What's new

New Feather Artist Club Super Razor

You're correct about the grip. That's why I opted for the non-folding, after watching GeoFatBoy review both. The non-folding has a resin handle, totally different. It has fantastic grip, so even if you have lather on your fingers you can still hold the razor firmly. Besides, it was smth. new to try, as I never used a kamisori before, so I thought why not. Great, great shaver, but it requires utmost attention, so I rarely use it.

I've decided to dedicate myself to acquiring the ability to move towards SR and the Feather SS is my starting point. The way you describe the kamisori version would be much more natural for me to use as it's a knife style which is what I'd be use to handling.

The scales of the feather SS really do get in the way of the shave because of the bulk and angle, so I've found myself having to move them a couple of time during the shave especially when going ATG on the neck as they jut out.

The feather professional blade is a pleasure too. BUT I honestly thought these AC blades would have a longer life as many report being able to get in excess of 10 shaves... I got 8 out of the Schick proline before I called it. On shave 8, I felt the "CAUTION" sirens due to the fact that my pressure had to go up and I was resorting to new tactics to cut. Because I am new, it could be a few things... my stubble is coarser than most and that my technique and angles as a beginner weren't that great causing the blade to get duller quicker or it could be that the AC blades are good for 7 shaves. I did pull it out of the Hawk after 4 shaves mind you...

It's only been 7 shaves with it so far... I think this new AC Super Razor in the Kamisori style would have been far better to begin my journey with on reflection. Less to content with and a more "pure" cutting experience taking all factors in consideration. That resin handle sounds amazing, Feather SS folding isn't comfortable to hold compared to many other razors, it's just not. The wavy jimps are like.. well.... "why???". But I would have never known if I didn't shave with it... When I do a full review on it for my youtube channel it will be a very significant point.

I can certainly now use the Feather SS as a daily driver and can get a long lasting shave with it...just it takes me too long to shave with it at the moment.

I've decided to dedicate myself to acquiring the ability to move towards SR and the Feather SS is my starting point. The way you describe the kamisori version would be much more natural for me to use as it's a knife style which is what I'd be use to handling.

The scales of the feather SS really do get in the way of the shave because of the bulk and angle, so I've found myself having to move them a couple of time during the shave especially when going ATG on the neck as they jut out.

The feather professional blade is a pleasure too. BUT I honestly thought these AC blades would have a longer life as many report being able to get in excess of 10 shaves... I got 8 out of the Schick proline before I called it. On shave 8, I felt the "CAUTION" sirens due to the fact that my pressure had to go up and I was resorting to new tactics to cut. Because I am new, it could be a few things... my stubble is coarser than most and that my technique and angles as a beginner weren't that great causing the blade to get duller quicker or it could be that the AC blades are good for 7 shaves. I did pull it out of the Hawk after 4 shaves mind you...

It's only been 7 shaves with it so far... I think this new AC Super Razor in the Kamisori style would have been far better to begin my journey with on reflection. Less to content with and a more "pure" cutting experience taking all factors in consideration. That resin handle sounds amazing, Feather SS folding isn't comfortable to hold compared to many other razors, it's just not. The wavy jimps are like.. well.... "why???". But I would have never known if I didn't shave with it... When I do a full review on it for my youtube channel it will be a very significant point.

I can certainly now use the Feather SS as a daily driver and can get a long lasting shave with it...just it takes me too long to shave with it at the moment.

Kai Captain or Feather DX folders might also work well for you. Those two have much better jimps. If you want to try out Kamisori style shavettes, one low-cost option is this - https://www.amazon.com/ShearsDirect...hearsdirect+artist+club&qid=1615504957&sr=8-1

I have this one and I like it more than my SS and DX. It also uses artist club blades. If you are willing to wait a bit, you can find this shavette on aliexpress for 8 or 9 bucks

Kai Captain or Feather DX folders might also work well for you. Those two have much better jimps. If you want to try out Kamisori style shavettes, one low-cost option is this - https://www.amazon.com/ShearsDirect...hearsdirect+artist+club&qid=1615504957&sr=8-1

I have this one and I like it more than my SS and DX. It also uses artist club blades. If you are willing to wait a bit, you can find this shavette on aliexpress for 8 or 9 bucks

Thank you. Yes, I will look into this and probably get that one from aliexpress, thank you. I am in no rush, I have many razors, blades, soaps etc. to last me a very very long time.

Also the fact that you prefer this razor and have reached a conclusion after the feather DX and SS and that I am currently making the same exact conclusion confirms my experience.

