What's new

NEW GILLETTE DE Razor

I'm no great fan of Gillette as a company but I'd be overjoyed to see them (seriously) back in the DE razor market simply as their corporate presence could ensure the survival, and indeed possibly flourishing, of that which we love.

I do wonder how on earth they would go about marketing such products though in light of the years they've spent aggressively insisting that cartridges are the best.....

I do wonder how on earth they would go about marketing such products though in light of the years they've spent aggressively insisting that cartridges are the best.....
There is a market for all kinds of razors so I can see them staying in the DE market if they get any traction.
The dilema is going to be how to square that with "the best a man can get" in both worlds.
Also will their Venus customers want to try the DE; we know some of them already use a DE, but not that many.

Oh my god, have you read the BS marketing?!

"the growing trend for statement beards has seen increased demand for double edge safety razors"

Because there's no way you'd wanna shave ya whole face with one right? That's what cartridges are for!

I looked it up and at least a couple walgreens not that far from here, but not the closest, has them in stock. I'll wait for reviews, but I'm not leaning toward any more DE razors.

Oh my god, have you read the BS marketing?!

"the growing trend for statement beards has seen increased demand for double edge safety razors"

Because there's no way you'd wanna shave ya whole face with one right? That's what cartridges are for!

Cartridges are listed as “Edgers” also on the new marketing.

In case anyone wants to know regarding the "made in china" about the newest DE from gillette the kcg2 they are calling it:

Thank you for getting in touch with us here at Gillette. That is a fantastic question and I'm happy to help.

Our King C Gillette Double Edge Safety Razor Handle parts are made in Germany and then are assembled in China. We provide products to more than 800 million consumers so we use our global supply chain to best serve all of our consumers throughout the world. The double-edge razors are made in Andover, MA.

We hope that this helps answer your question, Stefan. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you!

Best,

Noah
Gillette Team

So unless they're lying the parts are made in Germany.
I think when they say handle they mean the entire razor since to them theirs no razor blade in it yet

I think when they say handle they mean the entire razor since to them theirs no razor blade in it yet
I think you are correct. Notice they said the Double Edge Razors are made in Andover. I’m pretty sure that refers to the blades. To me the razor is the handle and head...but what do I know?

I’m not a fan of products from China, but in this case I was willing to make an exception to send a message to Gillette that they need to make more DE razors.
Well unless they're flat out lying, the newest razor is made in Germany. Maybe not from a big name company but Germany non the less.

In case anyone wants to know regarding the "made in china" about the newest DE from gillette the kcg2 they are calling it:

Thank you for getting in touch with us here at Gillette. That is a fantastic question and I'm happy to help.

Our King C Gillette Double Edge Safety Razor Handle parts are made in Germany and then are assembled in China. We provide products to more than 800 million consumers so we use our global supply chain to best serve all of our consumers throughout the world. The double-edge razors are made in Andover, MA.

We hope that this helps answer your question, Stefan. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you!

Best,

Noah
Gillette Team

What does this even mean? Razor partsis made in Germany but assembled in China? Once the razor parts are made, can't the shaver 'assemble' the razor in his own bedroom? Doesn't assembly just involve screwing the handle into the head? You have to ship the razor to China for that?

What does this even mean? Razor partsis made in Germany but assembled in China? Once the razor parts are made, can't the shaver 'assemble' the razor in his own bedroom? Doesn't assembly just involve screwing the handle into the head? You have to ship the razor to China for that?
Assembling can mean putting the head, handle and blades into the box. I believe that’s what they mean here.

Probably packaging box made in China.
Ship the blades and the parts (head and handle from different companies) to China and they assemble and make box and put together.

Pretty old news but both the Heritage and the KCG heads were made in Germany. The giveaway is that both have brass threads. The general consensus back then was that KCG baseplate was deliberately produced to have a concave bottom for product differentiation. Besides the brass threads being a big clue after I purchased my KCG way back, it also humorously came with a German language blade insert card. Not sure if they still do this but I found it pretty funny.

I assume the KCG head was also produced by Mühle as the R89 is the only such model In the Mühle/EJ juggernaut to be made with brass threads, well since 2017 anyway.

As mentioned previously, they initially advertised on Amazon that the “Handle” for the Heritage was made in the US but after a short time and being bugged relentlessly as it is a familiar Mühle/EJ design, they clarified that the handle was made in the US and the head was German made. Same thing here but the KCG handle is made in China. It may seem harsh but P&G Gillette and their packagers could care less if we know where every single part is produced.

