What's new

New Gillette Razor - Treo uses Gillette Guard cartridges.

Plastic is all around us, unlike many other razors this can be fully recycled.
+1
I agree 100 %
If plastic must be used, use as little as possible.
The Gillette Guard uses half the plastic of an M3,
& a third that of a Fusion.

Last edited:
+1
I agree 100 %
If plastic must be used, use as little as possible.
The Gillette Guard uses half the plastic of an M3,
& a third that of a Fusion.
True and actually many people won't brake that handles at all. It's simple mechanism. Plastic inspite being light is durable

I suppose that the Treo will be marketed through pharmacists/chemists.
The Guard was marketed the same way, at least in my area.

This requires a bit of background.
The Gillette products in the developing world were not selling well.
Gillette decided to launch the Atra in India as the Gillette Vector in 2002 but it was a massive flop.
Gillette spent fortune on Indian razor forgetting country's no running water | Daily Mail Online

P&G 2011 AR: Clean Shave, Emerging Markets, Gillette Guard

The Guard is considered one of the worlds most innovative razors, & its marketing and successful launch is studied at many universities. Here is the Harvard Business Review article.
P&G Innovates on Razor-Thin Margins

This razor incorporates a comb, like the DE razors from 1910 to 1930. It has a single blade, like a DE.
Its shave is also very similar to that of a DE, except for the fact that it is a swivelling cart. It was designed as an alternative to DE's, and it works well with long thick beards, inadequate shave prep, inadequate lather or just plain bath soap, for new shavers etc.
It's also very cheap. Today it sells for 35 cents. The cartridge six pack sells for 85 cents, or 14 cents per cart. It is the worlds cheapest cartridge system. Some would say it is also one of the best.
Naturally, Gillette does not want users of its multiblade systems switching over to this razor. In India it is also not easily available except in villages & small towns.
I heard about this razor when a B&B member posted a review in 2013.
I thought to myself 'what the hell? '
I'd never heard of this razor,
& I live in India (Bombay).
I could not find the razor anywhere.
I finally ran it to earth after almost two weeks of searching, at a small pharmacists.
Gillette seems to have had severely restricted its availability in affluent areas.
My thread on the Guard is here.

Gillette Guard longevity test

Many B&B members have used & praised the Guard, esp. those with thick beards.
Men who shave intermittently, or those prone to ingrowns also find it useful.
The Gillette Guard razor has not been officially launched in Europe or in the USA.
But, if it was to be launched in the USA or Europe, Gillette probably fears that current premium priced multiblade users may switch over to the Guard, partly due to the fact that as a single blade cart it may suit some shavers better, and also due to the low costs.
In addition, it also gives the lie to Gillettes marketing claim that multiblades are better.

But at the same time, Gillette is proud of its accomplishment.
So how can they launch such a revolutionary razor without cannibalizing their existing market?
The Treo is the answer.
Launch a razor for a special needs group which will never be used by regular shavers because they will not want to be associated with its subliminal images of old &/or holpitalized men. It uses the cartridge from the Guard, with a different 'handle'. We are informed the cart should be discarded after one use for reasons of hygiene.
It is BRILLIANT marketing.
Gillettes marketing teams must have spent years on this.

Perhaps now it is possible to understand why Gillettes lawyers went after such small vendors of the Guard.
If the Guard handles become easily available, & the Treo carts are also available in shops, Gillettes fears may, to some extent, come to pass. But I doubt it.
I personally feel that Gillette's fears are exaggerated. Shavers are a status concious breed, & I doubt if M3 & Fusion users will switch over, precisely because the Guard is cheap. (That includes us DE shavers too.
I'm sure many of us secretly acknowledge that our Feather Populars shave as well as that latest all-stainless custom made 200$
contraption. But publically? Hell no. That thing I got last week is the greatest since sliced bread...)

This is wholeheartedly one of the best posts I've ever read on B&B.

I think, for the "market" it's intended for, this is a phenomenal product and will really help serve it's intended purpose.

Now, the RAD in me just screams "travel razor!" Haha. I think I could get around the awkward angle for the awesome shave it would provide. We all know the benefits of proper lather but, for me at least, I could easily get through a business trip, weekend get away, or camping trip with this set up and achieve, at minimum, dfs/ccs if not full on bbs.

This is, in my opinion, Gillette's biggest win since the guard carts were released in general.

Speaking of which... Now there will be a huge need for guard carts in the US which means we in the states can get them potentially in bulk.

Last edited:
Now there will be a huge need for guard carts in the US which means we in the states can get them potentially in bulk.

