What's new

New French Razor: Le Maurice

The Le Maurice feels a bit like it is tugging on my hairs (even using a Kai blade) but, as I say, it has also been extremely gentle on my skin
By the sound of it, this would have to have less blade exposure than the Blutt. If I am picturing two razors with similar head geometry(Tech) in my head, and the same gap, the one with lower blade exposure would a shallower shaving angle. I don't know how many degrees that would be or how much it would take to make a difference, but I have gotten that same experience with Techs if I let the angle slip toward the cap. The Tech has a large safety bar area to displace skin and both the Blutt and the Le Maurice appear to be minimalist, but I don't know if that would affect things. The only other thing I can think of is razors that I have used that have more blade reveal are more prone to tugging when the angle is too far off.

By the sound of it, this would have to have less blade exposure than the Blutt. If I am picturing two razors with similar head geometry(Tech) in my head, and the same gap, the one with lower blade exposure would a shallower shaving angle. I don't know how many degrees that would be or how much it would take to make a difference, but I have gotten that same experience with Techs if I let the angle slip toward the cap. The Tech has a large safety bar area to displace skin and both the Blutt and the Le Maurice appear to be minimalist, but I don't know if that would affect things. The only other thing I can think of is razors that I have used that have more blade reveal are more prone to tugging when the angle is too far off.
If my impressions are not misleading me, I would say the Le Maurice has less blade exposure and definitely a narrower effective angle than the Blutt 1.20.

... I installed the one time used Feather blade from the previous shave, whipped up some Melange d’agrumes by Ethos for a full bodied and gorgeous lather. This stuff never disappoints in giving a perfect barrier for the skin & steel to meet. T…
apologies for a bit of thread derail. @GlazedBoker How would you compare the Melange vegan creme base with the Ethos standard or F base soap? I believe I have seen you post other Ethos soaps. If not, then please disregard.

If my impressions are not misleading me, I would say the Le Maurice has less blade exposure and definitely a narrower effective angle than the Blutt 1.20.
I don't mean to drag this out, so just ignore me if it's getting annoying...

We know many of these modern razors are using the Tech as a starting point and some(Wolfman) are so evolved at this point that it is hard to see the Tech in them. I wonder if the Blutt is starting from a more evolved place that has taken some of the downsides of the Tech out of the design? I don't remember what his first gap was, maybe he figured something out or maybe simply getting into positive blade exposure did the trick? Maybe with the Le Maurice, he went for the gap he wanted first and pushed the safety bar out to reduce blade exposure and that didn't work as holistically as some other designs? I still marvel at the WR2, it's such a refined design that just happens to have a larger gap than most other razors without much downside.

I don't mean to drag this out, so just ignore me if it's getting annoying...

We know many of these modern razors are using the Tech as a starting point and some(Wolfman) are so evolved at this point that it is hard to see the Tech in them. I wonder if the Blutt is starting from a more evolved place that has taken some of the downsides of the Tech out of the design? I don't remember what his first gap was, maybe he figured something out or maybe simply getting into positive blade exposure did the trick? Maybe with the Le Maurice, he went for the gap he wanted first and pushed the safety bar out to reduce blade exposure and that didn't work as holistically as some other designs? I still marvel at the WR2, it's such a refined design that just happens to have a larger gap than most other razors without much downside.
It never gets annoying - keep it coming.

I don’t want to jump to any conclusions about the Le Maurice 1.2 - so far I’m the only person I’ve seen to mention any tugginess. I could perhaps have had a dud blade but I doubt it, since I got a very gentle shave.

I believe the Blutt launched with 0.67, 0.86, and 0.99 plates. They added the 1.20 plate later (as they often seem to do when enthusiasts like us cry out for a more efficient option). That was still in the course of the first release, before v1 sold out.

I don’t have enough razor wisdom to know which razors are evolved from the Tech and which aren’t. The Wolfman WR2 has those ugly, useless corner posts from the Tech, so that’s an obvious cue. Otherwise I don’t see what the similarities are - even the mildest WR2 is designed as a very high gap razor. Maybe it’s just me but I think the WR2 design does have drawbacks - aside from the fact that my favourite Kai blades do not fit - it is rough and bitey unless you learn a special technique of using a very steep angle and a featherlight touch (at least that’s how I found it). I would say the WR2 is very unconventional, even now. It was far from a natural razor for me and took some time to figure out.

