What's new

New French Press.

I am not "new" to the french press, but I walked out of Target with a nice 8-cup Bodum Chambord tonight. I have looked at it before, and for $40 it was always just too much. Well, what would you know, it was on sale for $20!!! :drool: Needless to say I picked one off the shelf and into the cart. I will still use our Keurig for my morning coffee on the way to work, as I not only have a case of K-cups, but I have worked second shift for most of my life and I will be going to first shift starting December 2nd for a few months of training...I'll be half awake, and likely running low on time. Keurig! I have a Bodum travel french press somewhere, and the coffee made with it was always out of this world. Even 8 O'clock Colombian made with a french press was darn tasty! VERY smooth, strong but never bitter.

I did not, however pick up beans. I mean, really? I forgot the COFFEE to go with it :angry: I'll get out tomorrow after my morning Keurig cup o joe (Newman's Own Special Blend - I like it enough!) I have a cheap Mr. Coffee burr grinder that actually does an OK job.

Any advice? Like I said I've used a french press, always loved the quality of coffee did not like the cheapness of the travel press I had. This is a FAR better press...

Any readily available whole bean coffee that most places carry? I think the local store carries Green Mountain, not sure if they have whole bean though.

It is hard to recommend a specific coffee brand. If you have a local coffee roaster that is likely your best source, as it can be tricky to know how long the beans have been sitting on the grocery store shelf. But that is not to say that you can not find some acceptable coffee at there. It all depends on your tastes.

For now I have some 8 O'clock Colombian. Not much around here, really.

There is a "local" coffee roaster, if you consider 45 minutes or more in a direction I NEVER travel "local"... I'll drive an hour to the homebrew store, but then I get a lot more when I'm there. You can only buy SO much coffee at once.

Does a vacuum sealer extend the life of beans? I have one... :)

For now I have some 8 O'clock Colombian. Not much around here, really.

There is a "local" coffee roaster, if you consider 45 minutes or more in a direction I NEVER travel "local"... I'll drive an hour to the homebrew store, but then I get a lot more when I'm there. You can only buy SO much coffee at once.

Does a vacuum sealer extend the life of beans? I have one... :)

Not much will extend the life of roasted beans. I've tried jut about everything and the only thing that works is consuming the beans within a week to a week and a half after they are roasted :sad:

The commercial bean roasters (the brands you find in the grocery store) nitrogen pack with one way gas valves but once you open the bag you have only a couple of days before the beans start going south.

Best thing to do is find a local specialty roaster in your general area and buy fresh roasted. Once you try freshly roasted coffee you won't look back to month old store stuff again.

You can buy online. There are a couple of coffee vendors on B&B who can provide you with same day roasted beans so factor in 3-4 days travel time from them to you the beans should be at peak flavor when they arrive.

The "local" place (Fingerlakes coffee roasters) is too far out of the way to get coffee every two weeks. Maybe I will get some for Christmas time though! I do remember French Press takes a bit more coffee than auto-drip, at least in mine. I get STRONG coffee with only 8 Tbsp for 12 cups! I have a metal mesh filter though, I can't stand paper filters...

What does everyone think about hand grinders? I'm not interested in a $100 grinder that takes up counter space, but a manual crank grinder than can make enough for my 8 cup French Press would be great! I currently have a cheap B&D that works...but is far from ideal...

As always, thanks for all the comments and helpfrom all my fellow B&B posters!

What does everyone think about hand grinders? I'm not interested in a $100 grinder that takes up counter space, but a manual crank grinder than can make enough for my 8 cup French Press would be great! I currently have a cheap B&D that works...but is far from ideal...

As always, thanks for all the comments and help from all my fellow B&B posters!

I have a Kyocera CM-50 (same grinder as the Hario Skerton) with the Orphan Espresso PFP bottom bearing modification.

Fantastic grinder for press (PFP is an acronym for Perfect for Press).

Last edited by a moderator:
The "local" place (Fingerlakes coffee roasters) is too far out of the way to get coffee every two weeks. Maybe I will get some for Christmas time though!

I've read good reports of people getting decent roasting results with a stove top pop corn popper. You know the old fashion metal ones with the stirrer at the bottom you crank yourself. You can pick one up for under $20 + shipping at a lot of places

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16890557?...16680110&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34451048350&veh=sem

http://www.amazon.com/Wabash-Valley-Farms-25008-Whirley-Pop/dp/B00004SU35

Some even have glass windows or glass tops so you can keep an eye on your beans (cost a little more than the basic ones though).

Nothing like burning your own beans $firefighter.gif

proxy.php
proxy.php

hmm the Orphan Espresso PFP mod on a hario looks like it might be a good fit for me. Not cheap, but seems most sub $100 electric grinders are only so-so. And why not have a whole system that requires no electricity? (I can boil water over a WOOD fire...)

Roasting my own....I'm staying away. Till i have my own place at least, no more room/time for too many more hobbies!

I actually don't own a coffeemaker (ducks). The French Press always appealed to me as being elegant, not needing electricity, and being versatile when it comes to teas and other drinks. I need to get one at some point . . .

I always thought the thing to do was to buy a coffee grinder and whole beans where you grind your own. Buying fresh roasted weekly seems doable to me. Roasting my own beans . . . I'll leave that to the true aficionados!

