What's new

New Gillette Blade (Gillette Winner Stainless)

Since I am going to try the Winner Stainless tomorrow, I opened a blade to load. It says Special Steel on the blade. On one side half of the surface of the blade is yellowish with a light brown tint, like from oxidization. I guess that is they call "special steel". What do you expect for 9 rupees a pack.

Since I am going to try the Winner Stainless tomorrow, I opened a blade to load. It says Special Steel on the blade. On one side half of the surface of the blade is yellowish with a light brown tint, like from oxidization. I guess that is they call "special steel". What do you expect for 9 rupees a pack.

I've seen carbon steel blades with a yellow tint. Some kind of coating I guess. My blade order should be here in the next month or so, it's been weeks since I ordered them.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have not tried these blades yet. I was tempted to get some just for the graphics on the pack.

I shaved with it an hour ago. Compared to the Winner Platinum it is a bit sharper, but also I got a slight irritation post-shave, so I had to put on some balm instead of lotion. Overall the blades aren't bad, especially considering I paid $7.99 with free shipping. Still, for me the Gillette 365 is better, sharper and smoother.

I shaved with it an hour ago. Compared to the Winner Platinum it is a bit sharper, but also I got a slight irritation post-shave, so I had to put on some balm instead of lotion. Overall the blades aren't bad, especially considering I paid $7.99 with free shipping. Still, for me the Gillette 365 is better, sharper and smoother.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

I tried the 365s many many years ago and I don't remember them being all that good to me. In fact, I remember saying "365 because you would need one new blade every day for a year." I think I still have some left. I will have to try them again.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

I tried the 365s many many years ago and I don't remember them being all that good to me. In fact, I remember saying "365 because you would need one new blade every day for a year." I think I still have some left. I will have to try them again.
Many users don't like the 365, because they are too sharp for them, and they don't need that extra sharpness. The 365 is sharper than say the Silver Blues. For me they are perfect in mild razors like Super-Speeds or Techs.

What does HP Plant mean?

I think he refers to the Gillette plant in Baddi (Himachal Pradesh).
proxy.php

Gillette India Ltd. has two plants, the other located in Bhiwadi (Rajasthan).

The only official Gillette blades produced in India, as sold by their corporate site, are 7 O'Clocks, Gillette Wilkies and 365s. The once Indian produced Goal blades are now made in Shangai. No mention of Winner blades on the Indian corporate site.

Still, it is confirmed that at least the Winner "Platinum" are manufactured by Gillette at the Baddi plant. Are they Gillette Wilkinson rebranded? It could be and I trust @ivan_101 judgement:
winnerplat.jpg

The statement about Winner Stainless Steel are sub-contracted to Vertice makes me scratch my head. Unfortunately I couldn't find any picture of the packaging where it states the manufacturer. Vertice is located in the Emirates and considering there's a lot of Indian immigrants in Dubai it would have sense to market a razor blade endorsed by an Indian national hero.
Obviously Emirates residents shave with solid gold Fusion razors.

Many users don't like the 365, because they are too sharp for them, and they don't need that extra sharpness. The 365 is sharper than say the Silver Blues. For me they are perfect in mild razors like Super-Speeds or Techs.

How sharp is the 365 in comparison to the 7 Black?

I think I might buy some 365's on your following observations, I use Techs most of the time.

Vertice Global Private Ltd, interesting...
They produce the "One" line in their own plant in India:
a stainless steel blade for the domestic market and a platinum-nitrite coated blade for export:
vertice-04.png

The Winner Stainless steel could likely be the "One" stainless steel variant rebranded.

How sharp is the 365 in comparison to the 7 Black?

I think I might buy some 365's on your following observations, I use Techs most of the time.
Significantly sharper. The 7 o'clock black I use onLy in very aggressive razors. Otherwise the shave is pretty bad and far from BBS. So a scale of sharpness would be:
7 o'clock black - - > Silver Blue - - > 365

Vertice Global Private Ltd, interesting...
They produce the "One" line in their own plant in India:
a stainless steel blade for the domestic market and a platinum-nitrite coated blade for export:
View attachment 1207094
The Winner Stainless steel could likely be the "One" stainless steel variant rebranded.
....or it could be a different blade than their own models, manufactured to Gillette's specifications.

....or it could be a different blade than their own models, manufactured to Gillette's specifications.

To make things a little more confusing, I read Gillette's Shanghai plant manufactures certain lines and they are shipped over to Vietnam to be packaged and distributed from there, maybe a similar thing applies for the Winner Stainless?

Significantly sharper. The 7 o'clock black I use onLy in very aggressive razors. Otherwise the shave is pretty bad and far from BBS. So a scale of sharpness would be:
7 o'clock black - - > Silver Blue - - > 365

Thanks for the info. Your observation illustrates the YMMV issue for blades, I find the 7 Black to be a very sharp blade!
The 365's sound like they'd be up my street though, and my blade collection will creep over the 2,000 mark.... (Yeah, I know I need some more blades...)

Of course you need more blades. :biggrin1:
Don't be so sure about the 365 though. I have read many users' comments here that say it is a low quality blade, crap etc. I have read the same about the 7 o'clock Permasharp many times.

To make things a little more confusing, I read Gillette's Shanghai plant manufactures certain lines and they are shipped over to Vietnam to be packaged and distributed from there, maybe a similar thing applies for the Winner Stainless?

Thanks for the info. Your observation illustrates the YMMV issue for blades, I find the 7 Black to be a very sharp blade!
The 365's sound like they'd be up my street though, and my blade collection will creep over the 2,000 mark.... (Yeah, I know I need some more blades...)

I believe the Shanghai plant manufactures the Super Thins and the Super Thin Platinums (amongst a lot of other blades). The Super Thins are distributed in Thailand and the Super Thin Platinums are distributed in Vietnam (there seems to be different opinions on whether or not these are the same or slightly different blades).

Whereas the Winner Stainless appear to be manufactured by Vertice Global and then marketed by Gillette India. It's a bit of a strange one given Gillette have their own plant in India.

I believe the Shanghai plant manufactures the Super Thins and the Super Thin Platinums (amongst a lot of other blades). The Super Thins are distributed in Thailand and the Super Thin Platinums are distributed in Vietnam (there seems to be different opinions on whether or not these are the same or slightly different blades).

Whereas the Winner Stainless appear to be manufactured by Vertice Global and then marketed by Gillette India. It's a bit of a strange one given Gillette have their own plant in India.
You mean they have 2 plants of their own in India

You mean they have 2 plants of their own in India :biggrin1:

You mean they have 2 plants of their own in India :biggrin1:

That makes the decision to out source the Winner blades even stranger! I'm not aware of any other Gillette blades that are outsourced? (I read that their China plants are both Joint Ventures; one with Shanghai Razor Blade Factory and one with Shenmei Daily Use Products Ltd; so still within the Gillette Group of companies)

That makes the decision to out source the Winner blades even stranger! I'm not aware of any other Gillette blades that are outsourced? (I read that their China plants are both Joint Ventures; one with Shanghai Razor Blade Factory and one with Shenmei Daily Use Products Ltd; so still within the Gillette Group of companies)

Well there is a first time for everything. The Winner Stainless are not bad, not special either.

Top Bottom