Whatever the case is with current razor design, it certainly strikes me that we are seeing multiple new razors with exceptional combinations of efficiency and smoothness, including the Le Maurice, and many of these coming from people who never designed a razor before. Somehow they have all figured something out that wasn’t known a few years ago. Or maybe they are just doing more testing with plastic mock-ups and iterating their designs.

My Le Maurice 1.2 arrived last week and I’ve had a few shaves. I got the stainless steel, matte finish, scalloped safety bar, with the #4 long and thin, solid handle option.

The bottom line is that it gives me close shaves with no irritation and it is a very good razor. I would recommend it as a very good choice, but there are also razors that I like a little more. I am going to compare with the Blutt 1.20, which is rather similar in looks and intention, and is comparable enough on price - the Blutt is €245 and the Le Maurice is €220. I consider the Blutt 1.20 as the current benchmark for this style of medium-high efficiency razor.

The Le Maurice 1.2 is not as efficient as the Blutt 1.20 - my shaves don’t last as long and I have to buff more to get a fully close shave. It doesn’t feel as clean and smooth as the Blutt to me when I shave, although it somehow seems to be gentler to my skin than the Blutt even though I buff more with the Le Maurice. The Le Maurice feels a bit like it is tugging on my hairs (even using a Kai blade) but, as I say, it has also been extremely gentle on my skin, and that gentleness (even if it doesn’t feel quite as gentle) seems to be the notable strength of this razor. The finish and manufacturing of the Blutt are a bit more refined, though the Le Maurice is still pretty good. The Le Maurice stand is very well fitted - my razor slots into the stand with a really satisfying, almost military ‘snick’ - which indicates some very good machining precision. The #4 (long/solid) handle had good grip and the razor feels well balanced and good to hold. I like the way the head looks with the deep curve of the top cap echoed on the bottom of the base plate.

I think the Le Maurice 1.2 is more comparable to the Blutt 0.99 plate in efficiency, but the Le Maurice is gentler (though, as I say, perhaps doesn’t feel gentler). I think I might prefer the Le Maurice slightly over the Blutt 0.99, or consider them about equal overall. The tugging and slightly less smooth feel of the Le Maurice is the downside, but the Le Maurice is gentler on my skin and it is probably about equal in efficiency. As I’ve said before, I felt the Blutt 0.99 wasn’t as good as the 1.20 - not as efficient but not noticeably smoother.

Maybe a Le Maurice 1.4 plate would be closer to my preferences, though you can never know until you try, and I wouldn’t assume it would be as efficient as the Blutt and that it would still retain most of the notable gentleness that the Le Maurice 1.2 has.

It is no criticism of the Le Maurice to say I like the Blutt 1.20 more - or that I get as long-lasting a shave from my Karve Overlander, but more easily and with a more pleasant face feel. Those razors are the absolute best of the best, in my opinion. I still like the Le Maurice much better than most of my razors and it is one of the very good ones. The standout thing about the Le Maurice, for me - and the reason to consider it in a competitive field of modern razors - is the excellent gentleness on the skin, which is up there close to the Overlander. If you don’t like the Overlander’s looks then the Le Maurice 1.2 is a viable alternative (although the Overlander feels better to use, to me, and is less expensive). If you don’t need the extra efficiency of the Blutt 1.20 then I think the Le Maurice is noticeably kinder to my skin than either the Blutt 1.20 or 0.99 plates. The main negative of the Le Maurice for me is this feeling of tugginess that I get, and I am curious whether others also experience this.

That’s how I experience it, anyway. Don’t know how well my thoughts resonate with others who have used these razors. My mileage might vary, and so might yours.

View attachment 1516933
Thanks Mr Shavington for that great writeup. That's a very good looking grooved SB you have there. I must admit, it was a little struggle to decide which razor head to get, but in the end, my experience with the LUPO and even the iKON B1 convinced me that I wanted a dual comb. Haha. Call me greedy, wanting to have both heads in one.

But your assessment that the SB side is a little less efficient than the Blutt is very accurate indeed. I now use almost exclusively the OC side (after testing out both sides, SB was good but OC won my heart). With the OC, it gave me about the same level of efficiency as the Blutt while still being very gentle.

