What's new

New Gillette 2 blades cart: The Gillette Skinguard!

Sooner or later the new Gillette invention will be a normal DE razor re-invented by their specialized dermatologists. I'm ahead of them. I just picked up a 1932 brass Gillette New at a flea market for $3 and it works great with Gillette Russian blades.
Bevel beat you to it.

Remove some metal, replace with rubber and goo, use handles we already have. I'd bet that at least two million dollars monthly for a year or more went into this research! :a6:

Maybe one day somebody will be smart enough to set a couple people down with a laptop, a pot of coffee and an afternoon read threads on here? Maybe they'll come up with 'the perfect' razor after all and it wont cost as much as a cheap mortgage!?

I am so tempted to try this one only because it's new and it only has 2 blades. I always liked the Trac II but I don't usually like razor heads that pivot. It doesn't cost much at least.

Gillette Launches SkinGuard, A Unique Razor Clinically Proven for Sensitive Skin

proxy.php

proxy.php

So it seems Gillette's latest innovation is removing blades from razors.
When everybody told you 5 blades (or 6 or 7) are better than one, Gillette introduces
the new iteration of "The best a man can get".

proxy.php

What do you think about it?
I personally think it will work great for me, but what do I know?
This razor is so awesome. Got mine in the mail yesterday after ordering it online from RiteAid. Lathered up and gave it one pass WTG and was almost BBS and with no irritation. Blades simply glided so smoothly that it felt almost like nothing was happening but I could see the stubble leaving my face and collecting in the cream out of the back of the cartridge. Highly recommended!!!

This razor is so awesome. Got mine in the mail yesterday after ordering it online from RiteAid. Lathered up and gave it one pass WTG and was almost BBS and with no irritation. Blades simply glided so smoothly that it felt almost like nothing was happening but I could see the stubble leaving my face and collecting in the cream out of the back of the cartridge. Highly recommended!!!

Great to know!

Great to know!
Now keep in mind, I did hold a very wet towel to my face for 2 minutes prior and then let my shave lather sit (Cremo original) sit for about a minute prior to shaving. As much as I love this razor, prep is just as important as the tools one will use. That being said, if you properly prep for sensitive skin and shave WTG with this razor I can ensure a clean and irritation-free shave!

I couldn't resist, I had to try it. Rite aid is doing 30% off right now so I got 1 handle with 1 blade plus 4 extra blades for around $20 and about $6 shipping. I've been using a Braun series 9 for a few months and a series 7 for a while before that. I'm noticing very premature foil wear due to head shaving (Braun says they aren't intended for this, it will work of course but go through foils and cleaning solution quicker) so I've gone back to blade experiments. If these skinguard refills average around the current $20 per 4 and each cart last an average of 2 weeks (modern Gillette carts reported by users at 1-3 weeks of continuous use) then we are talking $10 a month in average blade cost. For me, a guy with a long history of skin irritation who basically gave up on "traditional shaving" due to no change in problems after several years, this new system could really be a game changer even if it only performs to half of it's advertised ability. I would pay $10 a month for quick, reliable, irritation free shaves with no concern what so ever. I'm past novelty and nostalgia... I want a quality shave that doesn't make my skin look like Mars the next day and I really have high hopes for this.

So for anyone willing to shell out a few bucks, rite aid online has 30% off right now. Also, the official Gillette website has a sign up for free samples.

I'll post up with my results once my order arrives.

I couldn't resist, I had to try it. Rite aid is doing 30% off right now so I got 1 handle with 1 blade plus 4 extra blades for around $20 and about $6 shipping. I've been using a Braun series 9 for a few months and a series 7 for a while before that. I'm noticing very premature foil wear due to head shaving (Braun says they aren't intended for this, it will work of course but go through foils and cleaning solution quicker) so I've gone back to blade experiments. If these skinguard refills average around the current $20 per 4 and each cart last an average of 2 weeks (modern Gillette carts reported by users at 1-3 weeks of continuous use) then we are talking $10 a month in average blade cost. For me, a guy with a long history of skin irritation who basically gave up on "traditional shaving" due to no change in problems after several years, this new system could really be a game changer even if it only performs to half of it's advertised ability. I would pay $10 a month for quick, reliable, irritation free shaves with no concern what so ever. I'm past novelty and nostalgia... I want a quality shave that doesn't make my skin look like Mars the next day and I really have high hopes for this.

