What's new

New Gillette 2 blades cart: The Gillette Skinguard!

Well, I pulled the trigger on a Gillette Skinguard while I was at Walmart today. I got the razor with 2 cartridges for around 8 bucks and I picked up a 4 pack of refills for around 15 bucks. Shaved tonight using some Williams super lathered with Ingrams. I'm impressed. My skin is sensitive to dyes, fragrances, harsh chemicals, the wind and sun, shaving, and the list goes on and on. I am prone to ingrown hairs. I usually find shaving to be uncomfortable especially by the 2nd pass. Unfortunately 1 pass doesn't usually give a close enough shave. My shave tonight with the Skinguard was pleasant and comfortable through both passes. However, I did have to go over a couple of spots a few times. More so than I usually do with any other cartridge razor. I even went against the grain on my neck which is something I never do. I splashed some Stetson a.s. on and braced myself for the burn and to my surprise, there was none. My entire shave was comfortable. The big test will be over the next few days to see how many ingrown hairs I get. :thumbup1:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The Skinguard is a great shave. It's not as close as some and it's not designed to be. It will give you a DFS with no irritation. I used the Skinguard today, but put the cart on a Fusion handle that vibrates. While not making the shave any closer, I felt it got the shave as close as it could be with less buffing. But I don't think one has to worry about buffing with this razor anyway. If you end up going with this, you might try the vibrating handle down the road.

Here was my shave report from earlier today.

The Skinguard is a great shave. It's not as close as some and it's not designed to be. It will give you a DFS with no irritation. I used the Skinguard today, but put the cart on a Fusion handle that vibrates. While not making the shave any closer, I felt it got the shave as close as it could be with less buffing. But I don't think one has to worry about buffing with this razor anyway. If you end up going with this, you might try the vibrating handle down the road.

Here was my shave report from earlier today.
I did the same thing for a head shave....probably one of my best shaves ever. The vibration creates some weird acoustics in the cranium....feels weird, but works. Today I used it on the face....was good not sure any better than the non battery handle.....still good though.....

Well, usually the day after I shave is when I start noticing ingrown hairs and so far today I haven't seen or felt any pop up yet. If I still don't have any signs of them by tomorrow then the Skinguard will be a keeper.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I will be surprised if you get any.

Previously, I think I mentioned Dorco and Bic to you, but I don't think I read (at that time) about your propensity for in grown hairs. The Bic and Dorco 3 blade would be more likely to trouble you in that regard, probably the Bic more than the Dorco.

If the Skin Guard works for you, run with it and don't look back.

Well, usually the day after I shave is when I start noticing ingrown hairs and so far today I haven't seen or felt any pop up yet. If I still don't have any signs of them by tomorrow then the Skinguard will be a keeper.

I (with a long history of shaving irritation) stuck with the skin guard for a few weeks to see. I still got a few ingrowns but it was significantly less then any other cart I've used and I was able to shave ATG which I can't do with even most single blades. The reason I stopped using it is because it caused weird clusters of small white bumps on the sides of my chin (the area that makes a handlebar moustache more then just a Chevron). The only other time this happened to me out of 30+ DEs/SEs, 10+ carts, and 5+ electrics was when I chased daily BBS with an electric or if I didn't take a break in between using the PAA BOCS. The only think I can think is pulling... Electrics grab and tug, the PAA Boca has such poor blade rigidity that it chatters and grabs hair, and the skinguard bar on the carts also catch and grab my hair.