The biggest news is actually these KCG blades. Incredibly smooth and long lasting. At first thought to be just a renamed current offering, it appears so far that they are in fact a new blade out of St. Petersburg. Got 33 shaves out of the first one before my first tug and other persons here on B&B have me beat. It has been actually hard trying to cycle through my Lab Blues, Yellows and Kais lately and I never thought I’d say that.

Since the Heritage and the KCG have been a successful experiment, expect a stand alone offering after things start getting back to normal around the globe.

Pretty old news but both the Heritage and the KCG heads were made in Germany. The giveaway is that both have brass threads. The general consensus back then was that KCG baseplate was deliberately produced to have a concave bottom for product differentiation. Besides the brass threads being a big clue after I purchased my KCG way back, it also humorously came with a German language blade insert card. Not sure if they still do this but I found it pretty funny.

I assume the KCG head was also produced by Mühle as the R89 is the only such model In the Mühle/EJ juggernaut to be made with brass threads, well since 2017 anyway.

As mentioned previously, they initially advertised on Amazon that the “Handle” for the Heritage was made in the US but after a short time and being bugged relentlessly as it is a familiar Mühle/EJ design, they clarified that the handle was made in the US and the head was German made. Same thing here but the KCG handle is made in China. It may seem harsh but P&G Gillette and their packagers could care less if we know where every single part is produced.

The biggest news is actually these KCG blades. Incredibly smooth and long lasting. At first thought to be just a renamed current offering, it appears so far that they are in fact a new blade out of St. Petersburg. Got 33 shaves out of the first one before my first tug and other persons here on B&B have me beat. It has been actually hard trying to cycle through my Lab Blues, Yellows and Kais lately and I never thought I’d say that.

Since the Heritage and the KCG have been a successful experiment, expect a stand alone offering after things start getting back to normal around the globe.
According to my email from gillette today, the kcg2 (walgreens) is fully made in Germany and just packaged in China and the blades are made in the USA (see above post of my response email from gillette)
Edit: handle to gillette is what we call the razor- made in Germany
Double edge razor (we call blade) made in Andover MA it says

According to my email from gillette today, the kcg2 (walgreens) is fully made in Germany and just packaged in China and the blades are made in the USA (see above post of my response email from gillette)
Edit: handle to gillette is what we call the razor- made in Germany
Double edge razor (we call blade) made in Andover MA it says

I completely understand what you are saying, but try to remember that the employees who write these replies are just asking others whom may not know for sure or may not care. These employees are not used to fielding questions about razor parts. To most of them, it would be akin to someone asking about where hair gel is made. I can tell you confidently that the KCG top cap and baseplate are German made, the handle is made in China and the blades come out of St. Petersburg. Also remember that P&G acquired Bevel so that handle style might look a little familiar to those razor owners.

I’ll add that the Gillette Heritage Inspired Razor or Heritage for short had a German made top cap and baseplate, US made handle, a case made in China and Gillette Platinum blades made in St. Petersburg. It was all put together in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Last edited:
I completely understand what you are saying, but try to remember that the employees who write these replies are just asking others whom may not know for sure or may not care. These employees are not used to fielding questions about razor parts. To most of them, it would be akin to someone asking about where hair gel is made. I can tell you confidently that the KCG top cap and baseplate are German made, the handle is made in China and the blades come out of St. Petersburg. Also remember that P&G acquired Bevel so that handle style might look a little familiar to those razor owners.

I’ll add that the Gillette Heritage Inspired Razor or Heritage for short had a German made top cap and baseplate, US made handle, a case made in China and Gillette Platinum blades made in St. Petersburg. It was all put together in Cincinnati, Ohio.
I agree. He may not know or may have been given a general answer cheat sheet.
But given his response I fell a little better.
Definitely like the heritage inspired better than the newest one.
I was happy to get an actual answer instead of a copy paste general BS type answer

I agree. He may not know or may have been given a general answer cheat sheet.
But given his response I fell a little better.
Definitely like the heritage inspired better than the newest one.
I was happy to get an actual answer instead of a copy paste general BS type answer

The Heritage came at the right time and I’m sure would have continued on into brick and mortar stores until things changed earlier this year. It is my favorite also, beautiful case.

Online sales on Amazon was just stage one, limited brick and mortar release was stage 2 with the KCG branding and I think you will see that stage 3 will be a more extensive brick and mortar release culminating in that razor that almost dropped in 2017. If it continues selling out, you’ll see a familiar face in the future, just don’t expect an adjustable, well unless P&G decides to buy Merkur.

Top Bottom