What's new

New French Razor: Le Maurice

I've also bought a one on their black friday and if I'm lucky, it will arrive tomorrow or next week. I went with the basic machined stainless steel version with the smooth bar and 1.8 gap. I was told by a lot of people that the lower gaps are quite mild and I was recommended either the 1.6 or the 1.8. Only time will tell.

I have a "le Maurice" with 1.4 and 1.8 plates,I took both Open/closed plates, I find that the open part is slightly more effective while remaining soft
I recommend skipping an interval when choosing the gap, for example 1.6 and 1.8 are very similar plates
I can use 1.4 for a worry-free shave, while 1.8 is fantastic... effective while remaining soft, to tell the truth sometimes for me it becomes almost soporific as a razor "I like feeling the blade" in this razor you can feel very little
However, it remains a very high level product

I have never had a shave that compares to La Faulx and that includes more than 30 years of wet shaving.
Massimiliano Allegri Reaction GIF by JuventusFC

Luckily, I was able to get today and I won't have to wait a whole year :D . The packaging is really nice and I like how thoughtful and careful both the plate and the top cap were wrapped in paper and then sealed with wax. I'll be shaving with mine today and hopefuly, the 1.8 isn't going to be on the aggressive side.

415455652_3685565168388752_1275311501380029439_n.jpg

Luckily, I was able to get today and I won't have to wait a whole year :D . The packaging is really nice and I like how thoughtful and careful both the plate and the top cap were wrapped in paper and then sealed with wax. I'll be shaving with mine today and hopefuly, the 1.8 isn't going to be on the aggressive side.

View attachment 1771533
For me absolutely not aggressive... effective yes but it remains comfortable
Congratulations on your purchase

For me absolutely not aggressive... effective yes but it remains comfortable
Congratulations on your purchase

The head of the Maurice ''kinda'' looks like my Yates 921 with the EH plate and even the blade gap seems similar. Though I doubt that both razors will shave absolutely the same, I hope the Maurice is just as good if not better, since I really like the EH plate and it has become my favorite razor, while the Blackbird is slightly behind, but still an awesome razor.

Since there are so many gaps, perhaps we should remove 1.2 from the title of this thread. @ClumsyBull, you started it, and @Mr. Shavington, you were the second poster, what do you think? Then this could be the thread for all friends of Maurice to hang out. :)
FWIW, I agree. At the time the thread started 1.2 was the maximum gap available (along with 0.8 and 1.0), so specifying 1.2 gap was a more meaningful distinction then. Now, with many more gaps on offer, it no longer has any significance and it wouldn’t make sense to have a specific thread for only this gap.

My first shave went really well and despite the high blade gap, the razor doesn't feel aggressive or difficult to use. It's very well balanced in terms of efficiency and comfort and while the efficiency is decent, it's not as high as you would imagine. Shaving XTG and ATG felt like it's almost impossible to cut myself.

The one thing I didn't like is how the head bends the blade a bit too much, instead of letting it stick a bit and such razors are giving me a hard time when cleaning up the lower part of my chin.

The razor kinda reminds me of the Karve Overlander, but with a higher blade gap and a bit more efficiency. My overall experience was really pleasant and my usual 3 pass shave left me with a nice BBS.

That still is the most awesome B&B joke I've ever heard, well played, @T Bone!

Knowing that would get us all banned from the forums, we could build on what @Galibier_Numero_Un said for a name for a Le Maurice club:

Gangsters of Love

The Joker, by Steve Miller

Some people call me the space cowboy, yeah
Some call me the gangster of love
Some people call me Maurice
'Cause I speak of the pompatus of love

Fellow Gangsters of Love, I've been thrilled with Le Maurice. It is even better than I remember from the passaround. It immediately joined my top tier razors. It caused me to sell of some others that I can't imagine reaching for now that the Space Cowboy is in my den. It might not be for everyone, but it seems to be a great fit for my face.

Top Bottom