I didn't get much noticeable tug, but I did ask Augustin to ship me a head that ISN'T sand blasted. Maybe that was one of the contributing factors? I wouldn't recommend most folk to ask for a "as machined" head unless you are prepared for some tool marks on the underside of the cap. Nevertheless, it's a super enjoyable razor and definitely deserves it's place next to the Blutt and Carbon CX 316 for me.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Mr. Shavington very interesting thoughts about the WR2 head!
The Yaqi clone is growing on me, I think it's a good daily shaver as it is so mild. The harsh qualities materialize with a thick beard, so despite the huge gap it doesn't seem a design for a thick beard, it isn't aggressive as one could assume either. The correlation of gap and aggression is only good when comparing razors of similar or identical design.
I had to get used to it for getting an easy BBS with it, DFS+ range was a given, but getting more right away required some practice.
I just don't know how much like a WR2 it truly is. I noticed that I love the Wolfman clone designs very, very much in general.

I also agree to your final observation, @ClumsyBull and me shared the same sentiment already several times regarding many new models. I think it is related to strong clamping and where to do that. Most don't have much unsupported blade when seen from above.

apologies for a bit of thread derail. @GlazedBoker How would you compare the Melange vegan creme base with the Ethos standard or F base soap? I believe I have seen you post other Ethos soaps. If not, then please disregard.
Unfortunately, I can not answer that question with any sort of subjectivity or knowledge as I've never used any of the vegan based shave soap products that Ethos Grooming produces. The Regular and F (Creme & Firm bases, respectively) are nearly identical in performance and post shave qualities. The Melange d'agrumes that I posses is of the Tallow variant.

Sorry that I could not have helped in your inquiry any further.

Unfortunately, I can not answer that question with any sort of subjectivity or knowledge as I've never used any of the vegan based shave soap products that Ethos Grooming produces. The Regular and F (Creme & Firm bases, respectively) are nearly identical in performance and post shave qualities. The Melange d'agrumes that I posses is of the Tallow variant.

Sorry that I could not have helped in your inquiry any further.
My mistake on the vegan base. But your answer was helpful and good news for me. I was under the mis-impression that the Melange had only been available in the vegan cream base and that Frank, of Ethos, was just now considering releasing a tallow formulation. Looking back at communications I realize that the consideration was not for tallow in general, but the F base specifically. I had been looking to try Melange and would be happy with either of the tallow variants. Apologies to all for the intrusion on this thread.

Another early morning shave and this time with the Ti .8 base plate & cap. I like the overall finish of this set up over the other two as it is nicely polished and looks more refined. Think of it as a very close or identical rendition of the finished product. Again, it’s a dual comb set up and the feel with this one in particular was mild & smooth. I used the Feather blade again on its 3rd use and it did what it had to do. The lighter weight of the whole set (all Ti head & handle) made me adjust slightly with a bit more pressure but, never felt as if I was going to pay the price for the change in technique & assertion of that pressure. Some good skin stretching and flexing and a DFS was easily achieved in 3 passes with a slight buff on the chin & jawline to pick up stragglers. It was not the most efficient or effective cutting base of the 3 but, by no means is it an ineffective cutting tool. If a shaver prefers the mid to lower end of razor cutting spectrum, the .8 would fit that bill to a tee. I would like to think that its creation is to be a comfortable, non aggressive daily shaver with a smooth & softer feel on the skin that Titanium alloys have proven to show in the artisan razor creation field. I’m a sucker for Ti alloy in shaving gear and especially in razors. In the end though, I preferred the shave feel and qualities of the 1.2 Brass & 1.0 SS over the Ti .8 by a substantial margin. And that is not to say that this is the razors fault as it is more of my own doing that I prefer a more efficient or a more aggressive leaning shave designed geometry to get me to the shave qualities that I look for in a razor.

