What's new

New "Fat Boy" Coming!

I just ordered a new Gillette "Fat Boy" from Ebay. The seller writes that it has been cleaned and sanitized and I'm wondering whether or not I should boil the razor after I clean it with Scrubbing Bubbles or just soap and water, I'm not a germ freak. Having never used an adjustable before I'm wondering whether or not I should begin with any particular blade, I have Derby's, Merkurs, Feathers, Wilkinson's, and American Personna's. Also, at what number should I set the adjustment?

I paid $60 for the razor, box, and original blue blades, with "only minor cosmetic signs of wear".....................fair price? Thanx

I hope you enjoy the fatboy a lot of people so. Yes i would say you need to sanitize it. AS for the rest I will let someone who knows more take that part.

Fuzzy

I would use the scrubbing Bubbles and an old toothbrush and not worry after that. That stuff kills 99% of all germs [so it says on the can]. I use Derbys in my Fatboy and have it set on 4, but start a little lower and work up. Also, loosen the doors when you adjust the settings.

Kind of higher end of the price spectrum...I sold one in near mint condition for $40 w/o case and felt I screwed the guy over? If you feel it was a good price then thats all that matters:)

I just got a Fatboy myself here the other day and I was thinking of a setting of "5" judging by what i could see the angle of the blade. "4" sounds like a good start as well. I'm going to use it for the first time here in the next hour or so. Good luck on your shave.

My Fatboy F4 is my everyday razor. I usually shave with a Crystal with a setting of 5. Red Personnas work fine also with the same setting. I find Merkurs and Wilkinson Classic to feel way too dull in the Fatboy and my other razors (Slim, SS). This is what works for me, your face may vary.

No offense but if you bought it from Reynoldsart, you DID get screwed. He is notorious for selling overpriced items. Also, make sure it's the exact same one he has in his picture, otherwise, he is breaking the law and committing mail fraud.

I don't think that $60 is too high if the razor is in good condition. I've paid $50 for a fatboy without the case and I know that I got a bargain. I've seen others go for that amount, on this board and I've seen them go on the bay for more.

And yes, it's always possible to purchase a razor for less - and I mean always. One fellow on this board purchased a Wilkinson sticky, NIB for something like $40. These things generally sell in the hundreds. I paid $20 for a GEM once. The same razor just sold on the bay for about $6. I've also paid a few dollars for a razor, or got razors in a lot and sold them for significantly more than I paid.

My view: there will always be someone who was able to buy a razor for less than you bought it.

Enjoy the razor, it's one of the classics. At the moment, I have four of them.

I thought the subject of this thread might have caused some around here to wet their pants..

( if they thought someone was producing a "new" Fat Boy razor ) :lol:

Top Bottom