What's new

New Decanter Set

I have had a set of (4) Marquis by Waterford double old fashion glasses in the Barcelona pattern and have been on the lookout for some time, a traditional decanter to finish the set. Last Week I finally bit the bullet and bought one. The marquis line from the 1990's were the lower priced line of crystal glassware from Waterford Ireland. They were lead crystal and still met the high quality control standard as the Waterford line, but were machine cut rather than hand cut by an artisan. The main pattern at that time was the Brookside pattern. That pattern is very commonly found these days but the Barcelona pattern was not as popular. Rarely do I see it sold. I am blown away how good this thing looks. It now holds my everyday bourbon.

20210424_233109.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Nice decanter. Just to be safe....you did say they WERE lead crystal, correct? No longer leaded?
Very nice. I have 2 leaded glass decanters, one Waterford and the other I can’t remember the brand of. I very rarely keep anything in them long term due to the possibility of lead leaching into the drink. Whether or not this would actually happen or how much lead would be leached into the spirit is up for debate. I guess if you drink at the pace that @Captain H apparently drinks at you probably wouldn’t have to worry. 😀

Nice decanter. Just to be safe....you did say they WERE lead crystal, correct? No longer leaded?

This one is lead crystal made in the mid to late '90s. I do not keep drink in it long term.

Marquis by Waterford were lead crystal just like their premier line such as Lismore back in the '90s. They were machine cut for the most part so as to keep their price down. I have Lismore and Southbridge Waterford, and this is almost equal in appearance in my opinion. The current line of Marquis is non lead crystalline (crystal glass) and is safe for long term spirit storage. After the Harvard paper on lead leach in crystal decanters was published in 1992, all crystal manufacturers took a huge hit in sales. Keep in mind that the study was done on port wine, acetic acid (for a control), and wine. The highest pH of the three liquids was 3.0 where as whiskey is between 6 to 7. I wish they would have included whiskey since no one stores wine in a loose glass stopper bottle for long term. They also used California prop. 65 standards as their max lead levels, where in my opinion is wrong. Prop. 65 says .5 micrograms per liter or more requires a warning on products. EPA says 12 micrograms a day for an adult male. EPA and OSHA say ten times the EPA standard before if can cause blood lead levels to be too high.

I have included the study at the link below.

Potential lead exposures from lead crystal decanters. - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1694534/

Top Bottom