What's new

new gillette King c safety razor

Was googling as i just woke up...(usually wake up at 2am i have trouble sleeping) and noticed this in my feed ...made my eye raise and just wanted to share it

Attachments

• 066C821C-CC4C-4C18-B7CF-4D957A52C41A.png
    066C821C-CC4C-4C18-B7CF-4D957A52C41A.png
    648 KB · Views: 71
It’s been in the US for several months. There are a number of threads on it. I like it a lot. Mild. the Balance is good for me

Similar to the Muhle R89. Based on what you have said recently, it's milder than you like. The King C blades are quite good, though.

Was googling as i just woke up...(usually wake up at 2am i have trouble sleeping) and noticed this in my feed ...made my eye raise and just wanted to share it
I've recently purchased one and can confirm that this is a mild razor. Mild doesn't always mean inefficient, just a narrower sweet spot since the blade exposure is narrower. I would put this razor between Merkur 3-piece head and a Gillette Slim on 4. I shaved with mine this morning using the KCG blades that came with the razor, and received a very nice 2-pass, with some touch up, DFS+ shave.

I got mine at Walgreens. If you browse their online store, you'll notice a $5 clip coupon on the razor page; $29.99 - $5 coupon = $24.99 deal!!

The handle is very heavy, but the threading is the common threading and does allow for the handle to be swapped or a different head to be used.

The KCG blades that came with the razor have amazing etching on them and are a good balance between smooth and sharp. I've only had my first shave with them so I don't know how long they'll last.

Honestly, in the beginning it was super looking razor at a very good price, here in Germany-15 euros. First impressions from the shave were it was good enough for me and again for the price it was OK. BUT after 6 months of use and taking good care of, sadly the low price is speaking of itself, the first signs of rust are coming around the alignment posts and honestly I don't think it will make a whole year of use. So it's good looking, the weight is good, balance also is ok, the grip of the handle is good with wet hands, but soapy hands-forget about it, it's not aggressive at all, buut the coating obviously is not good enough. With that said, I think there are better options in or close to that price range (more aggressive and long-lasting). I bought it as a first step in DE shaving, and I thought it was going to last some years... Apparently not, sadly.

Attachments

• 20201024_144126.jpg
    20201024_144126.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
I picked one up at the local Walgreens this past summer and have yet to shave with it. I love my Rockwell so much I don’t use any other razor.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I searched for this razor in my local stores when I started my DE razor journey. Then I discovered some vintage Gillette’s and that locked it down for what I was looking for in closeness and comfort. Never did try out the King C, but figured just as well.

Honestly, in the beginning it was super looking razor at a very good price, here in Germany-15 euros. First impressions from the shave were it was good enough for me and again for the price it was OK. BUT after 6 months of use and taking good care of, sadly the low price is speaking of itself, the first signs of rust are coming around the alignment posts and honestly I don't think it will make a whole year of use. So it's good looking, the weight is good, balance also is ok, the grip of the handle is good with wet hands, but soapy hands-forget about it, it's not aggressive at all, buut the coating obviously is not good enough. With that said, I think there are better options in or close to that price range (more aggressive and long-lasting). I bought it as a first step in DE shaving, and I thought it was going to last some years... Apparently not, sadly.
That too bad!

...the first signs of rust are coming around the alignment posts and honestly I don't think it will make a whole year of use. So it's good looking, the weight is good, balance also is ok, the grip of the handle is good with wet hands, but soapy hands-forget about it, it's not aggressive at all, buut the coating obviously is not good enough.
That is not rust from the razor head which is a ziinc alloy. It could just be tea staining or rust stains from the blades.
I don't like that handle which is an ugly duckling; nothing like Gillette handles of the past.

The King C Gillette DE safety razor is now also available in the Netherlands for some weeks. What strikes me is the difference in price. I‘ve read (and saw a picture of an in-store display) that the price is $29,99 in the U.S.
Here in the Netherlands they sell for €14,99.
and now a drugstore over here has a 1+1 free promotion for the whole King C Gillette collection. So that is only €7,50 for the razor. (in-store, or on-line, free shipping)
That is a steal.....
4C68E751-75F0-4B3A-A540-20A8B39CC853.png

Many stores and Gillette online are doing deals, for about 3 weeks now, to sell this razor. Gillette UK online are back to full price but I saw a supermarket yesterday selling the razor for £13. They are trying to get this product marketed but the real profits are in the blades; £5 for 10. That is expensive, even for supermarket prices.
The packaging is definitely designed for brick and mortar stores.

$0,02 Anything Gillette made after the 70’s has only 1 design principle. Make it as cheap as possible and it show on this razor.

Fatip’s are better made than this but also shaves a lot better...

My Fatips are pieces of junk. A well made Zamak with good plating (like Edwin Jagger or Mühle) will look better, feel better (and will be more consistent), and it will last longer, because with Fatips the pins come of eventually with many of their razors (but mot many shavers use their Fatips long and often enough to notice that). Since the desaster with my FOCS, I'm done with Fatip for good.

Anything Gillette made after the 70’s has only 1 design principle. Make it as cheap as possible and it show on this razor.
Not wholly relevant with this razor. The design is an Edwin Jagger & Muhle collaboration but Gillette are using the Muhle head with a cheap uninspiring handle. It is one of the most cloned razor heads so the design speaks for itself.
Granted the razor is not a Gillette manufactured product but the blades are. It does not appeal to me though because I already have the EJ DE89 which I like using occasionally and is in my Dopp kit.
In terms of the King C Gillette beard trimming line which includes this razor, cartridges and an electric beard trimming clipper, I agree they are sourced through third party suppliers so minimum manufacturing cost to Gillette. That is the nature of retail these days and the throw away culture.

Many stores and Gillette online are doing deals, for about 3 weeks now, to sell this razor. Gillette UK online are back to full price but I saw a supermarket yesterday selling the razor for £13. They are trying to get this product marketed but the real profits are in the blades; £5 for 10. That is expensive, even for supermarket prices.
The packaging is definitely designed for brick and mortar stores.

If you are a one and done or even a 5 and done, I would agree about the blade price. Longevity wise though, I did a test way back and got 33 shaves from the KCG blade with zero tugs on my first blade. Slight tug on shave 34, got a BBS but I called it at 33 due to personal preference (My tug rule). They are also smoother and longer lasting than any blades I’ve ever used, including vintage. Only blade to dethrone my favorite vintage Platinum Plus. So far, no one has figured out if it is a rebrand out of St. Petersburg as it seems to be different from anything that has come out of that plant thus far.

Minus dropping it hard on a tile floor, the razor should last a long time. The threads are brass on the Mühle R89 (Post 2017)/KCG/Heritage. The threads are the spot of wear and cause failure on the EJ DE89 counterpart (Still zamack threads). My EJ DE89‘s zamack threads are done but the rest of the cap and baseplate are still good as new so I expect my KCG and Heritage to last much longer, in the very least 10 years based on my experience with my EJ (Without a bad drop).

As mentioned before, that is not rust on your razor but tea stains from the blade. The stains come off easily. In the future, try not to leave wet blades in the razor and avoid leaving the razor/blade in the shower. I lightly pat dry all of my blades and razors after use and have never had tea stains with any razor and blade combinations. Others dip blades in alcohol after use, just your personal preference really.

Top Bottom