I’ll get two more shaves in, one each with the 1.2 & 1.0 with a Bic Chrome and KAI blade, respectively and get this wonderful kit ready for the next pass around participant. Great shaves to all…

20E3DF29-627F-4414-9EE5-FEB6BB8308DB.jpeg

Short & sweet. Just a remarkably good shave this morning with the Le Maurice 1.2 Brass head. As I stated in my previous post I went with the Bic Chrome Platinum and it worked to near smooth perfection. Still as sharp as the Feather imho but, vastly superior in smoothness & comfort and the Le Maurice 1.2 took full advantage of this blades attributes. I did not need a full 3 pass shave but, the shave process was so smooth and seamless, I just went for the 3rd pass just to search for whiskers that honestly, weren’t even there. That’s how good it was. Easier on the face than the Feather yet identical results. I’m leaning towards this configuration ever so slightly the 1.2 that is but, I still need to try the 1.0 with the KAI blade just for my own personal reference. Today though, the Le Maurice with the Bic Chrome felt majestic in performance.

One more to go and my final thoughts afterwards. Great shaves to all…

F0031971-F559-48EF-8EEB-A3ADF0607535.jpeg

An evening shave with the Le Maurice 1.0 and the last of the shaves in this pass around. I installed a fresh KAI blade just to see how blade feel & efficiency would fair in this set up. Also, went with the Daveli Farms Green Tea shave soap on its inaugural shave outing just to see how it fairs with some of the other comparably priced soap products out there. Brought out the Ethos Lather Booster just in case I needed an extra boost in lather & slickness. The shave yesterday was very good with the 1.2 & Bic Chrome as the stubble growth wasn’t as pronounced as normal. Nevertheless, there was enough to get my shave on and the 1.0 with the KAI did not disappoint. I used a bit more of the Daveli soap to get a thick and silky smooth lather and it actually provided very good protection and glide for the razor. I only used the Ethos Booster on the 2nd and final pass just to up the residual slickness of the soap. The Kai in the 1.0 is a step up in blade feel and most certainly in its efficiency in cutting thoroughly without any fanfare. I sacrificed just a tiny bit of the Le Maurice’s inherent smoothness to gain a bit more blade feel and overall feedback from this particular shave. Like I said previously, I was done in two great passes though I did create some heat/irritation at the corners of my mouth clearing out the ends of the stache area. No doubt caused by the extra blade feel/exposure on the skin and that is no fault of the razor itself. Just me experimenting with blades and feel. A lighter touch from hands and that irritation would have never reared its ugly head. On me, totally. Otherwise it was a BBS finish of the highest order with smooth and supple skin once all was said and done. Alum pass and the splash subdued the irritation gremlins in under 10 mins and I was good as new. The soap performed as it should providing good glide and protection for the skin allowing the Le Maurice to move smoothly and easily across my skin. Great shave, period.

Summation to follow. Getting dinner ready at the moment. Great shaves to all…

6799E95A-D083-46C9-8C4B-AD953435993F.jpeg

Excuse the delay gents in putting my final thoughts on this razor to the screen. I’ll be brief and to the point as I see no need to add anything that does not pertain to the shave performance and quality of this kits craftsmanship. Monetarily wise, I think it’s worth the 5 Benny’s + as I see it as an heirloom quality creation. Pricing is subjective and everyone is going to have a different look and opinion on it. I see the work & the time put into it. Plus, the performance backs it up.

Let’s cut to the chase. The quality and attention to the smallest of details is apparent in the whole kit itself. From the detailed cuts of the wood case that holds each individual piece in its place to the near perfect alignment of the blade on each of those base and top caps is exceptional. One might gripe on the kits individual finishes on each respective alloy but, I find it to be a grain of sand that happens to be white at the beach that’s predominantly colored beige/brown. To me it does not detract from the overall quality and character that this particular kit delivers. The artisan has a vision and a particular idea on what he believes is the nature of what this razor should deliver. The individual pours their time, heart & soul into a creation and as a whole, it tells a story of refinement and homage to someone in their life. And I truly appreciate that aspect of the creation and most importantly, the thought behind it.

The 1.2 Brass. This is without question the most efficient operating option of the 3 included. Yet, I still felt comfortable in every stroke and at every particular pass whether it was ATG, WTG or XTG that it would deliver optimal feedback as long as the technique was equal to the task. Not saying that it is a razor that needs ultimate concentration or lock oneself into a zen like state but, just good razor sense on the individual and not be lazy about that technique. What it delivers is an exceptionally smooth & efficient shave that given its gap size and positive blade exposure, only a handful of razor makers have attained. Think R41 type like results with a Timeless SS .95 like type feel or a Karve F in Brass. Not bad company if you ask me.

