What's new

New Dress Coat

So, this weekend we had the first "snow" storm of the winter. Didn't get much snow, but I did spend a lot of time removing the ice rink that had formed on our driveway. Unfortunately, I didn't think about what coat I grabbed and I ended up spreading ice melt in the wind while wearing my leather coat.

I'm assuming I can take a wet rag and try to wipe the ice melt off the coat. It may not be a lost cause. However, I made the comment to my Agent, mentioning that I had this coat since HS/early college, and she mentioned just getting a new one anyway. So, I have clearance, and thought I'd come here to see what yall would recommend.

This was my "dress" winter coat. It's black leather, zipper front. It's been plenty warm enough for what I typically do in it. And I like that the snow/rain just rolls off of it (it is for winter after all....). My office is not formal at all, and my style is not either. If I had my way, I'd wear jeans and a casual button shirt/sweater during the winter. I guess some may refer to this as being either western or lumberjackish. Though I do want the coat to not scream out of place when going to church or on a nice date with my wife (ie, a "no-jean" place more than coat and tie environment). Any suggestions? Price should be "not stupid" (<$250).

I highly recommend a wool or wool blend topcoat. Look for something around 3/4 length (mid thigh give or take depending on your height). Incredibly versatile from sweater/jeans/boots to a full suit with oxfords. I like them in charcoal and camel color. My current one is a charcoal herringbone pattern I got on clearance at the end of last season for about $60. Macy's has a big selection and they often run sales and promotions.

Works with jeans:

proxy.php

Works with suits:

proxy.php

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Where do you live? What sort of "winter" do you experience? There are different suggestions for guys living in northern Saskatchewan and for guys living in coastal Oregon.

(Re the topcoat idea suggested above ... perhaps not ideal as it will fit well on either your shoulders or the suit jacket that fits well on your shoulders, but not both. A raglan-sleeve coat can help with that, although will be less dressy.)

Where do you live? What sort of "winter" do you experience? There are different suggestions for guys living in northern Saskatchewan and for guys living in coastal Oregon.

(Re the topcoat idea suggested above ... perhaps not ideal as it will fit well on either your shoulders or the suit jacket that fits well on your shoulders, but not both. A raglan-sleeve coat can help with that, although will be less dressy.)

Indiana.

Sheesh, I gotta do everything around here.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...try-to-the-Hall-of-Fame?p=5583066#post5583066

I'm in central Indiana. This morning, the wind chill was -6. That's considered very cold for the area.

I tend to be more casual in my style. I'm blessed to have an office that allows us to dress comfortably. My leather coat was my go-to for dressier events (thus why it was hanging in the mud room when I went to step out). I was considering something along the lines of a peacoat, or even just a new leather coat. It's style is in the vain of a bomber jacket, though without the fur collar and elastic cuffs. Let me know if there are other questions. I appreciate the help.

I know that Nautica has a really nice car coat, as does Calvin Klein. Macy's has them on a big sale just now, and you can also try Burlington Coat Factory. I picked up my Nautica car coat of wool that also was blended with cashmer. It was stitched wrong at the factory, and Burlington gave me a massive discount on it. From $79 to $49, and the manager told me about a dry cleaners they recommend often that fixed it for me, cleaned, and pressed the coat, too. It's so warm that last year when we had wind chill around -25° during the day, I only wore a t-shirt beneath it, and a scarf. I was still sweating!

Just last week I went by there again and picked up this car coat from them fit $79. It's a little longer in the arms, which keeps it from pulling a many winter coats seem to enjoy doing. Car coats are classy and very warm!

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...end-coat?ID=2339772&CategoryID=3763&RVI=PDP_1

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When I lived in Cleveland I always preferred a long coat- I hate wearing thermal pants. I would go wool.

Back when I was "a Suit" I wore a Heavy Long Wool Overcoat , that thing looked GREAT and was WARM ! It was a Name Brand , but I can't recall Who , or What , or what I did with it . Guess I gave it away , but it was nice . Does anyone remember the December of 89 ? I think it was December 9th , lasted 4-5 days , something like that . YIKES ! Wind Chill from Chicago to Dallas , I think , of -60 F ! Actual Temp was like -27 F , Coldest I've EVER Been ! I was in Chicago , and found out why Mushers in the Arctic have Icy Eyebrows , Mustaches , EVERYTHING ! Anything that hit the air was ICE before hitting the ground ! That's when you need a Canadian Tuxedo !

J Crew has fairly nice dress coats that are currently sitting in the sale section for >$250 with the 40-50% code right now. Topcoats, double breasted coats, unconstructed coats, long peacoats, etc.

I feel that a surplus naval greatcoat (from whichever country meets your fancy) is an excellent choice.

The real ones are 100% wool in a very heavy weight.

They are pretty classy looking and will be a safe choice in even the snootiest restaurants - I don't know if this is too formal-looking for your comfort or not.

Cost varies from $50-150 USD.

$greatcoat.jpg

downsides -
  • button closure,
  • real ones (100% wool) are kind of heavy
  • scarf is generally required

advantages -
  • COST - you will not find a comparable (all-wool, same weight/thickness) jacket at this price point.
  • style
  • 100% wool means it will be warm and breathable, and stay warm and breathable even when damp
  • double-breasted closure is completely wind-proof

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I feel that a surplus naval greatcoat (from whichever country meets your fancy) is an excellent choice.

The real ones are 100% wool in a very heavy weight.

They are pretty classy looking and will be a safe choice in even the snootiest restaurants - I don't know if this is too formal-looking for your comfort or not.

Cost varies from $50-150 USD.

View attachment 630262

downsides -
  • button closure,
  • real ones (100% wool) are kind of heavy
  • scarf is generally required

advantages -
  • COST - you will not find a comparable (all-wool, same weight/thickness) jacket at this price point.
  • style
  • 100% wool means it will be warm and breathable, and stay warm and breathable even when damp
  • double-breasted closure is completely wind-proof

That almost makes me wish I lived back in an area that need one.

I really like the British style of quilted outdoor coats. Barbour are a particularly good brand.

$93F4DA37-2441-4E38-B339-9A6209A64E2D.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses so far. Some good options here for sure. I've not had time to actually go LOOK at anything yet, but I'll let everyone know if I get a new coat. :)

Just a Tip , Double Breasted Over Coats , as well as suits come in style for a year or two and go out , again . I'd go with a single breasted coat , classic tailoring , you'll have a coat that will last and last . Collars get big , and small , (sales/designer gimmick) stick to a normal to small size collar ,it'll stay in fashion wise most of the time , and still work when the goofy big collars come back for a year or two . That's if what you're looking for is a dresser overcoat , in everyday casual , classic heavy duty warm never changes , you pretty much can pay a lot or a little . I've got a nice semi dressy casual overcoat heavy and nice , waxed < awesome coat , but I've never worn it . Just haven't , it was expensive , but my regular works still , and I forget about it . ... I forgot about it , until my brother was here , and about to fly out to Boston or Chicago , forgot his coat . I offered him that one , it was just a little tight , but no one would notice , but him . He couldn't believe I'd never worn it ! Nice coat ! Chocolate Brown , Black lined , Heavy and Warm , it could work casual or as a semi dress overcoat (it really could pass for dress these days) .

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
In the northern climes, do double breasted overcoats ever truly go out of style? They offer superior wind protection.

Top Bottom