What's new

New grill or not new grill? That is the question

I have a charmglow that is about 17 years old. The burners are pretty much shot. I have an hand me down Frigidaire that is about 13 years old and in the same boat, shot burners.

the cheapskate in me says replace the burners

the other part of me wonders if a new grill is the answer. Are the new 2020 models any better?

looking for propane. them traegers are tempting but wondering about the the overall fuel cost when using it 5 nights a week sometimes.

The problem with older grills is that they are not hot enough and don't leave good grill marks. On the other hand, a good new grill is expensive. I bought a Napoleon 4 burner grill with rotisserie and an infrared searing burner on the side. The searing infrared burner runs at 1200 degrees and only takes a minute per side to put grill marks on a hamburger patty. The grill itself with all four burners running will peak out at just a bit above 750 degrees. The rotisserie burner in the rear is also infrared. Shellshocked at the cost, but it really does a great job. I had mine set up for natural as I got tired of running out midway during a barbeque session. I just better not forget to turn it off as it ain't running out of gas soon! LOL BTW, my neighbor got a Weber with all infrared burners in it. He likes it a lot.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You do have a quandary. What to do. I am all for repairing stuff these days. But man, a new grill to break in and play around with. Sorry not much help. I feel for you. A decision that I am glad that I don’t have to make.

I recently replaced a 20 year old Ducane. I bought it in 2000 for an extravagant $700 thinking that with the lifetime warranty, it would be my last grill. Lifetime warranties are only good if the company stays in business (I think Duncane sold out to China). After nursing it for the past few years, we finally gave up when it started leaking after our move. My wife found a Weber Genesis for the price of a Spirit so we jumped on it. Like vacman said, the difference in heat is unbelievable. We don’t have a searing burner but we can get it up to 500 degrees in a few minutes for finishing sous vide steaks or baking a quick pizza. I love my Big Green Egg but the gas grill always has a place.

I recently replaced a 20 year old Ducane. I bought it in 2000 for an extravagant $700 thinking that with the lifetime warranty, it would be my last grill. Lifetime warranties are only good if the company stays in business (I think Duncane sold out to China). After nursing it for the past few years, we finally gave up when it started leaking after our move. My wife found a Weber Genesis for the price of a Spirit so we jumped on it. Like vacman said, the difference in heat is unbelievable. We don’t have a searing burner but we can get it up to 500 degrees in a few minutes for finishing sous vide steaks or baking a quick pizza. I love my Big Green Egg but the gas grill always has a place.

That's funny because the grill I moved from was a Dukane. I, too, thought it was going to be the last grill I ever bought. Then the grills started going bad and when the burners began to rot out, I was very surprised to find that the company had gone out of business and the replacement parts available on eBay were outrageously expensive. No practical choice other than to replace and I'm glad I did.

looking for propane. them traegers are tempting but wondering about the the overall fuel cost when using it 5 nights a week sometimes.

When it comes to propane, I think it's hard to beat the quality, cost, and ease of use of a Weber.

However, lump charcoal Weber kettle is even more economical, better flavor, can get hotter (place the grate on top of chimney lighter, and it's like a jet engine: perfect for scallops), and with tinkering it can resemble a komodo type. Time and effort to fire up is substantially mor effort than propane, obviously.

A Traeger (or other pellet 'grill') is a super easy bbq (however, regular cleaning is required). But, I think you'll be disappointed if you're trying to grill. It just doesn't get hot enough, and it's indirect heat; think of an oven - not an environment to cook a steak. Many claim that removing or rearranging pieces will allow for direct heat, but the fire pot is still about the size of a deck of playing cards - perfect one slider burger at a time. ;)

Last edited:
If your grills are in decent condition other than the burners, then check out the closest Ace Hardware for replacement burners. Take the old burners along if possible to get the best fit. Most grills can be re-burnered for less than $40. And it isn't a difficult fix. If that doesn't get it done, look no further than a Weber gas grill. They offer several models to choose from. Or if you want to go charcoal, what is better than Webers' 22" kettle? Weber is hands down the best brand for performance, reliability and parts when needed. Nobody is close to them. I sold hundreds of grills for 30+ years, I know what I'm talking about. Pellet grills are mainly for smoking, which they perform well enough, but they just don't get hot enough for grilling. I heard too many people tell me their costly pellet grills won't grill a steak, burger or chicken the way they want it. Weber will still be around years from now when most pellet grill manufacturers of today will be history.

Took the charm glow apart. Rot holes all over it. Definitely getting a new one. I will be in civilization this weekend and will grab something on the way home. Most likely a Weber. Can someone explain the need to install colored LEDs in the knobs of some of these high priced things. . That’s just silly.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Enablers! I should never have come to this thread!

Mr Webber is calling...... loudly!

Enablers! I should never have come to this thread!

Mr Webber is calling...... loudly!
I know, me too! Horrible timing on my part! I’m trying to decide today what to do with my grill. Replace the burners or buy a new one. What do you enablers think?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I know, me too! Horrible timing on my part! I’m trying to decide today what to do with my grill. Replace the burners or buy a new one. What do you enablers think?
If you are happy with the rest of it, and it's just a cheap one like mine, replace the burners.

My next one will be a George Foreman electric one for outdoors doggone!

I came from a gas grill that needed new burners and two months ago just junked it and jumped to a Akorn Jr - it’s a mini kamado. Best culinary move I’ve made in a looong time.

If you want a gas grill, get a Weber. They last forever and if the burners need replacing it is worthwhile spending the money. I’ve been able to get it over 650 degrees F. They are built like tanks.

I came from a gas grill that needed new burners and two months ago just junked it and jumped to a Akorn Jr - it’s a mini kamado. Best culinary move I’ve made in a looong time.

My neighbor bought a Kamado. It gets very hot and he makes pizzas on it. But it’s like $1,500 for a charcoal grill. And the grill sq ft seems small. It looks good and seems to work well.

Top Bottom