What's new

New DE shaver

Hello everyone, I'm a new DE shaver, got sick of paying for the cartridge scam and dreading shaving to the point of going a week without shaving. I've been shaving with an Edwin Jagger DE89KN knurled, a SOC 2-Band and a Captains Choice bowl with Haslinger sheep's milk soap for about two weeks now. I'm loving it and have yet to cut myself (knock on wood). Right now I'm using Feathers but plan to try out 7oclock blacks and a few other blades once those run out. I get a far better shave than with my Schick quatro and with less irritation.

I have a couple questions maybe someone can give input on:
A lot of people on here seem to recommend three passes, but I've found that WTG and XTG is good for a very close shave for me. Am I missing something?
Second, I also shave my head and have seen a lot of people saying I should continue using my cartridge for this. I had about 2 weeks of head growth and went for it with my DE and it was a much easier shave than with my cartridge and less irritation. Is this just a personal thing?
Looking forward to contributing to the forums!
Happy shaving!
JZ

Welcome to the forum, you're definitely lucky to have a close shave without the need to go ATG, since that's what gives me the biggest chance of giving me tiny bloody spots here and there.

Welcome. I never go ATG. WTG and XTG are enough for me. I use straights on my head and face but in the past, when I've used a DE for my head, I've never had a problem. If it works for you, go for it.

Hello there!..welcome to B&B.:)
As stated already ,Do what works for you..but most of all enjoy your new shaving experience.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Regarding your questions, it's fine to ask people on their opinions, but you will get almost as many recommendations as there are members. Our mantra around here is YMMV (your mileage may vary), so the only right answer is what works well for you.

Welcome to the boards, and nice avatar image! I've been DE shaving my face and head since way back in late 2016 :) and my routine is the same as what you described. 2 pass shave, WTG and ATG. I find XTG on my head is awkward and mostly unnecessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to B&B. Do what works for you. Since my beard grows in so many directions I do a 4 pass shave to get all the stubble.

Welcome to B&B! You have an excellent shaving set-up and it sounds like you're doing great. Like others have pointed out already, what works best for you is the "right" way. :thumbsup:

If you are happy with the results of your shave after 2 passes, there is certainly no need to do any more. It sounds as if you are on a great path- getting away from the cartridge trap and seeing good results quickly is a bonus.

Many people recommend sticking with a cartridge initially to shave the scone because it is more awkward than the face. The fact that one cannot see what one is doing means that control of the blade angle takes a little while to learn. You are on fire!

Hello everyone, I'm a new DE shaver, got sick of paying for the cartridge scam and dreading shaving to the point of going a week without shaving. I've been shaving with an Edwin Jagger DE89KN knurled, a SOC 2-Band and a Captains Choice bowl with Haslinger sheep's milk soap for about two weeks now. I'm loving it and have yet to cut myself (knock on wood). Right now I'm using Feathers but plan to try out 7oclock blacks and a few other blades once those run out. I get a far better shave than with my Schick quatro and with less irritation.

A lot of people on here seem to recommend three passes, but I've found that WTG and XTG is good for a very close shave for me. Am I missing something?
Second, I also shave my head and have seen a lot of people saying I should continue using my cartridge for this. I had about 2 weeks of head growth and went for it with my DE and it was a much easier shave than with my cartridge and less irritation. Is this just a personal thing?
Happy shaving!
JZ
Welcome to the forums. You've got some good gear to start with. I only do two passes, one WTG and XTG. No big deal. A lot of people are fanatical about a certain amount of passes and BBS. As long as you get a DFS with no patches of hair with no irritation, I consider it a successful shave. Whatever works for you bro. I have to admit also, that shaving your head with a DE is so much easier than it's made out to be. I was a little apprehensive when doing it but once I did it, I thought, no big deal. Good luck with your future shaves. And as always, stay smooth.

Welcome to Badger & Blade. There isn't much that I can say that hasn't already been said. You are definitely head and shoulders above most beginners and even a lot of shaving veterans. Experiment if you want...and I encourage it...but in the end, if you found a product or a technique that works for you...then stick with it. Most blades are not as sharp as Feather blades. So you are probably able to get a great shave with two passes. If you switch to another blade, you may find that two passes isn't enough. But I think you are doing just fine with what you have!

Welcome to B&B!

Happy shaving!
JZ
It's OK with 2 pass shaving...we even have a society that share their experience. ..the 2 PASS SHAVERS club

OK Newbies, time to join the 2 Pass Perfect Shave Club, who's in?

Top Bottom