have a shaving section. Almost all of them will carry a basic boar brush for 15-25 $CND.

Start using it. Start shaving. If you like shaving, then start thinking about a better brush. Read up on here and elsewhere. No one has to put out more than $25 CND for a brush, and a lot times you can get one for less online. But keep the one that was your dad's. Even if you don't keep DESR shaving, re-knot it and have it as a gift for another family member, or just to add value if you sell it.

Hovering like crazy but don't see any way to send a PM. Maybe I need to be a member for a while.

I'll check my mail JWCowboy.
I didn't know about the hover thing, and just tried it. It has to be the name, not the icon picture. Took me a sec. If you can't, then it might a new member thing, but probably not, or not for long.

I believe you need 10 posts to send users direct/private messages.

If you look at the top of the page, to the right of your user name, there is an envelope icon that indicates you have received a message from JWCowboy. You should be able to reply to that message and continue a conversation.

Last edited:
I am in the reknot the brush camp. But I also think it would be better for you to try some other brushes to see what you like before you reknot your dad's old brush That way, you can have it fitted with a brush to is more suitable to how you like to shave.

Top Bottom