The 1.0 SS. This one is slightly toned down from the 1.2 but, it still manages to give you good feel and feedback and when I installed a bit wider blade such as the KAI, blade feel was turned up a notch with a minuscule drop in comfort/smoothness. Still easier to maneuver than the 1.2 but, if you get lazy well, weepers and nics will abound without blinking an eye. With the Feather I would put this up against any mid aggressive razor in terms of shave prowess while still being quite nice on the skin and mean on the whiskers. And I believe that this particular set up with a milder or smoother blade would be the hands down winner for a perfect daily driver.

The .8 Ti. This one was smooth, smooth and more smooth. But, this pup still has some teeth to nibble on your skin if you think it’s a daisy. Clearly it’s the easier razor of the three on face feel, comfort and affords one the ability to get real cozy with it right quick. But, the positive blade exposure still tells you that it’s still there and can take a quick bite if you get too over confident too quickly. If your a daily shaver who can care less for a BBS or Dolphin like smooth skin after every shave, this is your huckleberry. The Titanium feels great on the skin and with a Feather, that initial harshness is tamed somewhat and it really is a joy to use. Gillette Tech razor seekers that want a modern alloyed shaver with just the slightest bump over that Tech, your search is potentially over with this one.

Great shaves across the board with every single one of these. I can’t say there was a bad one for the week that I had it. I never had an issue with the razors ability in keeping lather and cut whiskers flowing away from the skin and through the lather slots. Never an issue with rinsing on the Open Comb side and let alone on the Safety Bar side. The blade posts on the base plate is a non issue for me. Drop the blade in, place the top cap over it and screw in the handle. 1,2,3 easy. Traditionalist might take exception to this set up but, barring a severe medical condition this is a point that I see no grounds in arguing over. The argument simply just does not hold any water. Now, if your a klutz then, you shouldn’t be near anything sharp let alone holding it. Disposables were meant for you. Just embrace it and be happy with your shaves. Anyhow, I do have a gripe and that is with the handle itself. Not that it didn’t over balance or feel but, I felt that somehow this razor kit would have benefited from a knurled handle or something along the lines of the Timeless Crown Ti handle. Not exact but, something that offered some type of tactile grip/texture with some type of curves or undulation within the length of the handle. The handle never felt like it was going to slip but, somehow I was always fidgeting with it during the shave on trying to find the sweet spot for my fingers. Alum always took care of the grip but, it just felt lacking. That’s just me and me being finicky.

I would like to thank again the sponsor Atelier Durdan for supplying and allowing us to sample a wonderful creation and the heads of the shave community for allowing this to take place here in the forum. It was a privilege for me and I really enjoyed every shave with this kit. I love what the kit represents and what the artisan was trying or is conveying with this product. Some old with some new. I get it and I might just spring for one….

Hello all,
I've been looking at the Le Maurice as a possible next razor purchase. Lately I've gained affinity to artisan razors from that side of the world. So far I have the Greencult 1.1 & 2.0 (Austria), Tatara Nodachi (Portugal), Stando Chors (Still on it's way to me! Poland!). I like the fact that the Le Maurice is from a small French artisan and might be a nice addition. These aren't only collector pieces for me as I use all the razors I own. I've liked the GC 2.0 & Nodachi so much that they've become my most used razors. And I'm really looking forward to using the Chors when it eventually arrives.
As of November, the Le Maurice has been updated to version 2. Augustin has refined the finish and has modified the little details based on input from users of version 1.2. i.e., blade loading is now on the top cap! In short, it should be a great razor!
He offers the "Discovery" model which is a Stainless sandblasted head with the 1.0 gap and it includes a cross patterned handle. The cost is 200 Euros for the package which I see as a reasonable entry point for one of these razors. Initially he offered it with a short handle only but I asked him about adding a long handle option and he's now added it for the same price!
I'd love to hear about comparisons between the Le Maurice vs. the Blutt, Stando Chors and even the Drakkant (even though the Drakkant is USA made). I know @Mr. Shavington and @ClumsyBull have tried a few of these and I'd like to know what you all think.
I'd love to buy all of them at once but I can't, LOL!!
So next in line will be: Le Maurice, Blutt or Drakkant!
Like I mentioned, the Stando Chors is on it's way to me but I know some of you have tried it too.
Help me choose with your experience!
This is the "Discovery" package. I would order it with the long handle though:

