What's new

New female user...

You might want to think about using the DE razor on the easier sections of your legs first, leaving the ankles and your armpits for your normal razor. Once you get more experience with a de razor start shaving the harder areas. My wife shaves with a Gillette blue star ladies razor, but still has issues with her ankles. She just uses her venus on her ankles.

Good luck and happy shaving

Thanks for all the great warm welcomes! Such a great community you all have built here! Loving reading all the information here, it's a bit over whelming at times but I've started going through the wikis and checking the stickies. I just received notice that the razor has shipped. So now to eagerly await it. :001_smile

Welcome to both of you. I found that when starting out placing the razor more perpendicular to the skin, and then reducing the angle was a better method than starting parallel. If you start parallel, the razor will first touch your skin at steepest angle, which will result in irritation. By starting at 90 degrees and reducing to somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees, your initial contact will be much gentler. This post explains it better.

Last edited:
Welcome to both of you. I found that when starting out placing the razor more perpendicular to the skin, and then reducing the angle was a better method than starting parallel. If you start parallel, the razor will first touch your skin at steepest angle, which will result in irritation. By starting at 90 degrees and reducing to somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees, your initial contact will be much gentler. This post explains it better.

Oh thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try.

Welcome! I wish my wife would join! She tried DE and it just wasn't for her. I tried hard to get her to move away from the canned garbage! Oh well. We look forward to having you on here!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Welcome to you both.

The great thing, in my opinion, about DE and Straight razors is that they don't clog up with . . . stuff. The biggest thing is that cartridges are somewhat forgiving but with DEs and Straights you need to be extra vigilant to avoid any sideways movements.

** WE HAVE THE RAZOR!!!!*** :001_smile

Thanks everyone for all the warm welcomes and tips!

I already was thinking of leaving my arm pits for my regular razor for a while! Too scared so I know it will take practice with my legs until I get comfortable with it.

The razor felt good in my hand, so we'll see how it feels when I start shaving with it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
** WE HAVE THE RAZOR!!!!*** :001_smile

Thanks everyone for all the warm welcomes and tips!

I already was thinking of leaving my arm pits for my regular razor for a while! Too scared so I know it will take practice with my legs until I get comfortable with it.

The razor felt good in my hand, so we'll see how it feels when I start shaving with it.

That's excellent! It will take you some time to get used to it but you should be right! If you have any questions, do not hesitate!

handle almost parallel to the skin.

Don't you mean handle almost perpendicular to the skin? Handle parallel to the skin would put the blade at a 90-degree angle--pretty much the worst angle you could get.

Basically, here's the way I think about angle: you want to cut your hair, not your skin. So, you try to get the blade as parallel to the skin as you can and still cut your hair, which usually means the blade barely touching with no pressure at all. Also, take your time--trying to hurry will result in bad technique and increased pressure. Trust me, at some point you'll be tempted to through, especially if you're running late to something or encounter a soap/cream that doesn't agree with your skin. Don't do it.

Top Bottom