The "local" place (Fingerlakes coffee roasters) is too far out of the way to get coffee every two weeks. Maybe I will get some for Christmas time though! I do remember French Press takes a bit more coffee than auto-drip, at least in mine. I get STRONG coffee with only 8 Tbsp for 12 cups! I have a metal mesh filter though, I can't stand paper filters...

As always, thanks for all the comments and helpfrom all my fellow B&B posters!

The Orphan Espresso PFP should be a good choice. As you stated it will be difficult to get a good electric grinder close to $100 USD. Many grinders struggle with the coarser french press grind, producing more variable sized particles than desired.

Even if you could only make a monthly trip to your "local" roaster that may still be your best option. Perhaps you can find out their roasting schedule in order to time your visits to get the freshest roast. The flavor will start dropping off the longer it is stored but you may find it good enough to hold you over. I don't usually drink month old roast, but sometimes I roast different coffees each week and hold a little back from the prior roast in order to brew a cup later. So I will have a few 3 week old cups intermixed with the most recent roast and always find it enjoyable, better than anything I could have bought at the grocery store.

Well I'm sitting here with a STRONG cup of 8 O'clock Columbian fresh ground and fresh made in the press.

I'll say even with that cheaper bean, its so much better with a french press than even a percolator! I've always found french press coffee to almost have a slight sweet background note to it. I used the 1Tbsp coffee to 4oz water method. It always worked well, a strong, but balanced cup :) Sure blows away Keruig coffee... haha!

Now I'll be on the hunt for the best price on the Hario/Kyocera grinder and also get the OE PFP mod! I know they are practically the same, but is one better for some reason?

Last edited:
Now I'll be on the hunt for the best price on the Hario/Kyocera grinder and also get the OE PFP mod! I know they are practically the same, but is one better for some reason?

They are both made in the same factory. They just come in a different box (one with the text in Japanese the other in English). I believe that Kyocera makes the ceramic burrs.

My Kyocera CM-50 bottom glass says Hario on it but the box it came in says Kyocera on it and the text is in English.

I don't think it matters what the cardboard box says.

Looks like Amazon is the best price. $40 and free shipping. Then $15 for the bottom bearing mod...

Why is it that every time I spend time on B&B I end up spending more money? :) Oh well, There are worse things I could spend money on! Besides, this grinder should, by all means, last me quite some time. I have no reason to get an electric grinder, no one else in my house enjoys strong coffee, and once I have my own place it will just be me.

Time to go for a walk...I need to dissipate some of the caffeine...

when you do the mod repositioning the conical burr on the shaft can be a little fiddly. Take your time and make sure you have it centered as perfect as you can. once you have it installed on the shaft you don't need to worry about it again as it will not shift but getting it perfectly level and aligned with the outside burr can take a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
when you do the mod repositioning the conical burr on the shaft can be a little fiddly. Take your time and make sure you have it centered as perfect as you can. once you have it installed on the shaft you don't need to worry about it again as it will not shift but getting it perfectly level and aligned with the outside burr can take a while.

Yea I watched that video. Thankfully I make precision optics and sometimes patience is the key when your trying to indicate something to <0.003mm (3 microns). The kit for the bottom bearing looks well thought out and well made. Why can't they just make them the right way from the factory?

Yea I watched that video. Thankfully I make precision optics and sometimes patience is the key when your trying to indicate something to <0.003mm (3 microns). The kit for the bottom bearing looks well thought out and well made. Why can't they just make them the right way from the factory?

It is pretty much imposable to make a grinder that is perfect for every grind, even electric ones costing thousands are specialized one way or the other.

Once you make the mod, the grinder will be good down only to moderate drip grind which is why I have 2 hand grinders. One that works like a champ for espresso and Turkish (espresso down to dust) and another hand grinder for moderate pour over to press grind (med to coarse)

proxy.php

Hario Skerton ordered from Amazon ($38 shipped) and the OE PFP mod ordered!

I'm ok with only the med-coarse grind. I have a cheapie electric that does fine for drip coffee or anything that would use a filter. It actually does OK for coarse, (it is a burr mill) but is not that consistent.

Hario Skerton arrived today, and the new ones come with a silicone cover so the beans don't fly out while grinding! I have not used it, I will try tomorrow :) The OE PFP should be here early next week...

The Grinder looks very good quality, but I sure see the need for the OE PFP bearing mod. Too bad they can't make them a bit tighter so as not to have all that slop with coarser settings! Should still last me a while, though!

I also picked up some new coffee...well, I have had it before. Its from walmart: Sams Choice Fair Trade Espresso Roast whole bean coffee. If I remember correctly it was some pretty good pre-packaged coffee! Nice dark, bold roast with lots of good flavor.

Taking a trip to my brother / sister in laws next weekend near Syracuse, NY. I will see if they know of any coffee roasters. I'll toss in some whole bean coffee and my grinder in my bag and at least make good coffee for breakfasts. Probably staying the whole weekend, not sure yet.

I bought the same French press on impulse from Amazon, but am yet to start using a grinder... I might be gifted one for Christmas and thus I haven't ordered a grinder just yet ;). But tried it with the coffee I had home, what I normally use in the percolator, and if drink the cup of coffee fast, it will still be good ;), but then it will go bad rather quickly due to being to fine grained (if that is the correct terminology), at least that's what I think.

Top Bottom