What's new

New go to (non Russian) blade (non political post)

Nacet and GSB are my favorite blades, and I plan on using what I have. And at my age, they may last the rest of my life, but I do not plan on buying anymore Russian blades. :hand:

Please remember that the blades made in Russia by PPI (Gillette) in St. Petersburg and Mostochlegmash in Moscow are produced by citizens of Russia who are not necessarily supporters of their country's leadership. However, there are plenty of excellent blades made in other countries. Purchase whatever blades work best for you.

Like you, I have enough blades to last until my "use by" date unless I outlive the actuarial tables.

Please remember that the blades made in Russia by PPI (Gillette) in St. Petersburg and Mostochlegmash in Moscow are produced by citizens of Russia who are not necessarily supporters of their country's leadership. However, there are plenty of excellent blades made in other countries. Purchase whatever blades work best for you.

Like you, I have enough blades to last until my "use by" date unless I outlive the actuarial tables.
You don't need to propagate the idea of a "good russian man who is a victim" here. Thanks and have a good time.

I’m a Lord fan but I get excellent results with Lab Blues. Great blade that works well for most faces.

I too eschew Russian blades.

Just started a new weeks shave with the Lab Blue earlier today in the DE89. Although it and the GSB have been my mist favorite blades, it trying other blades, I just keep forgetting how excellent they really are. So smooth... as specially after shave #7 with the Dorco ST300.

Feels like the best and closest shave I have ever had with the DE89. Feels like I shaved with the R41.

I was in this nice shopping center a few hours ago. I saw they had a Dollar Tree there. I stopped in and walked out with their Assure DE razor for $1.25. I am going to throw the Lab Blue blade in it for this mornings shave. Should be interesting?

I will set aside the tuck of 5-Assure DE blades for down the line, way down the line!

Since commencing my DE shaving journey my top blade has been the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow with the Gillette Rubie a very close 2nd, both Russian made.

When events in Ukriane kicked off it occured to me that, sooner or later, sanctions etc may lead to shortages so I began looking for a top non Russian blade just in case...

I'd tried Bic's before and was not that impressed but tried again and sadly reaffirmed my opinion.

Wilkinson Swords - no.

Dorco - ok, but not great

Feather - very good, for one or maybe two shaves!

Gillette Black - didn't really do it for me.

Treet - less said the better

Muhle - nope

Shark - *sigh* not for me

Personna Red - also ok, but not great

But then I happened upon another Personna which I believe is referred to as Med Prep and I think I may have found my new top 3 blade. Nicely sharp and smooth from the off and I can get a good number of uses out of one before it requires replacing.

They don't seem to be that prevalent in the UK so I'm hoping that supply doesn't become an issue here, not that it has yet with the Gillettes.
no idea why you don't like the wilkinson sword classics, i think they are one of the best you can get within the territory they play in (kind of sharp but very smooth). if you are looking for the best blade there probably is in terms of 100% irritation-free shaves paired with very high effectivity, there is no way around the kai blades (a pack of 100 costs 45 euro on amazon). these things are nothing less than superb and quite a bit better than any russian made blade there ever was anyway. i'm willing to pay that much for them. the only blades i have ever tried that came slightly close were wilkinson sword classics (ger) and personna lab blue. american made personnas have become way too expensive here in europe though for what they are.

You should give the Czech made Tiger (or Tatra) blades a try. To me they are a completely different animal than other blades. Very smooth but not quite as durable as some others.

I've been generally completely avoiding Gillette products and now especially I will not buy anything from Russia. I think Lord produces a wide variety of great blades at a superb price, Lord platinum being my favorite. Personnas are kind of too pricey here in EU.

I found a box of Personna lab blues that I purchased sometime in 2011-2012, I think. Maybe 15 or so blades used (haven't bothered counting). Not sure why I kinda set them aside, but I plan to give them a whirl starting this weekend. I have been rolling with GSB and Polsilver/Wizamets for years, but well below 100 left of each of those so likewise been thinking about what DE blades I'll be buying next.

I do quite a bit of AC single edge shaving too, so hadn't really thought about this til I found those Personnas.

You should give the Czech made Tiger (or Tatra) blades a try. To me they are a completely different animal than other blades. Very smooth but not quite as durable as some others.
Just please make sure they're not the carbon steel versions of those blades, which are not suitable for use on human faces.

You really should dial up Razors Blades Club and go on an Indian blade Safari! In fact, they have Super-Max blades that are packaged for the UK market so you would be able to buy them somewhere local too. There are number of good options and most are in the middle sharpness range, some are a bitter duller. I don't know what happened to the bad QC reported years ago, but I use like a half dozen different brands(factories) from there. There are some good blades from CN, but some of the recommended ones were a miss for me and some of the lesser known ones were great. Overall, I think you are less likely to get your face chewed up experimenting with Indian blades. US Personnas are too bitey sharp for me, but I use them occasionally.
They may be packaged for the UK market but they sure as hell aren't sold over here

My two suggestions are the Pakistani Treet Black carbons, which are one of my go to blades as well as the German/Egyptian Elios Inoxidables (Used to be German, now made in Egypt. The 10 pack ones are German, 11 pack ones are Egyptian)

I've recently been turned onto Silver Stars. So far, they have been a rather pleasant surprise. I have gotten at least3 DFS's and about 2 BBS's out of 1 tuck.
They're my number 1's. Personna Lab Blues unlike everyone else give me mostly "ok" shaves but aren't great for me personally

Since commencing my DE shaving journey my top blade has been the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow with the Gillette Rubie a very close 2nd, both Russian made.

When events in Ukriane kicked off it occured to me that, sooner or later, sanctions etc may lead to shortages so I began looking for a top non Russian blade just in case...

I'd tried Bic's before and was not that impressed but tried again and sadly reaffirmed my opinion.

Wilkinson Swords - no.

Dorco - ok, but not great

Feather - very good, for one or maybe two shaves!

Gillette Black - didn't really do it for me.

Treet - less said the better

Muhle - nope

Shark - *sigh* not for me

Personna Red - also ok, but not great

But then I happened upon another Personna which I believe is referred to as Med Prep and I think I may have found my new top 3 blade. Nicely sharp and smooth from the off and I can get a good number of uses out of one before it requires replacing.

They don't seem to be that prevalent in the UK so I'm hoping that supply doesn't become an issue here, not that it has yet with the Gillettes.
I use Dorco, Astra SP and Derby Extra blades. Will continue to use the Asta SP's that I own though given the events of the past year will not purchase any more. Fortunately the Dorco and Derby Extra blades work well for me. Somewhat hesitant to recommend the Derby's for you since based on your Feather blade result my sense is that you prefer a sharper blade.

Dorco's are my best blade typically good for 10-12 shaves. What Dorco did you use and was it newer made in Vietnam production or older product from Korea? Also which Dorco brand was it, Titan (STL300), Stainless (ST300/301) or Prime (STP300/301)? You can pick up 100 made in Vietnam Dorco ST300 blades for under $6 on Amazon these days. The STP300 Dorco Prime blades for around $10 per 100 are also excellent. I use them both.

Top Bottom