What's new

New from Above the Tie

We are now offering our very popular Windsor Razor in a new Satin finish. This great shaver is available at a lower cost than the polished versions. Take a ride on the Windsor line. You will be glad you did. The Windsor series, our best DE's yet!
Link below.
abovethetie.com/collections/windsor-satin-stainless/products/windsor-ssr1-satin-stainless-steel-safety-razor

Above The Tie
Retail Company

Wow! That price is a real shock. It is the same as your original stainless steel line (which I now see dropped in price). No wonder you heavily discounted those this past week. Now if we can get a Windsor OC and Slant. ;-)

Wow! That price is a real shock. It is the same as your original stainless steel line (which I now see dropped in price). No wonder you heavily discounted those this past week. Now if we can get a Windsor OC and Slant. ;-)
We are working to expand the Windsor line. I talked to the machine shop this evening about migrating the SE1 and the Slant S1 to the Windsor format. What does that mean? It means the Slant will have to be lengthened on each end 1/2 mm to cover the blade tabs. Then reduce the blade exposure for more rigidity in the blade. This results in an even smother shave. Lastly, redesign the shave ports to match the Windsor line. The SE1 will only have to have the shave ports redone so it will likely come on line next. You will likely see these additions early 2019.

We are working to expand the Windsor line. I talked to the machine shop this evening about migrating the SE1 and the Slant S1 to the Windsor format. What does that mean? It means the Slant will have to be lengthened on each end 1/2 mm to cover the blade tabs. Then reduce the blade exposure for more rigidity in the blade. This results in an even smother shave. Lastly, redesign the shave ports to match the Windsor line. The SE1 will only have to have the shave ports redone so it will likely come on line next. You will likely see these additions early 2019.
Looking forward to it (I think). After all, it did take me a year to get a S1 base plate to go with my S2 head. Oh well, hoping for a big tax refund. ;-)

Hey Stan, I love my R2, but this new finish could get me to finally try a Windsor. Do you think there could ever be an open comb Windsor?

I love my M2, how does the Windsor line differ from the Atlas series?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The head and cap look like evolutions of the original ATT design. Both are wider so that they cover the blade tabs. Then, the cap is also wider in the other direction (from one cutting edge to the other) so that less of the blade is exposed past the cap. This second change is supposed to support the blade better, and it might, since I have seen reviews stating that it does indeed shave a bit more smoothly than the original design. I would think that also making the raised center portion of the base plate wider would probably also increase smoothness, but there is no mention of that area being different. I have always liked my ATT, so if the Windsor is even a small bit improved it must be an excellent razor. The other difference is the availability of a polished finish. You can't get that on the original design, which at this time is still available. Also, so far there is only one handle, but lots of handles will fit it, including original ATT handles. The Windsor handle is a stainless version of the Calypso handle, which is the size of a Kronos, but with barber pole knurling like an Atlas.

Hey Stan, I love my R2, but this new finish could get me to finally try a Windsor. Do you think there could ever be an open comb Windsor?
Perhaps in time but for how we will focus on migrating the SE1 and our Slant to the Windsor platform.

The head and cap look like evolutions of the original ATT design. Both are wider so that they cover the blade tabs. Then, the cap is also wider in the other direction (from one cutting edge to the other) so that less of the blade is exposed past the cap. This second change is supposed to support the blade better, and it might, since I have seen reviews stating that it does indeed shave a bit more smoothly than the original design. I would think that also making the raised center portion of the base plate wider would probably also increase smoothness, but there is no mention of that area being different. I have always liked my ATT, so if the Windsor is even a small bit improved it must be an excellent razor. The other difference is the availability of a polished finish. You can't get that on the original design, which at this time is still available. Also, so far there is only one handle, but lots of handles will fit it, including original ATT handles. The Windsor handle is a stainless version of the Calypso handle, which is the size of a Kronos, but with barber pole knurling like an Atlas.
Thank you so much for your explanation!!! After the holidays it seems I will need to save for my next purchase!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Some have asked where have your R1,H1 and M1 razors gone? The answer, no where. They have migrated to our new Windsor razor platform. Our Windsor razor line includes the highly polished Stainless and Copper versions. That have become so popular. Now our newest offering is our Satin Windsor that retails for the same price as our original Stainless. Check them out now. Same great razor, lower cost.
abovethetie.com/collections/windsor-satin-stainless

Above The Tie
Retail Company

The Satin finish is less prone to scratches and is easier to hold than a glossy surface. Some believe a satin finish glides better than a glossy finish due to less cling. However, with a good lather I doubt it really makes that much difference.

A polished Atlas handle for the polished Windsors would be a nice option. I know it's only a bit shorter than the current Windsor handle, but I've always preferred it to my Kronos which is similar in size to the Windsor.

So, Stan, have you discontinued the original stainless steel DE razors (Ms, Rs, Hs and Ss)? I don't see them on the ATT Web site.

Not complaining, just asking. The Windsors look great; protection from blade tabs is a nice feature; and pricing seems reasonable. But they're heavier than the originals, and, from what you've said, they shave differently too.

So, Stan, have you discontinued the original stainless steel DE razors (Ms, Rs, Hs and Ss)? I don't see them on the ATT Web site.

Not complaining, just asking. The Windsors look great; protection from blade tabs is a nice feature; and pricing seems reasonable. But they're heavier than the originals, and, from what you've said, they shave differently too.
Stan mentioned that previously (see #10 on this page). M, R, and H ONES (straight bar) are now updated to be Windsors with the satin (brushed) finish. They are the same price as the original stainless ATT's. Unfortunately if you want an open comb DE you can only get a base plate. Go to the word Classic at the top of their web page and when the choices drop down, click on base plates. Then you will see M2, R2, and H2, and others. The old cap is no longer shown on the website. I imagine the Windsor cap will fit, but it will not look good because it is longer and will hang over past the side edges of the plate. I am hoping that this means that an open comb Windsor is coming in the future. People have been kind of hammering Stan for that option (me included, sorry Stan). I am also hoping for a shorter, polished handle the size of the original Atlas handle.

Last edited:
Stan mentioned that previously (see #10 on this page). M, R, and H ONES (straight bar) are now updated to be Windsors with the satin (brushed) finish. They are the same price as the original stainless ATT's. Unfortunately if you want an open comb DE you can only get a base plate. Go to the word Classic at the top of their web page and when the choices drop down, click on base plates. Then you will see M2, R2, and H2, and others. The old cap is no longer shown on the website. I imagine the Windsor cap will fit, but it will not look good because it is longer and will hang over past the side edges of the plate. I am hoping that this means that an open comb Windsor is coming in the future. People have been kind of hammering Stan for that option (me included, sorry Stan). I am also hoping for a shorter, polished handle the size of the original Atlas handle.

In time we get to the open combs in the Windsor format. This process takes time and we are trying to keep the transition as painless for our customers as we can. The next Windsor addition you will see will be the SE1 (single edge) head. This is a popular razor and we wanted to get it back on the site again soon. Look for it to appear at the end of January. We are also working on the Slant as well. Look for the Slant in February.
Many have asked about the Atlas, Kronos and Colossus. It is true they have been discontinued. However, don’t be shocked if one of them reappears as a special limited fun in 2019. Perhaps a Kronos Slant in Bronze or perhaps a Colossus SE1 in Titanium.
We will try to keep our offerings fresh.

Top Bottom