What's new

New Fattip grande

So I received my new Fattip grande in the mail yesterday.
Was in a hurry as I had to make a birthday party.
Decided immediately that i hated the handle as it was too short and only had grooves running the long axis. I swapped it out for the long knurled handle that came with my Merkur and it felt much better in my hand.
It's definitely more aggressive than my Merkur. I put a Persona blue in it, whipped up some Proraso Red cream and applied the Proraso Red pre shave cream for good measure.
Pretty good shave for a hurried first run. Going to enjoy breaking in the new razor.

I enjoy my Fatip Grande as well. I have one in gold plating and it is really nice.

Chubby_Fatip.JPG

If your experience with the Fatip Grande is anything like mine you will find that the more you use it the more you will enjoy it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My Grande is also gold and it was love at first shave.

On my 7th shave with it I started shaving directly ATG first pass. With two of the I think 17 different blades I've tried in it so far, Gillette Yellow and Polsilver gave me a one pass BBS shave with only one very light clean up over my neck.

They are fantastic razors and the more you use it the more you'll appreciate it and what its actually capable of.

My Grande is also gold and it was love at first shave.
On my 7th shave with it I started shaving directly ATG first pass. With two of the I think 17 different blades I've tried in it so far, Gillette Yellow and Polsilver gave me a one pass BBS shave with only one very light clean up over my neck.
They are fantastic razors and the more you use it the more you'll appreciate it and what its actually capable of.

I also think the Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows are great in this razor.

I plan on trying the polsilver next, i started with the persona out of caution.
I need to get a hold of some Gillette yellows.

I just picked one up a few days ago and have shaved with it every shave since. It's been a bit of a learning curve, as I was coming from the world's most forgiving razor, the RR TeckII. I've had more irritation than I'm accustomed to, but every shave has been better than the last. By this morning I had enough confidence to attempt an @Esox style single pass ATG BBS shave. It actually worked! It was probably more of a 1.5 pass shave since there was a fair bit of buffing cleanup involved, but it worked. There were a few weepers involved when I wasn't cautious about angle & pressure when rounding the chin, but the bottom line is this razor is a Ferrari. 12hrs later, I'm still near DFS level which is impressive. The key for me with this razor is cap riding low angle and a very sharp blade (permasharp super) YMMV. A single pass shave is totally unnecessary, but this razor truly is capable of it, and it does so with an impressive, tug free smoothness.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I just picked one up a few days ago and have shaved with it every shave since. It's been a bit of a learning curve, as I was coming from the world's most forgiving razor, the RR TeckII. I've had more irritation than I'm accustomed to, but every shave has been better than the last. By this morning I had enough confidence to attempt an @Esox style single pass ATG BBS shave. It actually worked! It was probably more of a 1.5 pass shave since there was a fair bit of buffing cleanup involved, but it worked. There were a few weepers involved when I wasn't cautious about angle & pressure when rounding the chin, but the bottom line is this razor is a Ferrari. 12hrs later, I'm still near DFS level which is impressive. The key for me with this razor is cap riding low angle and a very sharp blade (permasharp super) YMMV. A single pass shave is totally unnecessary, but this razor truly is capable of it, and it does so with an impressive, tug free smoothness.

:thumbup1:

Knowing your beard map is critical. Coming from straights I'm sure you have that down. Picking the right blade that combines sharpness and smoothness is even more critical of a single pass shave, but yep, it can be done. With these razors I'm still stunned by how easily it can be accomplished. I try that every shave, but not all blades let me have it.

Perma-Sharp Super didnt work as well for me in my Grande, but in my Gillette Regent it is The Blade. The longer I used it the better it got. It seems like they get sharper and smoother past the 4th shave.

@Dovo1695 try the Gillette Nacet because is a bit sharper and a lot smoother than the Perma-Sharp Super, trust me you'll be amazes when you try the Gillette Nacet using the Fatip Grande or the Fatip Testina Gentile.

@Dovo1695 try the Gillette Nacet because is a bit sharper and a lot smoother than the Perma-Sharp Super, trust me you'll be amazes when you try the Gillette Nacet using the Fatip Grande or the Fatip Testina Gentile.

Nacet, Perma-Sharp, and Polsilver are my trinity of joy. Not coincidentally, they all come from the same factory in Russia (PPI). I've tried the Perma-Sharp and the Polsilver Super Iridium so far with this razor, and the Nacet is definitely on deck.

Gillette Yellow and Derby Extra.

Gillette Yellow is one of the few PPI blades I haven't tried, buy it confirms the trendline. This thing seems to like PPI blades, or sharp blades in general.

You're the only person on earth that could convince me to give Derby blades another chance, but I'll give it a shot because BOSC...:001_tongu

Nacet, Perma-Sharp, and Polsilver are my trinity of joy. Not coincidentally, they all come from the same factory in Russia (PPI). I've tried the Perma-Sharp and the Polsilver Super Iridium so far with this razor, and the Nacet is definitely on deck.
@Dovo1695 FYI Gillette's plant in St. Petersburg, Russia they make:-

Astra Superior Platinum
Astra Stainless Steel
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless
Gillette Minora
Gillette Nacet Stainless
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Stainless
Perma-Sharp Super