What's new

New Discovery (to me)

The weather here in Florida has been brutally hot and humid lately. The other day I was having a shave after work (I work outside in the sun and heat) when I wondered to myself if there was a way to add menthol to any shaving soap, at will. I have used soaps that were mentholated during manufacture and enjoyed them; the cooling effect is much appreciated by me in the sweltering heat of a Florida summer, and I wanted to be able to add menthol to non-mentholated soaps. I hopped on Google and sure enough, there is. This is what I ordered from Amazon:
21048078-479F-49C2-A7CE-B88C107746C3.jpeg
49CF5231-58B0-4804-A6B6-5C5373E69839.jpeg

I grabbed a small travel shampoo bottle and filled it up about 2/3 of the way with glycerine, then added about 3 grams of the menthol crystals. Then I went to the kitchen, filled a pot about half way full of water and put it on the stove. I then put the bottle with my concoction into the pot standing up (like you would heat a bottle for a baby.) As the water heated up, the crystals began to dissolve into the glycerine. When they were totally dissolved, I gave the bottle a good shake and went to have a shave. I whipped up a lather of TOBS Grapefruit and added 5 drops of the glycerine/menthol solution to it, then mixed it well. This stuff works great! Nice cooling sensation of the menthol, and the glycerine really puts the lather on another level as well. As the solution cools, the menthol will re-solidify in the top of the bottle like this:
707CDE1D-8A9B-497D-B3BC-CF15EFA69452.jpeg

No problem, when you are prepping for your next shave, toss the bottle into a bowl of hot water for a minute and the menthol liquifies again. I’m sure many of you guys have done this before but it’s new to me so I thought I’d share. The supplies were less than $15 delivered, and will be enough for a year or more. This menthol solution will see a lot of use in the Iloverootbeer household this summer!

Still in the 50s in the AM here!

But I can understand the need for menthol on a sweltering AM!!

Nothing like a nice menthol shave soap and aftershave after a long, hot day! Glad it worked out for you!
Me too! SWMBO used some of it when shaving her legs and enjoyed it as well. I am slowly convincing her that this shaving hobby is cool (no pun intended)

Does that negatively affect the lather at all?
Not really. It's a very concentrated solution, so not much is needed to add to the lather.
I dissolve 12 ounces of menthol crystals into 4 ounces of 190 proof grain alcohol.
For the attached pictures of lather, I added 52 drops, or about 1/16 of an ounce of my liquid menthol. Strong enough that my eyes watered add nose began to run.
It's best to add a few drops at time and mix to get a deal for it .
20190609_091610.jpg 20190609_091649.jpg

Not really. It's a very concentrated solution, so not much is needed to add to the lather.
I dissolve 12 ounces of menthol crystals into 4 ounces of 190 proof grain alcohol.
For the attached pictures of lather, I added 52 drops, or about 1/16 of an ounce of my liquid menthol. Strong enough that my eyes watered add nose began to run.
It's best to add a few drops at time and mix to get a deal for it .
View attachment 988988 View attachment 988989
Ok cool, and thanks for including the pics!

I just recently asked Rod at Stirling Soap if he could mentholate a jar of Piacenza for me. Wouldn’t that be nice for summer?

He said they can’t once the soap has been poured and hardened, which makes sense.

However, he said they were preparing to release a menthol additive that can be dropped onto any soap to prior to use. He’s shooting for an end of June release.

I just recently asked Rod at Stirling Soap if he could mentholate a jar of Piacenza for me. Wouldn’t that be nice for summer?

He said they can’t once the soap has been poured and hardened, which makes sense.

However, he said they were preparing to release a menthol additive that can be dropped onto any soap to prior to use. He’s shooting for an end of June release.
Stirling makes good stuff! I guess the main advantage to making your own is that you can control exactly how mentholated you want it...

Welcome to B&B, Sir Rootbeer!

As you explore, you'll find many great mentholated shave products!
Especially include proraso green!

proraso green.jpg

Top Bottom