This is what I managed to find:9.09US $ 35% OFF|6 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33054812953.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.53c67037p34vWW&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.169870.0&scm_id=1007.13339.169870.0&scm-url=1007.13339.169870.0&pvid=86dbae5e-341a-4714-8311-55e912d1db57&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller,scm-url:1007.13339.169870.0,pvid:86dbae5e-341a-4714-8311-55e912d1db57,tpp_buckets:668%230%23131923%2392_668%230%23131923%2392_668%23888%233325%235_668%23888%233325%235_668%232846%238109%231935_668%232717%237567%23905_668%231000022185%231000066059%230_668%233468%2315607%2356_668%232846%238109%231935_668%232717%237567%23905_668%233164%239976%23949_668%233468%2315607%2356

Is that the one?

刀身の重さだけで剃れる、フェザーアーティストクラブSR新登場!! 理容よもやま話 (fc2.com)

This is the only blog I could find on this razor. If you use Chrome, it auto-translates the page. Didn't really learn anything useful, but there are a couple of nice photos here
A screenshot of a translation of the blade exposure. Exposure is the same as the SS. So assuming the lip is not very prominent, maybe it will shave a like an aggressive SS, somewhere in the middle between the SS and DX. Will be interesting to see in real life as the blade exposure could change the dynamics of how it feels beyond a simple comparison.
Feather-SR-blade-exposure.jpg

Well, you know I always take any advice on blade longevity with a BIG grain of salt. Some folks, have thin facial hair and sparse growth, so you'll often see those people quoting as many as 50 shaves/blade. They are the folks who shave 1 WTG pass total BBS. Good for them.

You my friend are at the opposite end, having not only tick hair by diameter, but also very dense growth and AFAICT, you like a BBS... so no wonder you get "only" 8 shaves out of the blade. I don't think that's bad TBH.

Here's Geo demonstrating "kamisori":

It's a bit amusing that the pictures on the website, show both the scaled style version and the kamisori style version, both being held kamisori style.

When I bought my SS I bought the kamisori style, just because I wanted to experience that.

But if I was going to buy another one, I think I'd go western with scales. That system feels more secure and controlled in my hand. Maybe that's just because I'm used to that.

Top to bottom, Left to right: Kasho Kai Captain, Feather DX Scotchwood, Feather DX Teak, Feather SR

Shaved the SR last night, while I haven't used the SS, I chose the DX because the edge of the holder was thinner and consensus seemed to be it had a more straight razor like ride. The SR seems to be in between the DX and the SS in terms of the thickness of the edge. What seems to be a bigger difference between the DX and the SR is the height, the DX is taller, longer belly, which felt like it made angle maintenance over contours a touch slower, made for a more forgiving ride and seeming a bit less blade feel/feedback than the DX. I like them both, but of all these I think I prefer the ride/feel of the DX best as I like blade feel.

proxy.php

Top to bottom, Left to right: Kasho Kai Captain, Feather DX Scotchwood, Feather DX Teak, Feather SR

Shaved the SR last night, while I haven't used the SS, I chose the DX because the edge of the holder was thinner and consensus seemed to be it had a more straight razor like ride. The SR seems to be in between the DX and the SS in terms of the thickness of the edge. What seems to be a bigger difference between the DX and the SR is the height, the DX is taller, longer belly, which felt like it made angle maintenance over contours a touch slower, made for a more forgiving ride and seeming a bit less blade feel/feedback than the DX. I like them both, but of all these I think I prefer the ride/feel of the DX best as I like blade feel.

proxy.php
Did you mean to type SR in the section above where it is highlighted in bold red? Or the other way around?

Thanks for the picture and first impressions.

Eben Stone

Staff member

Yep. My thoughts exactly.

Especially the scales getting in the way and the wavy shank. Maybe it's not possible, but I would prefer a sharp spikey super knurl shank all the way around.

I have both the SS version (folding) and this new one. The balance point is just around the notched part, and the grip is fantastic. The smaller lip allows for a more shallow angle, even with the shick blade or the feather pro blade. In my SS i need to use the feather super blade to get the angle i prefer. The SS folding version is a bit to blade heavy, but this one is just like i like it for my shaving style.
1618041360575.jpeg

Did you mean to type SR in the section above where it is highlighted in bold red? Or the other way around?

Thanks for the picture and first impressions.

Corrected below:

What seems to be a bigger difference between the DX and the SR is the height, the SR is taller, longer belly, which felt like it made angle maintenance over contours a touch slower, made for a more forgiving ride and seeming a bit less blade feel/feedback than the DX. I like them both, but of all these I think I prefer the ride/feel of the DX best as I like blade feel.

Top Bottom