What's new

New following first barber shave

Hello all. I appreciate that most people are not interested in the welcome message so I'll leave it at saying that I had my first barber shave today which has prompted me to learn more. I've been a lurker on and off and already shave using a DE razor and Mitchell's following advice I've found here.

So - I went to BarberBarber today for my haircut and shave and, whilst I have performed the odd better shave myself, it was an enjoyable experience. A couple of questions did come up though:

Why did the barber slap my face with the moisturiser?

Why did he roll up the towel and do a bit of a slapping against my face with it?

I use an alum block at the moment but he said his mix was just 90% salt and 10% talc. Does that sound right? It seemed to work better than my alum.

Hope you can help!

Asherweef

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I don't mind welcome messages. So, welcome to the forums. As far as the barber, I've never had a shave at one, do I'm no use there. I have had a barber use a towel like that to get cut hairs off, so that could be the case with your experience.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks Lightcs1776. I didn't mean to be too down about the welcome message but I know from other forums I'm active on that there tend to be a disproportionate amount of welcome messages versus people who stay(!).

That could be the reason as it was at the very end of the shave and there was an element of wafting involved...

Also - where I put 'mid' I meant mix of salt and talc. Unfortunately I don't know how to edit on my tablet...

Welcome to B&B. Perhaps slapping your face around is a barbers' tradition. :wink2: And I enjoy reading people's greetings. Glad to have you aboard. :thumbup1:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
You got shaved by a barber?

You are brave. The only good barber is a Turkish barber. That's what we have been told .

Most barbers shave few people , so they don't have much experience.

Hi Billski, this particular barbers is part of a small national chain (about 5 over the UK). Whilst I was there they did maybe 8 or 9 shaves in addition to the cuts. ☺ This was a bit of a luxury i guess akin to my partner having her nails done.

I've never tried a Turkish barbers but that could be on the list...!

It has made me interested in giving SE shaving a go. I did once have a shavette which I couldn't get used to but I only gave it a half hearted try.

Graybeard- looks like I misjudged the welcome here!

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Did you perchance happen to discuss gratuities just before he started slapping your face? :001_rolle

Welcome to B&B, Asherweef! We're a friendly community here and introductions are indeed welcome. :001_smile

If you feel like telling us a little bit about yourself you are encouraged to do so in the B&B Hall of Fame here.

Glad you joined us, and again, Welcome!

First, another welcome to B&B. As you can see, we all have a sense of humor here!

Many years ago a barber I went to in NYC (I saw from you HOF entry you are from the UK) would gently slap your face with witch hazel after he was through with a haircut. He also would take a brush with some talc on it and spread it around your neck and ears - the place where he shaved.

Thanks Lightcs1776. I didn't mean to be too down about the welcome message but I know from other forums I'm active on that there tend to be a disproportionate amount of welcome messages versus people who stay(!).

That could be the reason as it was at the very end of the shave and there was an element of wafting involved...

Also - where I put 'mid' I meant mix of salt and talc. Unfortunately I don't know how to edit on my tablet...
No worries. I hope you find this place unique. There's a woodworking forum that is similar. In fact, the shaving discussions, for me anyway, are secondary to the side discussions - firearms, cooking, military discussions, etc.

Personally, I don't mind welcome messages. So, welcome to the forums. As far as the barber, I've never had a shave at one, do I'm no use there. I have had a barber use a towel like that to get cut hairs off, so that could be the case with your experience.

My barber still manages to slap no matter how hard I try to stop him. .

dU5uwWV3RqucQ7InODGZ_Third Hand Slap.gif

Welcome aboard! To me the main point is whether he gave you a terrific shave. The result is the key!

Ha - thanks guys.

The shave was good but not the best (slightly coarse under the chin going against the grain). I do think that I probably got the least enthusiastic chap though as the haircut also wasn't as great as it has been with other members of staff.

Does anybody know if the salt and talc thing is correct?

Welcome!!! I like hearing from where all the new forum members are from. Salt and Talc is news to me. Mine gives a little dusting of talc along my neckline but not on the face.

Top Bottom