What's new

New French Razor: Le Maurice 1.2

Bought a new razor head from a French Artisan. I didn't purchase the full razor, just the head. Mounted it on top of a Copper Bandit Handle from Alpha.

The razor is a dual comb, milled from 316L stainless steel. Gap is 1.2mm. The razor is available in sandblasted finish or polished, but I opted for machine finished.

The Le Maurice shaves very well indeed. The 1.2mm gap isn't at all intimidating in practical usage. The overall shave feel is very similar to a Gamechanger .84 OC. Mid aggressive. Le Maurice has a high level of efficiency.

A 2.5 pass shave gives me BBS. This is equivalent to a vector OC shave or that from a Blutt Rasur. On fact the smoothness is comparable to the Blutt Rasur 1.2 which I own and love.

It does have a bit more bladefeel given that it's a dual comb.

The very nice thing about this razor is that the 2.5 passes end up giving me BBS with zero irritation. I can see this as a daily driver. More so than the likes of Timeless bronze OC or even the Blackbird OC. Two thumbs up to Augustin!

The razor is produced by Augustin from Atelier Durdan.

Here are some Picts:

Attachments

• 20220804_153942.jpg
    20220804_153942.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220804_151923.jpg
    20220804_151923.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220804_135454.jpg
    20220804_135454.jpg
    845.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220804_135319.jpg
    20220804_135319.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
It sounds like another well-designed razor that would fit nicely in the efficient but smooth category, and be more efficient and more smooth than most razors. I actually have an order placed for the Le Maurice 1.2 gap but Augustin is on vacation for August and I expect it will be another month before I get to try it. Helpful to hear you find the characteristics so similar to the Blutt 1.20 - for me that is a really nice balance of efficiency and comfort, and better at both than you would expect. It’s cool to have such a good razor coming from France, with it’s own style.

Would you say the Blutt has the edge on these for build quality and refinement? I guess you can’t comment on the balance and hand feel if you are using your own handle.

I recently got a couple of Stando Polska DE razors - the Leschy and Chors models. I have only used the Leschy so far but they are both stated as very efficient, mid-aggressive feeling razors with similar low blade exposure and gaps of 1.25 and 1.30mm. I find the Leschy (1.25 gap) feels also similar in efficiency and comfort to the Blutt 1.20. I’m planning to shave with the Chors tonight to compare. The Stando ‘Single Edge’ SE razor was also very much in this same category of performance for me. I really like these Stando razors - they have a nice style about them with some nice handle choices, and are priced close to $100 (a tip: it’s significantly cheaper to buy from the Stando website than via their Etsy store). The details aren’t as fine as the Blutt (for example screwing on the handle isn’t particularly smooth feeling), but that doesn’t matter very much when the shave is so good. The finishes are blasted and the texture feels satiny but also very grippy, which I like, but Stanislaw does not offer other finishes.

It seems to me that there are a lot of recent razors offering a very good balance of efficiency and smoothness, and models that lean toward mildness or efficiency, but are more efficient and smooth than you expect. I’ve read the new Aylsworth razor may be another. A couple of years ago I don’t think there were many (if any) razors that feel and perform as good as these. I guess the designers have found a good formula for razor head design, or they are doing better development and testing. I think many of the more established razor brands will have to do some catching up soon, although I’d say that Karve are already there (or even better) with the Overlander.

It sounds like another well-designed razor that would fit nicely in the efficient but smooth category, and be more efficient and more smooth than most razors. I actually have an order placed for the Le Maurice 1.2 gap but Augustin is on vacation for August and I expect it will be another month before I get to try it. Helpful to hear you find the characteristics so similar to the Blutt 1.20 - for me that is a really nice balance of efficiency and comfort, and better at both than you would expect. It’s cool to have such a good razor coming from France, with it’s own style.

Would you say the Blutt has the edge on these for build quality and refinement? I guess you can’t comment on the balance and hand feel if you are using your own handle.

I recently got a couple of Stando Polska DE razors - the Leschy and Chors models. I have only used the Leschy so far but they are both stated as very efficient, mid-aggressive feeling razors with similar low blade exposure and gaps of 1.25 and 1.30mm. I find the Leschy (1.25 gap) feels also similar in efficiency and comfort to the Blutt 1.20. I’m planning to shave with the Chors tonight to compare. The Stando ‘Single Edge’ SE razor was also very much in this same category of performance for me. I really like these Stando razors - they have a nice style about them with some nice handle choices, and are priced close to $100 (a tip: it’s significantly cheaper to buy from the Stando website than via their Etsy store). The details aren’t as fine as the Blutt (for example screwing on the handle isn’t particularly smooth feeling), but that doesn’t matter very much when the shave is so good. The finishes are blasted and the texture feels satiny but also very grippy, which I like, but Stanislaw does not offer other finishes.

It seems to me that there are a lot of recent razors offering a very good balance of efficiency and smoothness, and models that lean toward mildness or efficiency, but are more efficient and smooth than you expect. I’ve read the new Aylsworth razor may be another. A couple of years ago I don’t think there were many (if any) razors that feel and perform as good as these. I guess the designers have found a good formula for razor head design, or they are doing better development and testing. I think many of the more established razor brands will have to do some catching up soon, although I’d say that Karve are already there (or even better) with the Overlander.
I cannot agree more with you. In fact, I was talking to Iridian several times about this concept of a renaissance of the DE razors. Of late we have been very blessed with many highly efficient yet impressively smooth razors.

