What's new

New Espresso set-up BES920+Macap MXT

Greetings all.

After getting rid of my last set up a couple of years back my Wife decided it would be a good pre birthday present to hook me up again with an entry level home nut job set-up.
My last machine/grinder combo was $7K worth but our budget is much smaller this time round.
The quest of course is to get the same result for a lot less money and I am fairly happy to report we got fairly close IMHO.

Went with the current 920 series Breville dual boiler ($1300NZ) and managed to score a second hand Macap MXT from a roasting mate in Auckland for just under ($600NZ).

I prefer the bottomless (naked) PF's especially if making several coffee's at a time and also opted for the VST 20gm basket this time round vs the 18gm last time. Having said that the breville basket is really very good and I still use it in the twin spout when splitting shots. It takes 19 gms.

Still got the crappy Tamper but can't blame the tools its not too bad just used to a bit more weight and a tighter fit but shots are sweet so all good. Have a friend making a custom one hopefully.

Got 2 mates roasting for me and have settled on a blend for the milk based drinks. Had some "Red Brick" from Square Mile sent over and quite stunning Spro's but not too cost effective :) Coffee Supreme in Wellington is where I get my treat coffee from when the budget allows.

How are others finding the Breville BDB's ?

$Breville BDB.jpg

ALL RIGHT....

Welcome to the extreme brew club

Let us know how all of the new "toys" work out!!!

VST baskets are the cat's pajamas.

I have the full set from 7 gram single (a hard one to source) up to the whopper 27 gram triple.

Last edited:
Cheers Mick pleased to see you are still around. Have always enjoyed your contributions and you are responsible (joking) for my aftershave collection.

ALL RIGHT....

Welcome to the extreme brew club

Let us know how all of the new "toys" work out!!!

Glad to hear I was able to foo bar up someone expecially in the AS department.

Did you get any GALLONS yet

proxy.php

Chris! What an excellent setup! That "entry level" should keep you happy and upgrade-proof for quite a while! I have my eyes on a BES920, but by the time I'll be able to afford anything, I'll probably be set on something else.

<voice ="Hank Hill>..... I tell you what... </voice>

The wife and I spent 2 months in a rented caravan/RV traveling all around New Zealand for our honeymoon (35 years ago). Don't be surprised if I show up at your door (if I can talk SWMBO into going back).

Beautiful country and exceptional people (the ones we met and parked in their yards). We came this close || to immigrating. Had it all set but chickened out at the last minute.

Lovely kit for returning to the living! I've had my 920 for 4 months now, I'd had a 900 two years before it. I think our friends at Breville have knocked all the flashing off the plastic, polished all the metal corners. We should be good to go for a number of years now that we can descale the boilers. Enjoy the coffee!

If I had NOT found the "broken, needs work" Pasquini..... I had a Breville dual boil in my shopping cart ready to BUY...

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Nice setup Chris. Breville seems to making a name for themselves. Mick, a gallon of aftershave? Yikes.

I dont have a gallon yet Mick :blushing: maybe Floid blue or maybe we can share yours if you change your mind and move to NZ.
Thanks Jess (upgrade proof) lol thats what I thought last time :bored:! Yes Breville have sure put some expert advice into the 920 series.

Top Bottom