What's new

NEW GILLETTE DE Razor

The Heritage came at the right time and I’m sure would have continued on into brick and mortar stores until things changed earlier this year. It is my favorite also, beautiful case.

Online sales on Amazon was just stage one, limited brick and mortar release was stage 2 with the KCG branding and I think you will see that stage 3 will be a more extensive brick and mortar release culminating in that razor that almost dropped in 2017. If it continues selling out, you’ll see a familiar face in the future, just don’t expect an adjustable, well unless P&G decides to buy Merkur.
Well the rex seems like a good remake of the fatboy, albeit with a hefty tag.
What do you mean razor in 2017 for stage 3? First I'm hearing about it. I've been off the forum since 2015ish

Well the rex seems like a good remake of the fatboy, albeit with a hefty tag.
What do you mean razor in 2017 for stage 3? First I'm hearing about it. I've been off the forum since 2015ish

Gillette was going to drop a new Tech back in 2017 for release at AOS stores as an exclusive. They even had a poster at my local store and the manager told me it was on the way. It kept getting postponed and basically fell apart and did not materialize past the posters. You can still find pictures online of the poster here and there. I posted it a few years ago myself. The handle looked identical to the fat handle and the head was very similar but appeared larger, probably to cover the blade tabs.

Gillette was going to drop a new Tech back in 2017 for release at AOS stores as an exclusive. They even had a poster at my local store and the manager told me it was on the way. It kept getting postponed and basically fell apart and did not materialize past the posters. You can still find pictures online of the poster here and there. I posted it a few years ago myself. The handle looked identical to the fat handle and the head was very similar but appeared larger, probably to cover the blade tabs.
I thought there was only like 3 stores left according to the website. Not much of a release. That must not be the idea anymore. They close like 38 stores in 2020.

That was in 2016/2017. I think you will see the Tech they were going to release back then again if these newer releases keep selling out.

Is there really a razor blade factory in andover mass? I find this really hard to believe to be honest. Is it new? Where was that equipment before and what will they do with it if they change their minds? it would be far more sensible to ship blades from one of established factories ( St. Petersburg ) and perhaps package it at the andover site?

The assumption that razor means blade feels a bit ambiguous to me.

Is there really a razor blade factory in andover mass? I find this really hard to believe to be honest. Is it new? Where was that equipment before and what will they do with it if they change their minds? it would be far more sensible to ship blades from one of established factories ( St. Petersburg ) and perhaps package it at the andover site?
May just be like razor.
Blades made in russia but packaging made here and "assembled" in Andover lol

Reactions: Avi

The assumption that razor means blade feels a bit ambiguous to me.
Well in modern gillette terms, the handle is everything but the blade (cartridge).
That's why I made the connection

Hm.. I live in RI and I also wasn’t aware there was a Gillette production facility there... I have vintage lather cream from the Andover plant. Gillette Stadium is in Mass...

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Definitely like the heritage inspired better than the newest one.

Honestly, I ONLY like the Heritage Inspired razor and for the following reasons:

1. The German made Muhle head. I am a HUGE fan of mild razors and LOVE the Muhle R89 / EJ DE89 head design.

2. The short stubby US made handle.

3. The gorgeous looking vintage case with booklet.

The Heritage would be the perfect Fall/Christmas season gift, if available again. Fingers crossed...

Ok gents a little update.
This is what I got back today. I also sent them pictures of the box saying handle made in China and the box of blades saying made in Russia as they requested so it's not over. Still want to hear what they respond with.
But Marco you'll be happy to know they said they weren't done with the heritage inspired razor!!
Here's what they wrote today:

Thanks for following-up with us about our King C Double Razor. I apologize for the confusion and I would like to share some additional details on where this product is made.

So to answer your question about the handle, the entire part of the King C Double Edge Razor handle, including the parts you install, are made in Germany. Everything besides the blade refills are made in Germany. I double-checked where the refills are made and these are actually made in Boston. That said, none of our King C blades are made in Russia so I'm unsure as to why this is noted on your package. So that we can assist you with that, please reply to this email providing us with a screenshot of the package of your King C blade refills so that we can further investigate.

In addition, I'm happy to report that we will be continuing to make the new Heritage Razor. As you know, this is a rather new item and may not be available in retailers yet, but we are still making it. If you're having trouble finding this item in stores near you, we recommend reaching out to the store manager.

Thanks again for writing, Stefan. Feel free to drop us a note at any time.

Julia
King C Gillette Team

Need to get back in touch? Please do not change the subject line, just hit reply.This makes sure we receive your message.

If what the employee in this email said was true, someone made a huge error in advertising/packaging. Always knew the heads for both razors were German made but anyone should know that people would prefer to buy anything German made rather than made in China for that handle. Nothing political meant by this but German made has been known for quality for decades. China isn’t exactly known for quality at the present time. Gillette employees also frequent this site and others and should understand that this applies to razors also.

I’d also be surprised because the fit and finish on the KCG head is better, at least in my view than the KCG handle. I’m really not sure about the KCG blades made in Boston either. That would have been pretty big news and they would have known better than not to stick it on that box. I think it is possible they may produce DE blades again in the US in the future but they would probably come from the new facilities they are building in Cincinnati. If they go ahead with a US made razor, that would also likely come out of Cincinnati, Ohio. I wrote about this a good while ago even before the first Heritage release on Amazon but if they pull the trigger and have DE replace the plastic disposables, it would be more than feasible and would be great “Green” press for them. Carts aren’t going anywhere but DE would be an easy alternative to plastic disposables.

I knew this was coming and wrote about these small releases prior to them pulling the trigger on the Heritage. P&G approved new facilities in Ohio over a year ago and it just so happens that this location is where the Heritage was boxed and shipped from.

To be honest I would guess customer service here is confused or they are mistaking the fusion king c Gillette blades with the DE blades. Packaging would be something that one would expect to go through an extensive legal review for liability reasons.

You can see the made in Russia label on the blade package right on the Walgreens site:

regards
avi

93FA7751-8E20-4C5B-9526-15C2D63FF956.jpeg

To be honest I would guess customer service here is confused or they are mistaking the fusion king c Gillette blades with the DE blades. Packaging would be something that one would expect to go through an extensive legal review for liability reasons.

You can see the made in Russia label on the blade package right on the Walgreens site:

regards
avi

View attachment 1162893
Incan see that, but they also mentioned the heritage razor so they must know we are speaking about the DE razor.

Incan see that, but they also mentioned the heritage razor so they must know we are speaking about the DE razor.

True true. It is really awesome they are interacting on a personal level and asking for an image. Even if they end up being confused or the packaging wrong, the fact they are working in figuring it out is all one can ask for. I have a feeling we will have an answer shortly.

True true. It is really awesome they are interacting on a personal level and asking for an image. Even if they end up being confused or the packaging wrong, the fact they are working in figuring it out is all one can ask for. I have a feeling we will have an answer shortly.
I'm just surprised that they're actually having a person answered me and actually answer the exact questions I'm asking and I'm just sending a copy and paste type version of what their company and razors are about

I'm just surprised that they're actually having a person answered me and actually answer the exact questions I'm asking and I'm just sending a copy and paste type version of what their company and razors are about

when the world becomes a black mirror episode, an otherwise kafkasque multinational automated email response system becomes the ephemeral thread that humanity’s sanity holds on to ;)

Top Bottom