What's new

New DE User Tries Feathers -- Great Shave!

Gentlemen:

I am a returning wetshaver (long story short: about six years ago I ‘went electric’, recently got tired of the mediocre shaves and while ‘googling’ around the web to find a source for Trumpers sandalwood ran across this group). I’ve been lurking for a bit now and based on what I’d read decided to try a DE [had been using my old Sensor – like it, can’t stand the Mach 3 which I tried just before my “electrical experiments”].

I’ve had my Futur for about three weeks now. It is a bit of a handful and has taken some getting used to. My thanks for everyone (Joe Lerch, in particular) who has commented on DEs in general and the Futur in particular. I am sure that the guidance has saved me from a few mishaps. (To date no cuts, but usually one or two nicks per shave.)

The reason (finally) for this post is to rave about Feather blades. When I ordered my Futur (from Classicshaving.com) I also ordered extra Merkur blades and (in a second order – you’re right, this shaving thing is addicting!) I somewhat nervously decided to order Feathers, with the idea I’d get used to the Futur before I put a scalpel to my throat.

Well, this morning as I was shaving I noticed the Merkur blade seemed a bit dull after I had completed several passes. Dug around under the sink for the Merkur pack and saw the Feathers sitting there and thought, ‘what the heck, why not?’

My Lord what an experience!! That new blade went across my face as if it were floating on air. There seemed to be no friction, though I could hear and ‘sense’ whiskers were being cut and to the touch the skin was very smooth). I made my usual two passes with ‘touch ups’ and when I was done I was pleased to have such a smooth shave with no irritation and no cuts, nicks etc. None.

As I look over the shave I’m sure that because I was using Feathers I was more careful in terms of pressure and technique, but I also have to give most of the credit to the blade. Something that sharp doesn’t need much pressure, so voila, a great shave.

So, I guess the lesson for me – and something for other shavers, especially beginners to consider – is to give the Feathers (or maybe different blades) a try. As people (rightly) point out, everyone’s different, so try something different. As I learned, a neophyte DE user using what most experienced shavers consider a fairly aggressive razor and the sharpest blade on the market actually got a great and trouble free shave.

Thanks again, guys.

-- Bill

Bill,

Welcome to Badger and Blade, and thank you for sharing your experience! I haven't yet tried a feather DE blade, but many around these parts swear by them. Hopefully your experience continues to be good.

As for nicks being a common problem for you, that is something that should be fixable. If they continue, feel free to post for some advice, such as it is.

Welcome to B&B Bill. I am happy to hear that you have had great success with wetshaving. I think that you are the exception rather than the rule when it comes to a new wetshaver having success with a feather blade.

I would caution new users against using a feather blade until they have gained more experience using a merkur blade. These blades are unforgiving for new users and caution should be observed accordingly.

Bill, I look forward to hearing more from you.

I was one of the exceptions as well..........with the first week of using a saftey I threw in a feather and had excellent results. Welcome and enjoy!!!

Gentlemen:

I am a returning wetshaver (long story short: about six years ago I ‘went electric’, recently got tired of the mediocre shaves and while ‘googling’ around the web to find a source for Trumpers sandalwood ran across this group). I’ve been lurking for a bit now and based on what I’d read decided to try a DE [had been using my old Sensor – like it, can’t stand the Mach 3 which I tried just before my “electrical experiments”].

I’ve had my Futur for about three weeks now. It is a bit of a handful and has taken some getting used to. My thanks for everyone (Joe Lerch, in particular) who has commented on DEs in general and the Futur in particular. I am sure that the guidance has saved me from a few mishaps. (To date no cuts, but usually one or two nicks per shave.)

The reason (finally) for this post is to rave about Feather blades. When I ordered my Futur (from Classicshaving.com) I also ordered extra Merkur blades and (in a second order – you’re right, this shaving thing is addicting!) I somewhat nervously decided to order Feathers, with the idea I’d get used to the Futur before I put a scalpel to my throat.

Well, this morning as I was shaving I noticed the Merkur blade seemed a bit dull after I had completed several passes. Dug around under the sink for the Merkur pack and saw the Feathers sitting there and thought, ‘what the heck, why not?’

My Lord what an experience!! That new blade went across my face as if it were floating on air. There seemed to be no friction, though I could hear and ‘sense’ whiskers were being cut and to the touch the skin was very smooth). I made my usual two passes with ‘touch ups’ and when I was done I was pleased to have such a smooth shave with no irritation and no cuts, nicks etc. None.

As I look over the shave I’m sure that because I was using Feathers I was more careful in terms of pressure and technique, but I also have to give most of the credit to the blade. Something that sharp doesn’t need much pressure, so voila, a great shave.

So, I guess the lesson for me – and something for other shavers, especially beginners to consider – is to give the Feathers (or maybe different blades) a try. As people (rightly) point out, everyone’s different, so try something different. As I learned, a neophyte DE user using what most experienced shavers consider a fairly aggressive razor and the sharpest blade on the market actually got a great and trouble free shave.

Thanks again, guys.

-- Bill
Yes this an oldie, check the post date.Sounds like it could have been written today. Enjoy the older posts!

Top Bottom