full

full

full

Last edited:
Hello all,
I've been looking at the Le Maurice as a possible next razor purchase. Lately I've gained affinity to artisan razors from that side of the world. So far I have the Greencult 1.1 & 2.0 (Austria), Tatara Nodachi (Portugal), Stando Chors (Still on it's way to me! Poland!). I like the fact that the Le Maurice is from a small French artisan and might be a nice addition. These aren't only collector pieces for me as I use all the razors I own. I've liked the GC 2.0 & Nodachi so much that they've become my most used razors. And I'm really looking forward to using the Chors when it eventually arrives.
As of November, the Le Maurice has been updated to version 2. Augustin has refined the finish and has modified the little details based on input from users of version 1.2. i.e., blade loading is now on the top cap! In short, it should be a great razor!
He offers the "Discovery" model which is a Stainless sandblasted head with the 1.0 gap and it includes a cross patterned handle. The cost is 200 Euros for the package which I see as a reasonable entry point for one of these razors. Initially he offered it with a short handle only but I asked him about adding a long handle option and he's now added it for the same price!
I'd love to hear about comparisons between the Le Maurice vs. the Blutt, Stando Chors and even the Drakkant (even though the Drakkant is USA made). I know @Mr. Shavington and @ClumsyBull have tried a few of these and I'd like to know what you all think.
I'd love to buy all of them at once but I can't, LOL!!
So next in line will be: Le Maurice, Blutt or Drakkant!
Like I mentioned, the Stando Chors is on it's way to me but I know some of you have tried it too.
Help me choose with your experience!
This is the "Discovery" package. I would order it with the long handle though:

full

full

full
I haven’t shaved with the Le Maurice 1.20 very recently - too many razors - so I can’t add anything to my review earlier in this thread. Maybe I can try it again tonight. I have the Le Maurice 1.2, Blutt 1.20 and 0.99, and Stando Chors, but I don’t have the Aylsworth. My view was that all three are excellent razors, and notably smooth for the level of efficiency. I like the Blutt 1.20 the most (both for the shave and the build quality), but all three are impressive shavers and fairly similar in how they shave - medium-high efficiency, and smoother than most similar razors. I’m sure the Aylsworth must be in the same area, particularly with the + plate.

So I recommend the Blutt 1.20 first. If you go for the Le Maurice you may want to try the 1.4 or 1.6 gaps (which weren’t available when I bought mine) - as the 1.2 isn’t quite as efficient for me as the Blutt 1.20. The Chors is in the same ballpark for the shave - not quite as refined in build, but still good, and it is much lower priced.

I’ll caveat everything though as I know you don’t shave against the grain and I do three passes (with two against the grain, in different directions) so I can’t really predict how the razors would be for you, and I don’t pay a lot of attention to the results before my second and third passes. For me the result after shaving thoroughly against the grain is what I judge on. I look for razors that can shave me completely smooth and not irritate my skin in the process, and completely smooth for me means aggressive against-the-grain passes with skin stretching, with the razor’s efficiency determining how much buffing against-the-grain is required to get there, but the end result and the condition of my skin is what matters to me.

Last edited:
I haven’t shaved with the Le Maurice 1.20 very recently - too many razors - so I can’t add anything to my review earlier in this thread. Maybe I can try it again tonight. I have the Le Maurice 1.2, Blutt 1.20 and 0.99, and Stando Chors, but I don’t have the Aylsworth. My view was that all three are excellent razors, and notably smooth for the level of efficiency. I like the Blutt 1.20 the most (both for the shave and the build quality), but all three are impressive shavers and fairly similar in how they shave - medium-high efficiency, and smoother than most similar razors. I’m sure the Aylsworth must be in the same area, particularly with the + plate.

