What's new

New Favorite Razor (Schick Hydro 5)

So today I bought the Schick Hydro 5 Sensitive and used it for the first time. I was so impressed I decided to make an account on here just to leave a review (Saw a review about it on here that convinced me to buy it).

So a little background buying razors and finding shaving cream has always been a problem. I perfected my shaving technique and still would get razor bumps the size of Mount Everest and ingrown hairs (occasionally). In boot camp it actually go bad enough the doc gave me a "No Shave Waiver" for 4 days. Anyways, before buying the Schick Hydro I was using Bic Hybrid 5 Flex disposable razor which was the best razor up in till a month ago. The Bic last month was one of the worse shaves of my life which sent me on a quest to find a razor. During this time I tried different cartridge razors, double edge safety razors, and an electric shaver.

When I used the Schick Hydro tonight I was in utter shock at how smooth it was. My face had no irritation and no razor bumps. On top of that it was one of the closest shaves of my life (it rivals the closeness you can get with a safety razor). I really do not know how to put into words this amazing experience. The few cons I noticed was an oily goo coming the lube strip (which i found out was caused by my shaving cream......not that big of a deal) and there were times i felt as if the razor was going to cut me but it didn't.

All in all after the first shave I was impressed. Now time to judge the durability of the cartridges and how long the blades st sharp.

I'm glad that you've found the razor that works best for you. Keep us posted on how your journey progresses.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Did you try a Gillette tech ball end razor? Widely available on the 'bay. They are very mild, easy to use, great with Feather blades, and cost $10 to $25.

I never had luck with the Schick hydro 5 myself, but I love the Gillette Fusion Proglide. Just curious if you tried the Gillette, as I find it to be much better than the Schick. Of course, if the Schick works for you, that is great.

I am sorry for the late reply I have been on vacation.
So the Schick Hydro is still working out amazing I have not had to change the cartridge out yet. And it is still just as sharp as when I first used it. Some things I noticed is if I missed a day or two shaving I'll have to shave a second time (it left little patches they weren't to noticeable but I have OCD so i shaved a second time) the blades are still holding up and have not felt the need to change it. And for the first time ever I could use soap instead of shaving cream and did not even get irritation from it. I also don't need to use aftershave anymore (I still do sometimes because my girlfriend likes the way it smells)

Now Gillette has always been a favorite of mine and haven't tried the Fusion Proglide. Honestly I probably will not try the Fusion because it is to expensive and the Schick (which in my opinion is expensive) is cheaper than Gillette and has far exceeded my expectations.

I'm going to try the Schick hydro 5 again to see how I like it using traditional wet shaving products along with it.

I am sorry for the late reply I have been on vacation.
So the Schick Hydro is still working out amazing I have not had to change the cartridge out yet. And it is still just as sharp as when I first used it. Some things I noticed is if I missed a day or two shaving I'll have to shave a second time (it left little patches they weren't to noticeable but I have OCD so i shaved a second time) the blades are still holding up and have not felt the need to change it. And for the first time ever I could use soap instead of shaving cream and did not even get irritation from it. I also don't need to use aftershave anymore (I still do sometimes because my girlfriend likes the way it smells)

Now Gillette has always been a favorite of mine and haven't tried the Fusion Proglide. Honestly I probably will not try the Fusion because it is to expensive and the Schick (which in my opinion is expensive) is cheaper than Gillette and has far exceeded my expectations.

I know this is an old thread but it has inspired me to take out my Schick Hydro 5 again. Tomorrow morning's shave. Aces!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have not tried a Schick Hydro 5 yet. I might have to see if we still sell them at work.

I've been using it for four shaves and wow, I think this is the best cartridge razor I've ever used. Less irritation then my usual two blade Gillet Skinguard, which is strange but true.

This is the case for me also. For cartridge razors the Hydro 5 is the best I have tried. I have always gotten better shaves from Schick than Gillette (the QC just seems to be better).

Top Bottom