What's new

New Duke 3 Manchurian

Simpson recently had ivory Duke 3 Manchurians available. Ivory is my preferred handle color, so I decided to purchase one. My prior Simpson Manchurian experience is with a Chubby 2 and M7. I've never tried a Duke 3 in any Simpson hair grade, but I'm aware of how highly regarded this brush is, even in Best.

The first picture is the new brush out of the box, and the second one is the brush after 3 shaves on consecutive days.

proxy.php

proxy.php

My knot has a diameter of 24.50+mm, with a loft of 48mm. This places it within the range of that 1:2 diameter:loft ratio preferred by many who like backbone.

A lot has been written about the Duke 3 and Simpson Manchurian, so I'll keep my comments brief. The handle on this brush reflects the typical Simpson craftsmanship. The fan knot is nicely and symmetrically shaped, without stray hairs. The brush has not shed a single hair in its first 3 shaves, each of which was 3 passes. The fan shape on this knot makes it feel larger than 24mm. Most of my brushes are bulbs in 26-28mm, but this brush does not feel small on my face. As one would expect on a Manchurian, the knot is soft, but not as soft as Simpson or Shavemac 2-band. The knot has more backbone than I expected for a fan shape. Finally, and perhaps most characteristic of Manchurian, the knot has a lot of scrub without any scritch whatsoever. I like backbone and scrub, so this knot has characteristics which are optimal for me.

This is the smallest handle in my brush arsenal. I have large hands and was concerned the handle may be too small for me. However, those concerns proved unfounded, and the handle is quite comfortable in my hand.

I already know that this brush will have a permanent place in my rotation.

Have a Duke 3 Best from another member here I'm still breaking in (the brush that is). Do you have the ability to compare the Manchurian vs the Best fibers? I love my Duke 3 Best (my kids now saying, "why don't you marry it"...).. You never know - stranger things are happening in the news these days..

Very nice. Speaking out of ignorance regarding Simpson, is Super Badger worth the extra money as compared to Best Badger? Would I notice the difference?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Very nice. Speaking out of ignorance regarding Simpson, is Super Badger worth the extra money as compared to Best Badger? Would I notice the difference?
You would definitely notice the difference between the two. Worth it? Entirely up to you. I have a Chubby 2 and Persian Jar 2 in Super plus 5 other Simpsons in Best. They are totally different in face feel, but all pretty much work the same. I particularly like my Special, Chubby 1 and Duke 3 in Best.

You would definitely notice the difference between the two. Worth it? Entirely up to you. I have a Chubby 2 and Persian Jar 2 in Super plus 5 other Simpsons in Best. They are totally different in face feel, but all pretty much work the same. I particularly like my Special, Chubby 1 and Duke 3 in Best.
Thanks for your advice...appreciate it.

Where would you buy a brush like this? No vender I know sells it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Oh, baby! Beautiful brush! I nearly jumped on that, myself, but I managed to restrain myself.

I have a Rover in Manchurian (faux tortoise), and I love that brush.

Top Bottom