So I recommend the Blutt 1.20 first. If you go for the Le Maurice you may want to try the 1.4 or 1.6 gaps (which weren’t available when I bought mine) - as the 1.2 isn’t quite as efficient for me as the Blutt 1.20. The Chors is in the same ballpark for the shave - not quite as refined in build, but still good, and it is much lower priced.

I’ll caveat everything though as I know you don’t shave against the grain and I do three passes (with two against the grain, in different directions) so I can’t really predict how the razors would be for you, and I don’t pay a lot of attention to the results before my second and third passes. For me the result after shaving thoroughly against the grain is what I judge on. I look for razors that can shave me completely smooth and not irritate my skin in the process, and completely smooth for me means aggressive against-the-grain passes with skin stretching, with the razor’s efficiency determining how much buffing against-the-grain is required to get there, but the end result and the condition of my skin is what matters to me.
Good info!
As for the build quality:
I believe that he's refined everything with the version that came out after November. I just haven't read about anyone buying the latest version. Seems like a lot of interest at the beginning and then it has stalled. Odd since it's a razor coming from France which is an anomaly right now. Hopefully that changes!
I think his line has a lot of potential. He even had a Black Friday sale that he posted about and nobody saw it (including me). I would have jumped on it at the time in order to buy individual components. The Discovery is the only (relatively affordable) complete razor option but it's the 1.0 and you can't choose other gaps. If I go for other gaps it's very expensive for the sake experimentation!
What's your take on blade feel between the Le Maurice, Blutt & Chors?
The Le Maurice is 0.5" exposure which is mildly positive.
I haven't seen Blutt nor Stando publish blade exposures!

Last edited:
Good info!
As for the build quality:
I believe that he's refined everything with the version that came out after November. I just haven't read about anyone buying the latest version. Seems like a lot of interest at the beginning and then it has stalled. Odd since it's a razor coming from France which is an anomaly right now. Hopefully that changes!
I think his line has a lot of potential. He even had a Black Friday sale that he posted about and nobody saw it (including me). I would have jumped on it at the time in order to buy individual components. The Discovery is the only (relatively affordable) complete razor option but it's the 1.0 and you can't choose other gaps. If I go for other gaps it's very expensive for the sake experimentation!
I certainly agree the build quality of the Le Maurice is excellent. I think I commented in my review how the handle slots into the stand with an almost military ‘snick’, and details like that speak volumes. The Blutt is really impressive, though, and it’s satisfying to look at how precisely it fits together. The Blutt somehow feels high-end in a way that the others don’t quite, even though it is a fine bead blasted finish rather than polished.

Sounds like you want a Le Maurice. I can totally recommend it. I should get myself a 1.4 or 1.6 head someday (can’t get just a base plate now, since he has redesigned it to load the blade on the top cap).

I certainly agree the build quality of the Le Maurice is excellent. I think I commented in my review how the handle slots into the stand with an almost military ‘snick’, and details like that speak volumes. The Blutt is really impressive, though, and it’s satisfying to look at how precisely it fits together. The Blutt somehow feels high-end in a way that the others don’t quite, even though it is a fine bead blasted finish rather than polished.

Sounds like you want a Le Maurice. I can totally recommend it. I should get myself a 1.4 or 1.6 head someday (can’t get just a base plate now, since he has redesigned it to load the blade on the top cap).
Thanks!
Sometimes I think it's better to not ask for opinions because it makes the "RAD" gravitate towards all of them.
I want them all🤣

I had edited (added) this question to my last post but I don't think you saw it!

I had edited (added) this question to my last post but I don't think you saw it!
You’re right, I didn’t see the edit. From memory I think they all have fairly similar amounts of blade feel. I would have to shave side-by-side to be clearer, but I think any differences are minor. They are kind of the same type of razor - medium level of mildness/aggression in face feel, but more efficient than you expect for that feel.

But I would say the same about the Rocnel Elite, which you didn’t get along with. As I say, it’s hard to extrapolate my experiences to predict yours, since we shave very differently. Omitting the ATG pass is alien to me and I’ve never done that, so I have no benchmark for what kind of shave result you expect to get, or whether any given razor would do better or worse.

The two best razors I have that do noticeably give me a super close first pass are my Rocnel Sailor and Wolfman WR2 1.55. Both have blade feel but are quite smooth considering the efficiency. They would surely blow your **** off, but in a good way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom