What's new

New Feather Artist Club Super Razor

Feather appears to have recently launched a new series of Artist Club products. These are the differences I've spotted so far:
  • Looks are similar to the DX
  • Wedgy profile but with lipped design, reminiscent of the SS but possibly less pronounced?
  • Folding has more traditional jimps instead of the wavy profile found on the SS.
  • J-style has a different grip
Information is currently only available in Japanese. The razor is already available from some Japanese sellers on the Bay for about 150 Euros.

1614352521127.png

Interesting that an English meaning was given to the abbreviation: SR = Super Razor. I wonder if this is meant more as a lower cost DX. Some have speculated why the DX costs twice as much an SS when both are stainless steel, ignoring that they are manufactured and finished differently from each other. It does appear from the drawing that it may have relaxed SS profile, but I am also thinking it might be close to the previous RG model. That maybe this is a new & improved RG?

Absolutely enjoy my original Feather AC RG. After eleven years of great shaves, it looks and feels brand new.
Are you saying the new SR is like the RG? I think the original poster is offering and seeking info on the new Feather SR razor.

Lip profile of the Feather RG including a rusty blade. It looks similar but not exactly like this new SR profile. (I was using the RG as a reference to compare against the new AliExpress shavette, which came with a bent tail but otherwise functional.
FeatherRG-AliExpress_20191003.jpg

Any translators in the house?

O.H.
I don't speak Japanese but I used Google Translate's phone app, which lets you use the camera and translates in near real time. It mentions better grip and a rounded lip and doesn't explicitly say what makes it different from SS or DX. Just based on the photos that rounded lip seems less prominent than SS but hard to say for sure.

• Wedgy profile but with lipped design, reminiscent of the SS but possibly less pronounced?
FWIW, I have always considered the "lip" on my SS to be a pure marketing gimmick. Paired with Feather Pro Super blade, it shaves as close as any true SR. Besides, I shave with ultra shallow angle, having the spine almost touching my face, so the lip doesn't make much contact with my skin, let alone "push" it.

Just based on the photos that rounded lip seems less prominent than SS but hard to say for sure.
Definitely looks like it slots between the SS and DX lines. This seems like it would make the SS irrelevant.

I'd be curious on reviews of handle (of the kamisori style). Looks like gunk can develop inside and would be a pain to clean.

FWIW, I have always considered the "lip" on my SS to be a pure marketing gimmick. Paired with Feather Pro Super blade, it shaves as close as any true SR. Besides, I shave with ultra shallow angle, having the spine almost touching my face, so the lip doesn't make much contact with my skin, let alone "push" it.

With Schick Prolines, I also dont feel the lip very much. But its very much noticeable when using the Feather Professionals which have less exposure

刀身の重さだけで剃れる、フェザーアーティストクラブSR新登場!! 理容よもやま話 (fc2.com)

This is the only blog I could find on this razor. If you use Chrome, it auto-translates the page. Didn't really learn anything useful, but there are a couple of nice photos here
Very helpful. Clearer pictures of the kamisori handles ... and the difference between the black kamisori with the blue and pink ones. Ugh, not a fan either way. I guess I'll hold out for the DX.

Translation:

You can shave only by the weight of the blade. We have achieved a weight balance that allows you to operate without wasting force even on dark beards. The "roundness" of the tip is gentle on the skin. The synergistic effect with the weight balance has realized smooth shaving. A feeling of grip that you can hold firmly. Leather Japanese razor The anti-slip part of the razor has achieved the strongest grip in the history of feathers. Demonstrates operability. 10 ° sword protrusion front image of the sword The hip-up grip determines the position of the handle. Because of its power, I could easily shave a dark beard. The ideal balance between the blade and the handle! Customer testimonials The grip of Japanese razors is amazing. It doesn't slip no matter how you hold it. The roundness and thickness of the tip made the operation very smooth.

I've been using the feather SS daily for the last 7 days on my amateur youtube channel as my introduction toward SR shaving.

What I've found is that the rounded lip on the SS has meant that I have to ride it and use a bit of pressure to get that cutting angle happening. Though I've not used SR, I figure that they are different due to this lip placing pressure on the skin. And I have coarse stubble so I imagine this action is probably more pronounced on me.

This is a step in between, it looks like the lip can be ridden but according the description and profile of the lip... "feather" pressure is required to generate the cutting angle whilst riding the lip.

Personally I think this design is really achieving what the Feather SS was meant to do and why it has the lip. I should say that the grip of the feather SS isn't great... many SRs have deeper sharper jimps for grip for the thumb. This razor has a smoother jimps which I've discover isn't that good for grip. More control is better for me especially at the beginning of my journey.

That's my thoughts after using only the feather ss for the last 7 days. I much prefer the scales of the SS out the lot them them. it can fold nicely and even stand.

feather SS.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using the feather SS daily for the last 7 days on my amateur youtube channel as my introduction toward SR shaving.

What I've found is that the rounded lip on the SS has meant that I have to ride it and use a bit of pressure to get that cutting angle happening. Though I've not used SR, I figure that they are different due to this lip placing pressure on the skin. And I have coarse stubble so I imagine this action is probably more pronounced on me.

This is a step in between, it looks like the lip can be ridden but according the description and profile of the lip... "feather" pressure is required to generate the cutting angle whilst riding the lip.

Personally I think this design is really achieving what the Feather SS was meant to do and why it has the lip. I should say that the grip of the feather SS isn't great... many SRs have deeper sharper jimps for grip for the thumb. This razor has a smoother jimps which I've discover isn't that good for grip. More control is better for me especially at the beginning of my journey.

That's my thoughts after using only the feather ss for the last 7 days. I much prefer the scales of the SS out the lot them them. it can fold nicely and even stand.

View attachment 1235090
You're correct about the grip. That's why I opted for the non-folding, after watching GeoFatBoy review both. The non-folding has a resin handle, totally different. It has fantastic grip, so even if you have lather on your fingers you can still hold the razor firmly. Besides, it was smth. new to try, as I never used a kamisori before, so I thought why not. Great, great shaver, but it requires utmost attention, so I rarely use it.

Top Bottom