What's new

new fountain pen recommendation?

Hello,
I have lost my Kaweko pen and I want to buy a new pen now but there are too many brands and models and I need advice from you dear fountain pen junkies to help me out!

I have only every owned 2 pens: 1911 Sailor gold nib fine and a Kaweco with medium steel nib

The Sailor was $200, the Kaweco was $80 but I liked the Kaweco a little better because it was medium nib .

now I want to buy a pen that writes ultimately smooth and it does not need repairs all the time (durable). I have paid a lot of money for rare and hyped straight razors but I don't want to pay a dime for a rare pen, I just want a very durable and a very well made pen. I prefer not to pay more than $500 if I don't have to.

I am looking forward to your recommendations.

Best regards
Dan

I would like to say modern ones, but I know for a fact that vintage straight razors are so much better than modern ones. So I don't know what to say.

I want a normal sized pen, medium nib. both of my pens had a classic black shiny appearance and I like that a lot. Thanks for the replies

http://www.gouletpens.com/Edison_Hudson_Black_Fountain_Pen_p/en-hudson-black.htm

proxy.php

http://www.gouletpens.com/Edison_Nouveau_Premiere_Black_p/en-premiere-black.htm

proxy.php

Here is a couple that may work, a little larger than "standard" but handmade.

I have had good luck with my Pelikans. They make a good pen and I just sent a 80's vintage to Germany for free repairs. The M215 is available in several different trims and is a very nice looking pen. For under $500 you could even go as high as an M600 or perhaps an M800.

Thank you for the responses everyone. I have my mind on Edison pen. so you suggest they are top quality for under $500?
I will buy one from isellpens.com

I also checked out Pelikans but did not find one that I liked the looks of.

Thanks everyone.

Thank you for the responses everyone. I have my mind on Edison pen. so you suggest they are top quality for under $500?
I will buy one from isellpens.com

I also checked out Pelikans but did not find one that I liked the looks of.

Thanks everyone.

IMHO, you cannot go wrong with either an Edison, or Pelikan! Both are top quality!

I had an Edison Nouveau Premiere that I sold to fund the recent LE, and found it to be quite comfortable for larger hands. I tend to find the standard sized pens (or what I gather is referred to as standard - Esterbrook J, for instance) small.

lamy 2000 period...i've owned or own scheaffer, twsbi, edison, parker, lamy, pilot, and mont blanc, and the lamy 2k is the most durable, smooth and well made of the lot without a single doubt. of the brands i listed, three of the brands have broke from falling off my desk. i have dropped the lamy many times and no breaking (i think i could drop my lamy's off a sky scraper without breaking) so, if you want a pen that you have to keep an eye on and baby, go with a brand other than lamy. from your description of what you want i envisioned you wanting a no frills, utilitarian, every day pen that writes well...that pen is a lamy 2000,and you can get one for $125.00 new right now if you find the website i am looking at (pm me if you want the site.)

I've got an Edison Collier in the antique marble pattern. It had an unpleasantly scratchy nib when I first got it and it took a lot of fiddling to get it smooth. I was also a bit disappointed that there are quite a number of machining marks on the inside of the barrel and cap, which is completely understandable, but they unfortunately show through as the material is partially translucent. That wouldn't be an issue for other models that aren't translucent, but I wasn't expecting it. It does, however, have one of the most comfortable sections I've held and once the nib was fixed, it is a nice writer.

As to whether Edison is the best one can do at under 500 ... I've gravitated towards vintage pens, but I think I'd go for a modern Pelikan over an Edison, but it sounds like the aesthetics of the Pelikans aren't to your taste. I like the fill style better on Pelikans and their nibs seem nicer to me. On the other hand, if one were to go a custom route with Edison, there are a lot of nice materials with which the pen may be made and Brian does make a very nice pen.

lamy 2000 period...i've owned or own scheaffer, twsbi, edison, parker, lamy, pilot, and mont blanc, and the lamy 2k is the most durable, smooth and well made of the lot without a single doubt. of the brands i listed, three of the brands have broke from falling off my desk. i have dropped the lamy many times and no breaking (i think i could drop my lamy's off a sky scraper without breaking) so, if you want a pen that you have to keep an eye on and baby, go with a brand other than lamy. from your description of what you want i envisioned you wanting a no frills, utilitarian, every day pen that writes well...that pen is a lamy 2000,and you can get one for $125.00 new right now if you find the website i am looking at (pm me if you want the site.)

I do not think the Lamy 2000 gets the credit it deserves! It is a great pen, piston filler that holds plenty of ink, and has a butter smooth soft gold nib, and can be bought for $125 if you look around a bit!

The Lamy 2000 is quite the looker.
Nice clean lines.

I'd still rather have any of the other pens, but hey, to each his own.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I would get a used Montblanc 149 with a custom nib and have cash left over for years worth of ink

If you don't mind going the used route, a 149 is a great pen that can be had for about $350. If I were to go new, the Edison pens are wonderful. Be weary of eBay, as there are many fakes out there.

I recently came across a Colibri medium gold plated nib, pump/cartridge combo on the 'bay for less than £10. And the wonderful part is that it writes, no it floats, across even the cheapest recycled paper like an angel's fingertips. Another plus point is the beautiful red and black swirled enamel finish and gold plated clip.
Go on, have a look and take a chance!

Top Bottom