So apparently the Skinguard isn't perfect. Two days after the 1st shave I got 2 ingrowns which is still significantly less than usual. I shaved with it again tonight. I'm finding that I almost need a 3rd pass and some touch up in spots because the razor is so mild. I've yet to nick myself with it or get any razor burn or discomfort. We'll see how many ingrowns the 2nd shave yields. Both shaves were pretty good. They are about as close as I can get with any cartridge razor. For some reason I'm having a little trouble getting a really close shave on my neck. I'm gonna keep using it the rest of the week and see it how it goes.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
So apparently the Skinguard isn't perfect. Two days after the 1st shave I got 2 ingrowns which is still significantly less than usual. I shaved with it again tonight. I'm finding that I almost need a 3rd pass and some touch up in spots because the razor is so mild. I've yet to nick myself with it or get any razor burn or discomfort. We'll see how many ingrowns the 2nd shave yields. Both shaves were pretty good. They are about as close as I can get with any cartridge razor. For some reason I'm having a little trouble getting a really close shave on my neck. I'm gonna keep using it the rest of the week and see it how it goes.

I think it takes a bit for our skin to adjust to any razor, give it a bit of time. I have said in other posts, that no razor has been better for my neck hair which grows at a very acute angle, i.e., close to the skin than the Bic razors. You might pick up any of the 2,3,4 blade models and give one a try on your neck if the Skin Guard is not close enough.

In fact I'd say the optimum shave system may be more than one razor. I've been playing with Dorco pace 3 for 1st pass and the Pace 7 for pass 2.

That wast the biggest downfall for me with the skinguard, my neck! I get a closer shave going wtg with a single blade then atg with the skin guard. The Philips Norelco oneblade actually gives a closer shave then the skinguard for me and significantly quicker. I really want to like the skinguard and I appreciate what Gillette is doing here but it's just not for me.

I used one cart 11 shaves BUT the last 2 were irritating..... It is the ONLY razor I can use in the lower neck, all others end up with multiple ingrowns..... w this one...I can go in all directions

I (with a long history of shaving irritation) stuck with the skin guard for a few weeks to see. I still got a few ingrowns but it was significantly less then any other cart I've used and I was able to shave ATG which I can't do with even most single blades. The reason I stopped using it is because it caused weird clusters of small white bumps on the sides of my chin (the area that makes a handlebar moustache more then just a Chevron). The only other time this happened to me out of 30+ DEs/SEs, 10+ carts, and 5+ electrics was when I chased daily BBS with an electric or if I didn't take a break in between using the PAA BOCS. The only think I can think is pulling... Electrics grab and tug, the PAA Boca has such poor blade rigidity that it chatters and grabs hair, and the skinguard bar on the carts also catch and grab my hair.
Maybe use alum? hope you don't buff

A small tip after the first 6 uses: the device is more effective if you do not use shaving foam. The double lubricating band does its job well and the foam more damaging. It is enough to moisten the beard with warm water well, and shaving becomes a pleasure ...

A small tip after the first 6 uses: the device is more effective if you do not use shaving foam. The double lubricating band does its job well and the foam more damaging. It is enough to moisten the beard with warm water well, and shaving becomes a pleasure ...
Foam? what type of foam do you use?

IMG_20190720_000617.jpg
Dorco twin on a Gillette Atra handle 1. Felt good. Dorco is NOT the same as GD carts....they may be made at the same place but GD is bulky, has a different angle and for me it does NOT shave well. These Dorco's are OK.

Sry uploaded the wrong pic before.
This (power) SkinGuard is causing a fair amount of irritation in the neck. Lost count: 4-7 neck shaves

Attachments

• IMG_20190720_022809.jpg
    IMG_20190720_022809.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
Pulled the trigger on this as Gillette was having a sale handle + 4 carts for 12.50 shipped. Shave like a dream except for the goo strip is a bit annoying, but that hopefully will wear off. Actually used my pivoting Fusion handle with it since it has a bit more weight. Two pass shave WTG/ATG with Southern Witchcraft Druantia and got a nice DFS with no weepers at all.

View attachment 1000450 Dorco twin on a Gillette Atra handle 1. Felt good. Dorco is NOT the same as GD carts....they may be made at the same place but GD is bulky, has a different angle and for me it does NOT shave well. These Dorco's are OK.

I use these same carts except I popped out the top blade with tweezers, I chose the top blade since I knew it wouldn't damage the sharp end trying pull it out, it shaves very smooth and comfortable

Top Bottom