I managed to catch Augustin just before he went on holiday and he was very kind indeed to finish off my razor and send it out before his break. It was also very nice of him to actually reach out to me after I posted in DFS saying I didnt feel like the sandblasted finish. All in all, a very pleasant artisan to work with.

In terms of the comfort level of the razor, I would say even that the Leschy would appear somewhat more aggressive without necessarily being more efficient than the Maurice. But then again, this is my first shave with the Maurice. I may have been more careful as we all are on the first run. Cannot wait for another shave with it. But the dual comb is marvelous. I love dual combs, with the flexibility they offer.

Anyway, I have the Aylsworth razor, and it shaves slightly more efficiently than the Yates M. I would recommend waiting a few weeks. Aylsworth is planning a release of the more aggressive plate which I believe lies between the Yates H/EH plate. He will also release eventually an open comb. But Aylsworth has got a very beautifully made handle.

Finally Stando. If you like the Leschy you will like the Chors. I found Chors smoother than the Leschy. In fact, I am of the thought that Leschy may just be the chors with scallops in the safety bar ;) That's how it feels to me. Do not discount the Cats Claws. They are very comfortable and efficient open combs. Stando makes excellent razors.

This was a great read. Thanks for sharing your experiences with these vendors. I only own a handle from Stando (which I love) and I have been wondering how good are his razors. Same with Atelier Durdan.

I respect the work of all these artisans and I'm very happy to see that the market grows each day. I would be even more happy to have a variety of designs such as in the prewar years. Especially in France there were very innovative vendors and I hope that in future all these skilled artisans will follow this tradition and we will have such a variety again.

Let me state it again, I really appreciate honest work and engineering. I'm very grateful for this.

I cannot agree more with you. In fact, I was talking to Iridian several times about this concept of a renaissance of the DE razors. Of late we have been very blessed with many highly efficient yet impressively smooth razors.

I managed to catch Augustin just before he went on holiday and he was very kind indeed to finish off my razor and send it out before his break. It was also very nice of him to actually reach out to me after I posted in DFS saying I didnt feel like the sandblasted finish. All in all, a very pleasant artisan to work with.

In terms of the comfort level of the razor, I would say even that the Leschy would appear somewhat more aggressive without necessarily being more efficient than the Maurice. But then again, this is my first shave with the Maurice. I may have been more careful as we all are on the first run. Cannot wait for another shave with it. But the dual comb is marvelous. I love dual combs, with the flexibility they offer.

Anyway, I have the Aylsworth razor, and it shaves slightly more efficiently than the Yates M. I would recommend waiting a few weeks. Aylsworth is planning a release of the more aggressive plate which I believe lies between the Yates H/EH plate. He will also release eventually an open comb. But Aylsworth has got a very beautifully made handle.

Finally Stando. If you like the Leschy you will like the Chors. I found Chors smoother than the Leschy. In fact, I am of the thought that Leschy may just be the chors with scallops in the safety bar ;) That's how it feels to me. Do not discount the Cats Claws. They are very comfortable and efficient open combs. Stando makes excellent razors.
Yep, just as you said, the Stando Chors is similar to the Leschy. Could be the same, as you suspect. I have the Chors in brass and the Leschy in steel, so they are still different enough for me to keep both. Great razors, and if you say the Le Maurice is even a touch smoother for the same efficiency then I am really looking forward to it.

The Le Maurice I ordered is steel, scalloped solid bar, 1.2 plate, and with the long, slim handle #4. Should be like this but with slightly different handle pattern….

88FAC6F1-A086-4C80-A4C2-E656158DB16F.jpeg

Last edited:
It's good to see a new razor made in France coming out finally. I've alway thought France made some of the best shaving tools in the old days but wondered why no modern French razor exist while Germany or Italy razor do.

(Found one French razor after googling. Bareaya. Never heard of them or seen any review before. Bareaya Safety Razor - https://en.bareaya.com/collections/shaving/products/bareaya-safety-razor)
It says at the bottom it’s made in China, though. Zinc alloy handle but might be brass head. Looks pretty and likely designed more for looks than quality. I like how they call it a “reusable” razor - tells you who it’s designed for.

Yep, just as you said, the Stando Chors is similar to the Leschy. Could be the same, as you suspect. I have the Chors in brass and the Leschy in steel, so they are still different enough for me to keep both. Great razors, and if you say the Le Maurice is even a touch smoother for the same efficiency then I am really looking forward to it.

The Le Maurice I ordered is steel, scalloped solid bar, 1.2 plate, and with the long, slim handle #4. Should be like this but with slightly different handle pattern….

View attachment 1500244
Oh very nice. I like the look. I wonder if anyone does Dual combs with OC and scalloped... Hmmmm.

Btw I just shaved again with the Maurice, and yes, I still maintain that even the OC side is at least as smooth if not smoother than the Standos. My only (minor) gripe about the razor is that the lower exposure means the shave longevity is slightly lower. What I mean to say is that I get to shave again in 20+ hours. But the upside is even shaving with abandon, I didn't get any nicks, cuts or any irritation at all.

View attachment 1500244
Any news on your Maurice yet? Don't forget to share a shave report and some nice pictures...

Top Bottom