What's new

New grill or not new grill? That is the question

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have to thank ALL of you for your help on not ruining a steak. I've just recently fallen for my wife's wiley ways of tricking me into making fried pork chops! (I made the mistake of googling it. Got educated) now I have a new job, lol.

Why didn't I google steaks? The process for cooking pig meat drove me nuts, and I didn't know those people. You guys I trust.

Now I need ways to cook steaks INDOORS!

Yeah, I'm seriously a needy individual. And I'm carnivorous and cheap.

Everything pretty much covered already. If you want the diamond grill marks, turn the steaks 60° half way through cooking each side.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

Cook by sous vide, and then reverse sear in a screaming hot cast iron skillet (preferably preheated in the oven). Add a little oil to the skillet.

You can even do the sous vide a day or two ahead of time and keep the steaks in the fridge until you are ready to sear.

Ok then guys, convince me to do it at home! I'd much rather do that than get the occasion bad one I probably paid to much for!

PLEASE educate me! Steak is the one thing the War Department don't cook. And I do it poorly. So:

What is a good way to make medium well steak EASY on or in the stove or on a gas grill. PLEASE.
I've been using this steak chart for nearly 20 years after my mother-in-law sent us Omaha Steaks/ perfect every time

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yep, I’m going to replace the burners. I’ve been a charcoal grill man for many decades. I just made the switch to gas when I married a couple of years ago. It doesn’t taste the same but it sure is easy!

And why is George foreman the only one with cookware? Why didn’t Joe Frazier, Sugar Ray Leonard, or The Greatest come out with cookware? Now I’ll be pondering that the rest of the evening.
Mohammad Ali should have patented ropadope.

Yeah, I'm seriously a needy individual. And I'm carnivorous and cheap.

Whatever you do, don't over think it. Like anything simple, the fewer the steps/ingredients, the easier it is to screw up.

Steak indoors is the same as out; better results (in my opinion) because of the sear on the entire suface, not just a few lines.

1) Pre-salt your steak LIBERALLY. It's almost impossible to over-salt. Just brush off any visual salt before you cook.
2) Get a heavy skillet hot. The hotter the pan, the quicker the cook, and the easier it is to control meat temp.
3) Rub a drop or two of fat on the meat and put in pan. If it's not hissing and sizzling, the pan isn't near hot enough.
4) Depending on the thickness, only a few minutes per side. I like to add a pat of butter and a clove or two of garlic, and flip often during the last half of the cook.
5) If seared to your liking and still too rare, place in a 300 oven for a few mionutes.
6) Let rest 10 minutes for the internal pressure to subside, so as to not lose too many juices.

Last edited:
I have a Weber genesis at the house and just went out and bought a Weber Jumbo Joe for camping. I will be assembling it tonight before we head out camping on Thursday.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Whatever you do, don't over think it. Like anything simple, the fewer the steps/ingredients, the easier it is to screw up.

Steak indoors is the same as out; better results (in my opinion) because of the sear on the entire suface, not just a few lines.

1) Pre-salt your steak LIBERALLY. It's almost impossible to over-salt. Just brush off any visual salt before you cook.
2) Get a heavy skillet hot. The hotter the pan, the quicker the cook, and the easier it is to control meat temp.
3) Rub a drop or two of fat on the meat and put in pan. If it's not hissing and sizzling, the pan isn't near hot enough.
4) Depending on the thickness, only a few minutes per side. I like to add a pat of butter and a clove or two of garlic, and flip often during the last half of the cook.
5) If seared to your liking and still too rare, place in a 300 oven for a few mionutes.
6) Let rest 10 minutes for the internal pressure to subside, so as to not lose too many juices.
Thank you!

^^ Yes, this ^^

Pan-sear & oven finish. It's a classic. This will also help you really nail the level of done-ness, because oven finished steaks tend to be more evenly cooked across the inside so you can take them more toward well without producing something that is shoe-leather on the outside. If you've ever cut into a steak that was nicely seared and almost uniformly pink all the way from top to bottom, it was likely oven finished. Oven finished steak is in many ways a thin roast, so you can get those roast-beef characteristics of uniformity and juiciness provided you salt & sear it so it doesn't dry out. Basting a pan-seared steak when you check its temperature is wonderful. Butter & thinly sliced garlic is hard to beat & then top it with pan-seared mushrooms. Damn. I've been a vegetarian for over a decade now but this is making me question my life choices. (though it's nice being a lot thinner now, lol)

Top Bottom