So for anyone willing to shell out a few bucks, rite aid online has 30% off right now. Also, the official Gillette website has a sign up for free samples.

I'll post up with my results once my order arrives.
I will need to borrow the razor every other weekend. Happy New Year from Tampa,Fl

71479E98-52FE-450A-83B2-8A2E951A6990.jpeg
0B05AE75-FAC7-4F6F-9FB1-E806499B291E.jpeg
E873D9CC-4A24-4CB1-8B67-5C3D3579BAF1.jpeg

Gillette’s finest offering to date. Amazing razor. As @jmane27 says above it feels like nothing is cutting but the whiskers just fall off...with (very important) the proper wet shaving prep we know and use with our DE/SE’s.

The Skinguard was extremely well thought out and tested. The two blades are spaced beautifully apart and yes, for me in 3 uses, it eliminates need for either the Sensor or Fusion offerings.

Does it shave as close and do I like this new Skinguard as much as my RAW-10, Timeless, Blackbird or Karve? Yes and yes. The Skinguard provides a better BBS. Still love my DE’s as well!

View attachment 939840 View attachment 939837 View attachment 939839

Gillette’s finest offering to date. Amazing razor. As @jmane27 says above it feels like nothing is cutting but the whiskers just fall off...with (very important) the proper wet shaving prep we know and use with our DE/SE’s.

The Skinguard was extremely well thought out and tested. The two blades are spaced beautifully apart and yes, for me in 3 uses, it eliminates need for either the Sensor or Fusion offerings.

Does it shave as close and do I like this new Skinguard as much as my RAW-10, Timeless, Blackbird or Karve? Yes and yes. The Skinguard provides a better BBS. Still love my DE’s as well!

Promising an detailed review, thanks! The funny part is... No one here knocks the quality of Gillette blades. In fact you can read posts around this forum from the most die hard of anti cart people who will tell you the main reason they don't use say a mach 3 or fusion is the cost and irritation. Yes these refills are pricey compared to DE blades or disposables however I only get 2-3 shaves from a de blade or a disposable. Gillette says up to 4 weeks, most people report 2-3 weeks, so if I get even close to two weeks on one cart then I'm in the same ball park cost per shave as my preferred de blades or disposables. How's the top trimmer blade work for you? It seems like a helpful tool however when I head shave I always rest my pinky on the top of the razor (hold it backwards in my hand) and I forsee a pinky cut or two before I remember it's there.

Hmm... I may have to shave my beard off now haha.

Top trimmer is perfect for under the nose. Head shave later today. Also once it gets going there will be refills available on eBay. That always brings the price down a bit. Great razor. No need for 5 Fusion blades anymore. Those could irritate on back to back days.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I just sent an email to Gillette asking if the sample offer will be made available to Canadians; the product is not even listed on their .ca website.

I love my Gillette Sensor/SensorExcel.
I hope this performs even better.
If so: I'll probably become a repeat customer and finally have some more respect for modern-day Gillette.
I ordered SkinGuard cartridges to use on my vibrating, swiveling, and tilting Fusion ProShield Razor handles.
I also requested samples on Gillette's website.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I received a reply from Gillette Canada where I asked if Canadians would be able to get a sample like in the US. They may have the SkinGuard listed in April, but do not send product out to "testers."

I received a reply from Gillette Canada where I asked if Canadians would be able to get a sample like in the US. They may have the SkinGuard listed in April, but do not send product out to "testers."

If you have any friends on the US side of the border maybe you can order online, have sent to their house, and meet up with them for dinner?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I was actually more curious about whether Gillette Canada would provide us canucks with the same sample offer that Gillette US offers its citizens.

Top Bottom