Precisely.
That is the point I was trying to make.
And the Gillette Guard handle is available from many online vendors.
If Gillette does not shut these vendors down,
The USA & Europe will have access to the only single blade cartridge system designed in the last 40 years, since the Wilkinson Bonded in the early 70's.

Last edited:
Precisely.
That is the point I was trying to make.
And the Gillette Guard handle is available from many online vendors.
If Gillette does not shut these vendors down,
The USA & Europe will have access to the only single blade cartridge system designed in the last 40 years, since the Wilkinson Bonded in the early 70's.

And not only the only one available but a fairly decent razor, especially for the price. Those Orange bics would disappear

I have a Guard razor and tons of refills. I like it. I just don't ever use it. It's a great, and safe, shaver. Just really boring and very light weight.

It's a great, and safe, shaver. Just really boring and very light weight.

For a cartridge razor intended for daily use,
"Safe" & "Boring" are possibly the ultimate accolades.

The implication is that the razor has met the expectation(s) in the mind of the user.

Last edited:
Any update on the availability of this? I'm really looking forward to possibly being able to get guard carts without long waits from India.

I also just ordered a handle and a few guard carts that should be in by the end of the week and am excited to give it a shot.

Just fired up my first Gillette Guard shave moments ago. Overall = very good.

This fly weight, single blade razor did a very good job. It wasn't quite as "clog proof" as I thought it would be. If you use very thick lather you'll want to rinse it out sooner than later to prevent blade skipping.

Ultimately this will be a very useful addition to the shave den. It will come in handy for those that want to travel with a utilitarian single edge razor. Also if you had a rough previous shave with a different razor and still have to shave the next day, the Guard will easily give you an effortless SAS while going very easy on previously irritated skin.

Worth having in ye olde shave den for sure.

Now I'm really liking the Guard! Today I lathered up with Proraso green and went one pass WTG and second pass ATG. The entire time the single blade of the Guard cut as smooth as butter.

I believe for some users (definitely myself included), the pivoting head on a razor like this really makes a huge difference. Before Gillette came out with pivoting head razors I would routinely nick myself, and that issue has completely disappeared since the pivoting concept.

This is definitely a razor you may want in the bag for emergencies, traveling, mindless shaves (no thought required!) and the price is definitely right when purchased through suitable vendors.

Yet to be determined is the longevity of the blade, but that will obviously vary by individual. This razor reeks of cheap, injection molded plastic but delivers performance well beyond its low price point.

Now I'm really liking the Guard! Today I lathered up with Proraso green and went one pass WTG and second pass ATG. The entire time the single blade of the Guard cut as smooth as butter.

I believe for some users (definitely myself included), the pivoting head on a razor like this really makes a huge difference. Before Gillette came out with pivoting head razors I would routinely nick myself, and that issue has completely disappeared since the pivoting concept.

This is definitely a razor you may want in the bag for emergencies, traveling, mindless shaves (no thought required!) and the price is definitely right when purchased through suitable vendors.

Yet to be determined is the longevity of the blade, but that will obviously vary by individual. This razor reeks of cheap, injection molded plastic but delivers performance well beyond its low price point.

Very nice review! I'm not too concerned about longevity as I typically get (tops) 2 shaves from a de or disposable and at most 4 from an injector. Typically I once and done my blades so if I like the guard for rotation, travel, whatever, I'll just buy in bulk. Should have my handle and carts in tomorrow.

Very nice review! I'm not too concerned about longevity as I typically get (tops) 2 shaves from a de or disposable and at most 4 from an injector. Typically I once and done my blades so if I like the guard for rotation, travel, whatever, I'll just buy in bulk. Should have my handle and carts in tomorrow.

Thank you sir.

The Guard is my travel razor these days. My only wish is that the handle was a little smaller so that I could fit it in a soap dish or other small container along with my other travel shaving stuff (sample size soap and AS, Mighty Midget brush).

The Guard is my travel razor these days. My only wish is that the handle was a little smaller so that I could fit it in a soap dish or other small container along with my other travel shaving stuff (sample size soap and AS, Mighty Midget brush).

It's just hollow plastic... A Dremel tool or hacksaw should easily make it as short as you want in a few seconds. And if you break it you only lost $1 haha

In 2013 I have taken the Guard up to 130 single pass WTG shaves.
Recently, to test the 2017 Guard cart, I have done 70.
Obviously that will not apply to everyone & YMMV.
In my opinion, WTG & XTG is where the Guard shines.

In 2013 I have taken the Guard up to 130 single pass WTG shaves.
Recently, to test the 2017 Guard cart, I have done 70.
Obviously that will not apply to everyone & YMMV.
In my opinion, WTG & XTG is where the Guard shines.

Wow!

Yep, the Guard will always have a place in my cabinet :thumbsup:

Top Bottom