What's new

New Gillette Razor - Treo uses Gillette Guard cartridges.

Treo2.jpeg

Cream/ Gel dispenses from the cap at the base of the razor.
The tube acts as the handle.
It uses the Gillette Guard cartridge.
Cartridge is intended to be discarded after one use.:lol:

Last edited:
If the tube detaches from the razor attachment, this should make a great little travel razor.

Or the Guard handle can be bought from the many vendors who have it.

Last edited:
It makes the Guard cart easily available.
Maggard has the Guard handle.
As do others.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gillette-Guard-Cartridge-Razor/167749545

Gillette Guard Cartridge Razor

Gillette Guard Cartridge Razor With 4 Cartridge Blades – ItalianBarber

And besides, with a short handle, the angle is different.
With the tube removed, it is at the perfect angle.

The guard isn't a hard product to find.. I see them every time I go grocery shopping. So I guess I'm not following what you are getting at.. if you remove the tube how would you shave someone with it?

My first thought was, "OMG, what a landfill nightmare. Disposable consumerism at its worst."

Then I realized this is for medical purposes, not for the general public, and it made sense. Not only could you shave someone else with it (think nursing home or hospital), but that fat handle with the shave cream built in will be easier for guys whose hands can no longer grip well or use a can of shaving cream.

The guard isn't a hard product to find.. I see them every time I go grocery shopping.

I thought it was not available in brick & mortar stores?
In fact an online b&b vendor posted a cease & desist notice from P&G's lawyer which effectively stopped him from selling the Guard.

My first thought was, "OMG, what a landfill nightmare. Disposable consumerism at its worst."

Then I realized this is for medical purposes, not for the general public, and it made sense. Not only could you shave someone else with it (think nursing home or hospital), but that fat handle with the shave cream built in will be easier for guys whose hands can no longer grip well or use a can of shaving cream.
And because of the built in cream, & vertical angle, it should also make a great leg shaver.

ONE USE PER CART??? :a13::a13:

As a medical precaution , & for hygiene reasons when shaving a patient, Gillette advises a new cart should be used every time.
The cart has the ability to do a lot more.
I have used a Gillette Guard cart for 130 consecutive shaves in 2013 without any problems.

I thought it was not available in brick & mortar stores?
In fact an online b&b vendor posted a cease & desist notice from P&G's lawyer which effectively stopped him from selling the Guard.
That type of action makes me not want to purchase the manufacturers product(s) at all. I wonder if the vendor was selling them for less than P&G's minimum allowable MSRP or if something else prompted it.

That type of action makes me not want to purchase the manufacturers product(s) at all. I wonder if the vendor was selling them for less than P&G's minimum allowable MSRP or if something else prompted it.

This requires a bit of background.
The Gillette products in the developing world were not selling well.
Gillette decided to launch the Atra in India as the Gillette Vector in 2002 but it was a massive flop.
Gillette spent fortune on Indian razor forgetting country's no running water | Daily Mail Online

P&G 2011 AR: Clean Shave, Emerging Markets, Gillette Guard

The Guard is considered one of the worlds most innovative razors, & its marketing and successful launch is studied at many universities. Here is the Harvard Business Review article.
P&G Innovates on Razor-Thin Margins

This razor incorporates a comb, like the DE razors from 1910 to 1930. It has a single blade, like a DE.
Its shave is also very similar to that of a DE, except for the fact that it is a swivelling cart. It was designed as an alternative to DE's, and it works well with long thick beards, inadequate shave prep, inadequate lather or just plain bath soap, for new shavers etc.
It's also very cheap. Today it sells for 35 cents. The cartridge six pack sells for 85 cents, or 14 cents per cart. It is the worlds cheapest cartridge system. Some would say it is also one of the best.
Naturally, Gillette does not want users of its multiblade systems switching over to this razor. In India it is also not easily available except in villages & small towns.
I heard about this razor when a B&B member posted a review in 2013.
I thought to myself 'what the hell? '
I'd never heard of this razor,
& I live in India (Bombay).
I could not find the razor anywhere.
I finally ran it to earth after almost two weeks of searching, at a small pharmacists.
Gillette seems to have had severely restricted its availability in affluent areas.
My thread on the Guard is here.

Gillette Guard longevity test

Many B&B members have used & praised the Guard, esp. those with thick beards.
Men who shave intermittently, or those prone to ingrowns also find it useful.
The Gillette Guard razor has not been officially launched in Europe or in the USA.
But, if it was to be launched in the USA or Europe, Gillette probably fears that current premium priced multiblade users may switch over to the Guard, partly due to the fact that as a single blade cart it may suit some shavers better, and also due to the low costs.
In addition, it also gives the lie to Gillettes marketing claim that multiblades are better.

But at the same time, Gillette is proud of its accomplishment.
So how can they launch such a revolutionary razor without cannibalizing their existing market?
The Treo is the answer.
Launch a razor for a special needs group which will never be used by regular shavers because they will not want to be associated with its subliminal images of old &/or holpitalized men. It uses the cartridge from the Guard, with a different 'handle'. We are informed the cart should be discarded after one use for reasons of hygiene.
It is BRILLIANT marketing.
Gillettes marketing teams must have spent years on this.

Perhaps now it is possible to understand why Gillettes lawyers went after such small vendors of the Guard.
If the Guard handles become easily available, & the Treo carts are also available in shops, Gillettes fears may, to some extent, come to pass. But I doubt it.
I personally feel that Gillette's fears are exaggerated. Shavers are a status concious breed, & I doubt if M3 & Fusion users will switch over, precisely because the Guard is cheap. (That includes us DE shavers too.
I'm sure many of us secretly acknowledge that our Feather Populars shave as well as that latest all-stainless custom made 200$
contraption. But publically? Hell no. That thing I got last week is the greatest since sliced bread...)

Last edited:
Hypothetically speaking If guard was released in southeast/eastern europe I believe it could be the most used razor.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I am against this razor because it uses too much plastic.

Plastic is harmful to the animals{Especially to the Sea Turtles) and to the enviornment.

I am against this razor because it uses too much plastic.

Plastic is harmful to the animals{Especially to the Sea Turtles) and to the enviornment.

Plastic is all around us, unlike many other razors this can be fully recycled.

Top Bottom